Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

As you know Iso the SMS jumped last season and goes up only 10% for 2015. Austin has already said they are in cap hell now. They are going to have some tough decisions.

Yeah, we'll have to see what happens. Isn't it amazing that it seems the only team who never has this problem are the Riders? Yet they have more veterans & are an older team across the board so they're payroll should be bigger than the Ti Cats. 

Actually the Riders had this very problem last season when they lost several players because of cap issues.  Craig Butler being a big name that comes to mind.

I knew there was something I liked about you - I also have a Dieter Brock jersey I wear to most Stamp games. My best buddy and I both have season tickets in the Super Reds and he sits with his Stamps Jersey (Dave Sapunjis) and me with my Dieter Brock jersey and both of us enjoy all the comments and looks we get!

As you know Iso the SMS jumped last season and goes up only 10% for 2015. Austin has already said they are in cap hell now. They are going to have some tough decisions.

Yeah, we'll have to see what happens. Isn't it amazing that it seems the only team who never has this problem are the Riders? Yet they have more veterans & are an older team across the board so they're payroll should be bigger than the Ti Cats. 

Actually the Riders had this very problem last season when they lost several players because of cap issues.  Craig Butler being a big name that comes to mind.

One shouldn`t forget that their 2014 cap woes have even extended unto this year. The Riders have 28 FA`s scheduled to hit the board. They simply didn`t have the cash to extend a lot of these guys during the season when it would have been cheaper to do so. There is still some speculation that the RIders are unlikely to be able to fit a lot of these very good players in under the cap and never mind even discussing adding a couple in FA. It`s why Taman is taking long shot flyers on guys like Richardson.

One shouldn`t forget that their 2014 cap woes have even extended unto this year. The Riders have 28 FA`s scheduled to hit the board. They simply didn`t have the cash to extend a lot of these guys during the season when it would have been cheaper to do so. He will now have to pay top value for these guys as they have undoubtedly heard other offers through back channels already. There is still some speculation that the RIders are unlikely to be able to fit a lot of these very good players in under the cap and never mind even discussing adding a couple in FA. It`s why Taman is taking long shot flyers on guys like Richardson.

One shouldn`t forget that their 2014 cap woes have even extended unto this year. The Riders have 28 FA`s scheduled to hit the board. They simply didn`t have the cash to extend a lot of these guys during the season when it would have been cheaper to do so. He will now have to pay top value for these guys as they have undoubtedly heard other offers through back channels already. There is still some speculation that the RIders are unlikely to be able to fit a lot of these very good players in under the cap and never mind even discussing adding a couple in FA. It`s why Taman is taking long shot flyers on guys like Richardson.

As much as I love seeing Toronto lose... the last thing I wanna see is them fall so far they cease to exist... that sale needs to happen ASAP... get that team some stability...

Agreed. The CFL needs a strong Toronto franchise. Hopefully get them out of the Dome and onto to BMO field. Maybe Torontoians will now realize the city isn't NFL material after the Bills cancelled their Toronto dates, and actually embrace their CFL team.

As much as I love seeing Toronto lose... the last thing I wanna see is them fall so far they cease to exist... that sale needs to happen ASAP... get that team some stability...

Agreed. The CFL needs a strong Toronto franchise. Hopefully get them out of the Dome and onto to BMO field. Maybe Torontoians will now realize the city isn't NFL material after the Bills cancelled their Toronto dates, and actually embrace their CFL team.

Toronto is all about trendy ... A NY or California wannabe ... they have a small but dedicated fan base but good luck adding to that ... BMO field would make things more intimate and affordable (its very, very easy to spend $200 on a CFL outing: downtown and the SkyDome is major expensive)... the CFL will never satisfy the trendy mindset and that's why its been a nightmare for traditional marketing ... they need to develop some kind of new niche/specialty fan identity (non trendy types) to add to the existing fan base ... that means marketing has to change their methods and quit being so shallow ... they need a brand that fits and has the right distinctness ... "bigger & better" won't work in Toronto & "just as good" certainly won't ... they need to find that portion of the population that would be proud of our long time Canadian heritage that care more about football than keeping up with (not the Jones but) NY & LA

@OTTRoughRiders: Per @TimCBaines, WR SJ Green turned down a 3-yr/$600k offer from the #Als.

This is related to story by Herb Zurkowsky in late Nov. where he states:

Green, 29, is eligible to become a free-agent in February and,  for the first time since he arrived in Montreal, there’s a distinct and palpable feeling the 6-foot-3, 220

pounder could be playing elsewhere in 2015 — despite his assertion he wants to return. According to a league source, many veterans want out of the organization, claiming the situation has simply become too dysfunctional. - http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/s-j-green-takes-a-look-at-free-agency

That would mean Montreal would miss two of their best receivers as Duron Carter will be in the NFL next year.

Hard to feel sorry for them though.

Hey, all is not lost though, they still can turn to 37 yr. old Chad Johnson...

And: 

Similarly, Popp might be challenged getting strong-side linebacker Chip Cox’s signature on a new contract before he becomes a free agent. Cox believes he’s the league’s best defensive player and wants to be paid accordingly, according to a source. It’s believed Saskatchewan rush-end John Chick, who earns about $200,000 annually, holds that honour.