O'Shea Still Sees No Problems

Tracker

MOS, in this situation, is right.

Why are you asking questions like that, in the week before the last game, when there are months ahead to subject the Staff to those kind of questions?

And people blame MOS for being short with some reporters.

They're lucky he doesn't pick them up and drive them back 5 yards and slam them to the ground…like he used to do with the opposition.

Maybe instead of ripping on O'Shea for dealing with a bunch of jerks every press conference, we should rip the WFP and the Sun and tell them to get some real reporters and not useless columnists.  They should not pay these merely street-smart rollovers to come in and cover football stories when they don't know what they're talking about half the time.  Surely it can't be that hard for a professional news organization to actually go through linkedin and look through people's resumes to see their football knowledge experience and get real journalists in town.  Bottom line, if the media is gonna lecture us on cleaning our house, I suggest they do the same to theirs.

It's MOS decision to deal with them that way. So, ultimately it's on him. And of all the "bunch of jerks" as you put it, so just who are they? Wiecek? Sure constantly. Lawless?  On occasion. Who else?? Show me where the media in Winnipeg is anti MOS & hates the guy as I don't see it. Where are the other jerks? MOS has to grow up & deal wth the media. That's his job as well as coaching. Bottom line. The Winnipeg media isn't the problem for the Bombers. 

Why are you asking questions like that, in the week before the last game, when there are months ahead to subject the Staff to those kind of questions?

They're lucky he doesn't pick them up and drive them back 5 yards and slam them to the ground…like he used to do with the opposition.

It was a question. Nothing more. It's not strategy or an Earth shattering question. There are readers that want answers. MOS chose to handle it the way he did. 

It was a question. Nothing more. It's not strategy or an Earth shattering question. There are readers that want answers. MOS chose to handle it the way he did. 

Iso, you have this driving concern about MOS and how he deals with the media.

There is no concern.

I don't see any chip on his shoulder in how he deals with the media.

They ask, he answers.

Sometimes they don't like the answers…so they write their articles.

I'm not worried at all how MOS deals with the media. I'm more concerned on how he deals with the team.

It's not O'Shea's fault they can't ask the questions in a manner that will get them answers.

You can listen to Bob Irving and see how he asks touchy questions, and yet MOS answers them, without grizzling.

Don't judge O'Shea on how he answers questions, but on he answers problems with the team.

iso_55, on 01 Nov 2014 - 2:23 PM, said:

USABomberfan, on 01 Nov 2014 - 1:32 PM, said:

Maybe instead of ripping on O'Shea for dealing with a bunch of jerks every press conference, we should rip the WFP and the Sun and tell them to get some real reporters and not useless columnists.  They should not pay these merely street-smart rollovers to come in and cover football stories when they don't know what they're talking about half the time.  Surely it can't be that hard for a professional news organization to actually go through linkedin and look through people's resumes to see their football knowledge experience and get real journalists in town.  Bottom line, if the media is gonna lecture us on cleaning our house, I suggest they do the same to theirs.

It's MOS decision to deal with them that way. So, ultimately it's on him. And of all the "bunch of jerks" as you put it, so just who are they? Wiecek? Sure constantly. Lawless?  On occasion. Who else?? Show me where the media in Winnipeg is anti MOS & hates the guy as I don't see it. Where are the other jerks? MOS has to grow up & deal wth the media. That's his job as well as coaching. Bottom line. The Winnipeg media isn't the problem for the Bombers. 

The point is those dudes are knowledgeless bums who should be fired out of journalism.  Because they are not true journalists.  Media outlets need to hire professionals to cover stories, not bums.  So yes, the WPG media needs to clean their house and get it in order.

This is a similar answer the O'Shea has given to many different questions this year. He always answers that his focus is on this week's game and that everything is always reviewed by him and the team. I really don't see an issue here.

The difference is that now that the team has lost a lot recently, the media has decided to go after him. Their honeymoon with him is over it seems.

I am not sure what answer he could give that wouldn't be ripped apart by the media. "Actually, I see a ton of problems and I was reviewing the whole season instead of preparing for Calgary"?

Maybe instead of ripping on O'Shea for dealing with a bunch of jerks every press conference, we should rip the WFP and the Sun and tell them to get some real reporters and not useless columnists. They should not pay these merely street-smart rollovers to come in and cover football stories when they don't know what they're talking about half the time. Surely it can't be that hard for a professional news organization to actually go through linkedin and look through people's resumes to see their football knowledge experience and get real journalists in town. Bottom line, if the media is gonna lecture us on cleaning our house, I suggest they do the same to theirs.

