Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

Lawless said yesterday that Jabar Westerman is on the trade block again. Apparently he got himself in more trouble.

Im a sucker for family reunion. I hope KW trade for him.

I'd want to have a really good idea of what shenanigans he's been up to before bringing him here.  No need to introduce any bad apples into the barrel.  Wally can be a real hardcase, so it might be a lot of fuss about very little.

Lawless said yesterday that Jabar Westerman is on the trade block again. Apparently he got himself in more trouble.

I'd want to have a really good idea of what shenanigans he's been up to before bringing him here.  No need to introduce any bad apples into the barrel.  Wally can be a real hardcase, so it might be a lot of fuss about very little.

I sure big brother being here would help keep him in check...he can smack him around if need be

I sure big brother being here would help keep him in check...he can smack him around if need be

Agree.

For trade, how 'bout send them Marve/Brohm and the rights to Mulumba/Bilukidi.

Got a feeling Stamps wil get him though.. for a kicker. :wacko:

I don't think we have to worry about any trades for "the other Westerman".

The staff here have already made it apparent that quality in character is equally as important as quality in action.

Unless they believe his brother would be a good check down, he won't be coming here.

I think that Harris looks like a gamer and is going to be fine starting ... but will he be fine enough to overcome all the adversity of this last Argos Skydome season?

Not an Argo fan, but have always been a Ray fan. It sucks to see one of the greats go down like this.

have to agree.  The CFL is better with the marquee QB's playing.  I want to see Ray and Lulay play, because they are good players.

Two words - Cauchy Muamba.

LOL - we know Jabar Westerman is not Cauchy Muamba

Yah, I know, just trying to temper the MBB circle jerk mentality of "his brother is great so he must be great - we have to sign him" that was prevalent when Henoc Muamba was around (or when Brett Cameron was going to be the next CFL all-star punter, so we had to trade up to draft him). Sign him if the skills (and any off-field baggage issues) justify it, not because he shares DNA traits with another player. Family ties do not ensure greatness, just ask Brent Gretzky.

Yah, I know, just trying to temper the MBB circle jerk mentality of "his brother is great so he must be great - we have to sign him" that was prevalent when Henoc Muamba was around (or when Brett Cameron was going to be the next CFL all-star punter, so we had to trade up to draft him). Sign him if the skills (and any off-field baggage issues) justify it, not because he shares DNA traits with another player. Family ties do not ensure greatness, just ask Brett Gretzky.

Well at the time it wasn't JUST that Henoc was good so people figured Cauchy must be good too, Cauchy was seen as a decent safety as well. He didn't progress and the rest is history but it wasn't just a case of getting a brother here because of the family name. 

Brent Gretzky had 4 points in the NHL in 13 games, making the Brent-Wayne brother connection one of the highest scoring brother combos in NHL history.

THE highest brother combo. And they're less than 100 points behind the 6 Sutter brothers' combined points.

Oh cool.  I wasn't sure if the Sedins are closing in on them or what Bobby and Dennis had for career totals.

EDIT - I see the Sedins are over 1,000 pts behind.  They'll have to play another 8-10 years to catch up.

Yah, I know, just trying to temper the MBB circle jerk mentality of "his brother is great so he must be great - we have to sign him" that was prevalent when Henoc Muamba was around (or when Brett Cameron was going to be the next CFL all-star punter, so we had to trade up to draft him). Sign him if the skills (and any off-field baggage issues) justify it, not because he shares DNA traits with another player. Family ties do not ensure greatness, just ask Brett Gretzky.

Well at the time it wasn't JUST that Henoc was good so people figured Cauchy must be good too, Cauchy was seen as a decent safety as well. He didn't progress and the rest is history but it wasn't just a case of getting a brother here because of the family name. 

Yes he was.......by Joe Mack. 'Nuff said.

by everyone, I swear the amount of revisionist history that goes on around these parts is insane. 

I am sure Burke the guru had input in Cauchy coming over as well

Cauchy and Henoc even got to appear in an ad together. Seriously though, you knew 2013 was going to suck when our big dip into the free agent pool was signing Cauchy Muamba. Man was he bad. I really hope he makes Edmonton's roster this year. And we gameplan for it.

by everyone, I swear the amount of revisionist history that goes on around these parts is insane. 

I for one thought he was terrible his last year in BC and had concerns about his abilities to play safety before he even stepped on the field in a Bomber jersey. 

I for one thought he was terrible his last year in BC and had concerns about his abilities to play safety before he even stepped on the field in a Bomber jersey.

Yes, I agree.

His chicken wing, defensive play calling was fantastic...for the opponents.

I was really hoping there was more to him than what we had seen, but no, he was the real thing.

And as far as big free agent signings go, that was a farce.

I think even Henoc was embarrassed.