The BEER thread

bluto

• 1 month later...

Granville got bought out by InBev or one of the big corporates awhile back, and ever since, I kinda gave up on them. I'm all about truly great Red's these days. The Village Woodsman is still my favourite, but Grizzly Paw's Rutting Elk Red is pretty great, too...

I think it was Labatts that bought Granville Island, still their stuff tastes mostly the same and it's still pretty good. I've been quite enjoying another of the bought out by the big guys craft brewers to be honest. Goose Island IPA is hands down my favourite IPA. Nice balance and not overly hopped like some stupid IPAs. The Honkers Ale is damned good too. Just a shame that buying their beer supports the evil big companies. 

Stopped in at the Fernie Brewing Company tap room on the weekend while in Fernie, was kind of disappointed truthfully, they have a big lineup of beers but only had 6 on tap. Anyway they had a collaboration with Whistler Brewing company that was pretty tasty, Springshred Red session ale. Was solid stuff. Also rather enjoyed their Slingshot session IPA. not overly stupid on the hops and lots of flavour. 

15 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I think it was Labatts that bought Granville Island, still their stuff tastes mostly the same and it's still pretty good. I've been quite enjoying another of the bought out by the big guys craft brewers to be honest. Goose Island IPA is hands down my favourite IPA. Nice balance and not overly hopped like some stupid IPAs. The Honkers Ale is damned good too. Just a shame that buying their beer supports the evil big companies. 

Stopped in at the Fernie Brewing Company tap room on the weekend while in Fernie, was kind of disappointed truthfully, they have a big lineup of beers but only had 6 on tap. Anyway they had a collaboration with Whistler Brewing company that was pretty tasty, Springshred Red session ale. Was solid stuff. Also rather enjoyed their Slingshot session IPA. not overly stupid on the hops and lots of flavour. 

It was Molson who bought out GI a number of years ago.  I am shocked to say this, but I actually think their stuff has gotten better since then.  Surprising considering I'm not a fan of Molson as a beer conglomerate.

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Fernie has real good beers, I forget what it's called for sure now but they had a Rockpile Red IPA or something like that? Delicious.

Yeah I definitely had that one in the past. They had a Rye IPA that was good too, I am still partial to the Big Caboose Red Ale of theirs though, and the pale ale is solid, matter of fact their brown is a good offering too.... yeah solid brewery but as I said, disappointed in the tap room only having a few options on tap. 

I'm not sure if I posted it in here or not, but I finally had a chance to try the new Farmery (the blue can) and man was I disappointed. The original Farmery isn't special, but it's at least a nice sessionable beer. This new one was a giant can of fizz that my stomach did NOT like...really disappointed in that. 

• 5 weeks later...

Note for all you folks in Bison-land: Just announced today that Brewster's (AB-based brew-pup) is going to have their Mixer Pack available in MLCC's very soon. As @17to85 will attest, the Hammer Head Red is something you need to try.

You're welcome....

• 1 year later...

Figure maybe it's time to bump this thread, been inactive for a long time.

So what's everyone drinking these days? 

I've gone back to some old favourites lately, Big Rock Warthog for one and several other big rock beers, always like that brewery, very reliable, assuming you like a more malty beer as opposed to hoppy. 

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Figure maybe it's time to bump this thread, been inactive for a long time.

So what's everyone drinking these days? 

I've gone back to some old favourites lately, Big Rock Warthog for one and several other big rock beers, always like that brewery, very reliable, assuming you like a more malty beer as opposed to hoppy. 

Pffffft....If I've heard of it, it's not a brewery worth trying....... #HipsterSpeak

We've evolved beyond what is available at our local liquor stores and now Ray and I have bi-weekly shipments coming in from take your pick of Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa or Vermont. :lol:

What do you guys think of the Dandy in Calgary? Tried anything there yet? My friend also just brought back some unreal beers from a trip to Calgary, the NE Style IPA from Blindman and Apex Predator from Bench Creek (I think that's what it's called?)

Both unreal.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

We've evolved beyond what is available at our local liquor stores and now Ray and I have bi-weekly shipments coming in from take your pick of Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa or Vermont. :lol:

What do you guys think of the Dandy in Calgary? Tried anything there yet? My friend also just brought back some unreal beers from a trip to Calgary, the NE Style IPA from Blindman and Apex Predator from Bench Creek (I think that's what it's called?)

Both unreal.

Dandy is great -- Brewmaster is a grad of the Olds College Brewmaster program. They are the ultimate hipster beer. Blindman and Bench Creek are both fabulous, as well. Bench Creek (Edson, AB)'s "Naked Woodsman" (ha ha) is sensational! Blindman outta Lacombe makes some real solid stuff too. Spent Valentine's weekend with the girlfriend doing taproom tours, and hit up both Blindman and Bench Creek. Both are awesome breweries with quality beers...

