Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

Who's the last experienced NI the Bombers signed as a free agent who actually met or exceeded expectations?

Mike Abou-Mechrek?

Obby?

Obby was taken in the Ottawa dispersal draft when they folded.

true true...hhmm....well then....that's a stumper...which is really kinda sad

Lawless said yesterday that Jabar Westerman is on the trade block again. Apparently he got himself in more trouble.

Im a sucker for family reunion. I hope KW trade for him.

Two words - Cauchy Muamba.

LOL - we know Jabar Westerman is not Cauchy Muamba

Yah, I know, just trying to temper the MBB circle jerk mentality of "his brother is great so he must be great - we have to sign him" that was prevalent when Henoc Muamba was around (or when Brett Cameron was going to be the next CFL all-star punter, so we had to trade up to draft him). Sign him if the skills (and any off-field baggage issues) justify it, not because he shares DNA traits with another player. Family ties do not ensure greatness, just ask Brett Gretzky.

Well at the time it wasn't JUST that Henoc was good so people figured Cauchy must be good too, Cauchy was seen as a decent safety as well. He didn't progress and the rest is history but it wasn't just a case of getting a brother here because of the family name. 

Yes he was.......by Joe Mack. 'Nuff said.

by everyone, I swear the amount of revisionist history that goes on around these parts is insane. 

Speaking of revisionist history, take a look at your old posts on Cauchy. You thought he was anything but decent, citing his inability to think on the field or read defences as his fundamental flaws.

But insisting that everyone thought he was decent proves precisely my initial point, that people bought into the myth of Muamba. There was massive speculation that the only reason he was brought in was to entice Henoc to sign a long-term extension and avoid the NFL, which is exactly "a case of getting brother here because of the family name". Mack wouldn't want to admit he'd signed a poor player to a $100,000 dollar contract just to sway his brother while better players were out there, so of course the club sold a bill of goods about how decent he was (Wally Buono letting him walk away scott free notwithstanding). And many posters [you say everyone, but read a few posts down from yours and you'll see at least 5 others (and counting?) who already don't agree] picked up the torch and sang the same song, because they wanted to believe. Wanted to believe that a GM would have some reason other than simply taking a flier on a lousy player as a ploy to keep one other good player from walking. Wanted to believe that he actually was a shrewd judge of talent (I guess we all know how he fared there, don't we?). On a larger scale, wanted to believe in Mack's vision, I guess. Maybe even staked their credibility on it as posters. So they told themselves that he was decent, and not just a stooge brought in to bribe Henoc into staying.

At least I really hope so, because if it WAS because Mack (and those posters) truly saw a good player, then that is really telling about how bad he (and those posters) are about assessing talent. The posters I can forgive, because as fans our desire to see everything in its best light because we want the best for OUR team will blind us to uncomfortable truths at times. But a GM whose sole job it is to build a winner, not so much.

Now personally, Westerman the BC player would intrigue me. Frankly, he has since Buono schooled us at the draft and moved up to take him, leaving us to pretend we wanted lame duck Tyson Pencer all along. Westerman the personality, who clearly has run afoul of the system somewhere along the line, not so keen on. But hopefully any interested organization will vett him properly, and not just look at the last name on his jersey.

So ultimately just trying to prevent people who want that "family reunion" from diving down the rabbit hole again and buying the hype that the lineage means everything. You're welcome.

P.S. Just curious, where is Brett Cameron these days? Lost track of his movements after he got out of the glare of his father's legacy spotlight at training camp in Bomberland.

Who's the last experienced NI the Bombers signed as a free agent who actually met or exceeded expectations?

whoneidhart2.jpg

For established players we took from other teams, I'd agree with Morley. For any NI free agent, it would be Lirim Hajrullahu. After all of the kicking woes since Jon Ryan left for the NFL, can't believe he fell into our laps without another team snapping him up.