The BEER thread

bluto

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Actually the BEST thing to do @Mark H., if you ever get the chance, is go to Flatlanders Beer Fest. You can go sample (2oz) beers of all kinds of styles. That's what really helps you learn what you like and don't like... 

Flatlanders is actually next weekend.

It had become a little corporate driven over the last few years, but hopefully all the new micros in MB and Canada, along with what people now want, will help to change that. The MLCC was slow to recognize local and micros for the longest time, and that got reflected in what was offered. Got introduced to Innis and Gunn there though, which is my top of the list beer.

Edited by itchy

24 minutes ago, itchy said:

Flatlanders is actually this weekend.

It had become a little corporate driven over the last few years, but hopefully all the new micros in MB and Canada, along with what people now want, will help to change that. The MLCC was slow to recognize local and micros for the longest time, and that got reflected in what was offered. Got introduced to Innis and Gunn there though, which is my top of the list beer.

I thought it was taking place Jun. 9-10...?

In any case, it's a very good event. I went last year and the amount of beers available was mind-boggling. It was a great time.

43 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I thought it was taking place Jun. 9-10...?

In any case, it's a very good event. I went last year and the amount of beers available was mind-boggling. It was a great time.

Thanks for the catch. Getting ahead of myself

• 3 weeks later...

Flatlanders was fairly solid, although the layout made it difficult to move around.

Lots of good beer options ... if anyone likes the hoppy stuff, the Double Juicy IPA by Garrison, Full Time IPA by Beau's or Side Cut NE IPA by Bridge are all good options in stock at the LC at the moment. Not mind-blowing, but better than most options you'll find here in the city.

I drank a beer from Lighthouse Brewing which I believe is in Victoria, 150 heritage ale or some such, basically maple syrup with a hint of beer, the most canadian thing ever. Not a great beer, but pretty damned Canadian so that counts for something. I expect there are a lot of heavy on the maple beers for the Canada 150 thing. 

I am curious to get one of the across the nation taster packs with a beer from each province, have you guys tried them at all? Any reviews?

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I drank a beer from Lighthouse Brewing which I believe is in Victoria, 150 heritage ale or some such, basically maple syrup with a hint of beer, the most canadian thing ever. Not a great beer, but pretty damned Canadian so that counts for something. I expect there are a lot of heavy on the maple beers for the Canada 150 thing. 

I am curious to get one of the across the nation taster packs with a beer from each province, have you guys tried them at all? Any reviews?

Wasn't a fan of it. Few good ones, mostly a bunch of meh.

hey Winnipeg folks -- maybe I missed it in here, but what's the word on Little Brown Jug brewery in the Exchange? One of the names I've heard that I know I've never tried and might get over to in a couple weeks...

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

hey Winnipeg folks -- maybe I missed it in here, but what's the word on Little Brown Jug brewery in the Exchange? One of the names I've heard that I know I've never tried and might get over to in a couple weeks...

It's on William, between to Princess and Hargrave. They one do one beer right now, but I enjoy it. Talked to a couple of guys involved at meet the brewers event. They're not bottling or canning yet, concentrating on growlers and taps throughout the city. It's a nice tap room, too.

32 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I do not like it whatsoever but a lot of people seem to.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

You're lucky I don't give you a warning for inappropriate and foul language.

I'll drink it 'cause it's Manitoban, but it's barely a notch above a Kokanee, and only the Orange can.....*MIGHT* try the Rye IPA thing they've developed, just to try it, but those guys..........not real craft brewers.

• 1 month later...

So I am  generally not a huge fan of a lot of the Belgian style beers, but after spending a few days in Belgium recently I can safely say that if you ever feel like you don't have enough choices in beer go there because there seems to be roughly a million breweries in that country. Not speaking the language made picking an even more daring adventure but I managed to get a few solid ones. Just don't ask me to remember what they were. 

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

So I am  generally not a huge fan of a lot of the Belgian style beers, but after spending a few days in Belgium recently I can safely say that if you ever feel like you don't have enough choices in beer go there because there seems to be roughly a million breweries in that country. Not speaking the language made picking an even more daring adventure but I managed to get a few solid ones. Just don't ask me to remember what they were. 

Can't go wrong with a Stella 

22 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

was thinking about it, looks like I missed the boat.  Only "weather dependent" tickets available now. 

Yeah, I got stuck with those. Fingers crossed it's a nice day on the 19th... Worst case Ontario is it's a refund and I drink beer elsewhere.

15 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yeah, I got stuck with those. Fingers crossed it's a nice day on the 19th... Worst case Ontario is it's a refund and I drink beer elsewhere.

There's also Brew at the Zoo in September. Sounds like a good time. 

Brew at the Zoo will showcase the growing craft brewery industry in a unique after-hours, adult’s only Zoo experience new to Winnipeg! Enjoy craft beer sampling, food, and live music courtesy of Winnipeg's The Proud Sons!

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2017  |  7 - 10 PM

REGULAR TICKETS (7 pm - 10 pm) | $39.95 + GST
PREMIUM TICKETS (6 pm - 10 pm) | $59.95 + GST (includes early entry, complementary food, a free pass to return to the Zoo and more!)

Tickets include all samples. Must be 18 years or older.

TICKETS ON SALE THURSDAY, AUGUST 3, 2017