They're unionized.

This is a similar answer the O'Shea has given to many different questions this year. He always answers that his focus is on this week's game and that everything is always reviewed by him and the team. I really don't see an issue here.

The difference is that now that the team has lost a lot recently, the media has decided to go after him. Their honeymoon with him is over it seems.

I am not sure what answer he could give that wouldn't be ripped apart by the media. "Actually, I see a ton of problems and I was reviewing the whole season instead of preparing for Calgary"?

I don't think it would take a rocket surgeon to answer the question intelligently. The answer would be something along the lines of," Yes, we've struggled in the areas of quarterback protection, and offensive and defensive line play. It's been a concern for some time and we haven't yet been able to improve these as quickly as we would liked. We are going to focus on the next game although its pretty meaningless except for the jobs involved, but the team is going to have to undergo an overhaul in the off-season. I will be working closely with Walters on this and everything will have to be on the table"

tracker, on 01 Nov 2014 - 3:59 PM, said:I don't think it would take a rocket surgeon to answer the question intelligently. The answer would be something along the lines of," Yes, we've struggled in the areas of quarterback protection, and offensive and defensive line play. It's been a concern for some time and we haven't yet been able to improve these as quickly as we would liked. We are going to focus on the next game although its pretty meaningless except for the jobs involved, but the team is going to have to undergo an overhaul in the off-season. I will be working closely with Walters on this and everything will have to be on the table"

Dumb Post Is Dumb

I don't think it would take a rocket surgeon to answer the question intelligently. The answer would be something along the lines of," Yes, we've struggled in the areas of quarterback protection, and offensive and defensive line play. It's been a concern for some time and we haven't yet been able to improve these as quickly as we would liked. We are going to focus on the next game although its pretty meaningless except for the jobs involved, but the team is going to have to undergo an overhaul in the off-season. I will be working closely with Walters on this and everything will have to be on the table"

You want the HC to announce to the media that their next game is meaningless? That comment would certainly take everyone's attention away from him not reciting his faults.

Well, now we have reason to hope for better next year as per an article in today's Freep:

It was the first year with O'Shea as head coach, however, and he was asked Sunday what lessons he took away from his rookie season as a head coach.

"We've got a lot of work to do. And there's lots to learn still. That's an easy answer," O'Shea said.

Asked where his team needs to get better, O'Shea didn't mince words. "Every phase. We want to win championships, so saying we're going to fix one thing here, one thing there -- it doesn't work that way.

"We have to get better across the board. We can't afford to take penalties, we can't give up so many turnovers, we can't give up that number of sacks, we can't give up those rushing yards, we need to be more effective in the red zone.

"It's everything. We're trying to improve every facet of the game. What I've said to the coaches so far, is we're going to spend this off-season inspecting everything."

Asked to assess the performances of offensive co-ordinator Marcel Bellefeuille and defensive co-ordinator Gary Etcheverry, O'Shea was upbeat.

"They've worked extremely hard. They've put their players in positions to be successful. They've done a pretty good job."

But O'Shea hedged when asked if the two men would be back for 2015, noting he hasn't yet had his own performance review from GM Kyle Walters. "When I have that meeting with Kyle, then I'll be able to go down the line and go from there."

17to85, on 31 Oct 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

People still don't get that O'Shea doesn't talk about this stuff in the media? You think he really doesn't know where mistakes were made? Is that more believable than he's just refusing to tell the media anything? Come on now, it's been his MO all season long. 

Yup, O'Shea is right.  He's got a game to prepare for right now and the media should be smart enough to realize that.  You don't quit preparing for games till the season is over and Mike O'Shea is focused in on it.

Besides, he just got done saying the team needs to get better, he doesn't need to go give a big old breakdown at every position trying to triangulate what should be done just yet.  Finish the season first, then address areas.  Plus it's stupid to say he or Walters are not gonna make any moves at all to address areas.  They will, but you worry about those situations in the office, not at the Press Conference.

I'm sure that he has NEVER thought about what is happening with his team & the reason for the 8 game skid??? Really, cmon? If he can't handle the  heat from a few local reporters then maybe he's not ready to be a HC even after a season already. This isn't Denver, New England or Green Bay. I bet Rex Ryan would love the media here. It would be like a weekend retreat for the guy. Why can't MOS acknowledge that yes, there are problems that need addressing & everything will be under review including his performance after tomorrow. Then next question as we are preparing for a game Saturday.These CFL head coaches with the big egos & impatience never last. Seen em all come & go in 50 seasons watching the Bombers & other teams. They always get fired eventually.

Funny, I thought that's exactly what he said.