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Both unreal.

Dandy was basically a few home brewers decided they could make a go of a nanobrewery and they do some of the craziest **** you've ever seen with beer, just always trying something new and different. It's not always my style but I applaud em for trying it. Plus their taproom is a cool little place too. 

Bench Creek and Blindman are two of my favourite AB breweries, especially Bench Creek, I am not sure they've ever done anything I haven't liked. Not sure if I have tried the Apex Predator yet but definitely one I am interested in. 

I feel the same way with regards to not being able to find anything really new in the local stores, mostly have to try new stuff if I travel anywhere. 

Speaking of tap rooms, Cold Garden in Calgary is one of my absolute favourite tap rooms in the city and they're another place that does some real interesting things with their beers. Not quite as extreme as Dandy but pretty solid. 

Highline Brewing in the same area however I was seriously not impressed with. All of the beers I tried in their tap room had this weird chemical taste to them making everything basically taste the same. 

Being up north at present (Inuvik NT, to be exact), the beer selection is obviously limited to most of the more readily available stuff (Bud, Coors, Kokanee, and the like). However, the liquor store here in Inuvik gets a fair amount of beers from Yukon Brewing Co., and they're quite good. I particularly enjoy the Ice Fog IPA, Yukon Red amber ale (pairs great with BBQ chicken), Yukon Gold English pale ale (good with a decked out burger), and when it's available here, Deadman's Creek cranberry wheat ale (which pairs incredibly well with salmon and arctic char).

On a side note, I am beyond choked I'm going to miss Flatlanders this year. I specifically booked my flight home in time for the weekend it happened last year, but for whatever reason, it was bumped up two weeks and now I'll miss it. And that makes me sad.

11 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Being up north at present (Inuvik NT, to be exact), the beer selection is obviously limited to most of the more readily available stuff (Bud, Coors, Kokanee, and the like). However, the liquor store here in Inuvik gets a fair amount of beers from Yukon Brewing Co., and they're quite good. I particularly enjoy the Ice Fog IPA, Yukon Red amber ale (pairs great with BBQ chicken), Yukon Gold English pale ale (good with a decked out burger), and when it's available here, Deadman's Creek cranberry wheat ale (which pairs incredibly well with salmon and arctic char).

On a side note, I am beyond choked I'm going to miss Flatlanders this year. I specifically booked my flight home in time for the weekend it happened last year, but for whatever reason, it was bumped up two weeks and now I'll miss it. And that makes me sad.

I like Yukon Brewing, they had an ESB in their mixer pack a while ago (which I think they have since replaced with a brown ale) that I always quite liked, and the red was a solid option too.

The LC has a good variety pack available right now, for those that like to try something different. Should be available elsewhere too.

https://www.liquormarts.ca/product/central-city-brewing-150-years-across-nation-collaboration-pack/12-x-330-ml?mode=1%2520or%25201%253D1%253Acr

Celebrating Canada's 150th Birthday- This collaboration includes 12 unique limited edition cross-country beers from each Province.

Mix Pack contains one of each of the following:
Yukon Brewing Swift Currant Dark Ale, NWT Brewing Co. Miners' Refresh Grissette, Four Winds Brewing Left of the Divide IPA, Last Best Brewing Berry Smooth Berliner Weisse, Black Bridge Brewery Wine Open Spaces Kellerbier, Half Pints Brewing Land of Rice and Honey Saison, Beau's Brewing Upper Reaches Ale, Le Trou du Diable Bouclier Canadien Pilsner, Picaroons Traditional Ales Restored Hop(e) ESB, Garrison Brewing "New" Scottish Ale, P.E.I. Brewing Biere d'ici Honey Ale (Beer of Here), & Quidi Vidi Brewery Hop to the East Hefeweizen

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Wow BG84 jumping in with the pairings. Nice!

I love beer and I love this thread! Beer on its own is great - obviously. Beer with a good meal just elevates the greatness of both items. :)

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I like Yukon Brewing, they had an ESB in their mixer pack a while ago (which I think they have since replaced with a brown ale) that I always quite liked, and the red was a solid option too.

It's always nice to see YBC beers at the LCs back in Winnipeg, even if only from time to time. I do wish some of their more common offerings could be found back home, though. The Deadman's Creek just blew me away the first time I had it.

PS - does anyone here have the Untappd app? It's a fun way to keep track of the beers you've tried.

Edited by blue_gold_84

I chime in on this thread with some level of irony, as I quit drinking at the end of March (temporarily for now, but we'll see how much weight I lose...) 

With that said, I think my favourite brewery at the moment is Lake Of The Woods Brew Co outta Kenora. They've always made great beers, and they've got a new one that I'm desperate to try when I come home in July:

18447238_971877392968294_974925925090612