The BEER thread

bluto

I'm not a craft beer guy (tried it in my youngers days and was pretty turned off by what I had tasted) but this thread made me thirsty on a slow Friday afternoon.  Got some ideas for what I want to try, just hope the LC has some in stock.  Sticking mainly with IPA's this time but I'm going to grab a couple ESB's just to test the waters.

ESBs are probably my favorite after a good IPA. Really good stuff.

I had the Phillips Coast to Coastless ESB recently, that was really good. Might be tough to find now though, same with their Super Cooper ESB - I think there's one left in the LC at Sage Creek (in the fridge by the checkout)

Need to track down some more ESBs.

ESB_8_x_500ml_case.jpg?h=600&la=en&w=600

• 2 weeks later...

That is fantastic news. While I'm here, it was great to meet up with Raydawg and Mike at Spirit Of Edmonton last week. Hooked 'em up with a batch of AB/BC stuff they can't get in MB. Ray says he's a big fan of some of the new stuff...ha ha!  Also of note, spent most of our downtime last week at Barley Bros, which was as great as I remembered. Great brews, solid eats, great service...love the vibe in that place!

After wandering around the MLCCs last weekend man do I ever feel sorry for you Manitobans. That selection is just sad. There is some good stuff don't get me wrong but the options are so limited. Getting some more local breweries going will help a ton but man oh man... Maybe we're more spoiled here being so close to BC but yikes you guys are limited so badly. That being said there was some stuff at Barley Brothers that we don't see out here that makes me sad. Mostly stuff from Ontario that hasn't migrated out here yet. It's sort of a shame that Fort Garry was sold to Russell Brewing company... Russell has some stuff that I really want to like but it just seems a bit underwhelming to me and I fear Fort Garry might suffer the same mediocre fate. At least Half Pints is solid. I like what they're doing there. 

That is fantastic news. While I'm here, it was great to meet up with Raydawg and Mike at Spirit Of Edmonton last week. Hooked 'em up with a batch of AB/BC stuff they can't get in MB. Ray says he's a big fan of some of the new stuff...ha ha!  Also of note, spent most of our downtime last week at Barley Bros, which was as great as I remembered. Great brews, solid eats, great service...love the vibe in that place!

We both were huge fans of that stuff! We have plans to get you guys a box of the good stuff once our new breweries start popping up since we didn't get a chance to hook up again with you guys and repay the favor.

We actually went back to Ray's and tried a good half dozen of the beers you brought that very same night. Some unbelievable offerings in there ... Star Cheek, Maiden, Woodsman ... unbelievable stuff, I'm very jealous.

Our selection is really dwindling out here, I've started straying from my typical preferences to try some other stuff. I'm going to Kenora this week so I'm going to check out their LCBO and see if I can bring anything unique back from there as well but man ... we need to step up. Working on trying to get someone I know out in Vancouver to ship me some stuff even. Finally blew by 200 different beers on Untapped though - so there's that.

Best beer I had all weekend? Delirium Noel. Get it in that Christmas pack if you can - it's a good one.

that Village Woodsman has overtaken the Grizzly Paw Rutting Elk Red as my favourite beer right now. Had been a close contest between Grizzly Paw Grumpy Bear and Rutting Elk Red, but I love everything about the Woodsman, from the packaging to the actual flavour of the beer. It's like chewing on tree needles, and I love it.....

• 2 months later...

I caught pneumonia and a form of gastritis back in mid-Jan and have been scrapping it ever since, so I haven't had a drop of booze in nearly a month. I can't even tell you how badly I want a craft brew. We finally got that new Farmery in Alberta now, and I can't even have it. Faaaaaaack.  God willing this **** I've got doesn't kill me, I'm coming home in June for a fishing trip, and I can't WAIT to try all these new MB brews/brew pubs....

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:47 PM, TrueBlue said:

Look for a few different MB micro brews coming this year sometime:

-Peg Beer Co.

-One Great City Brewing Co.

-Torque Brewing Co.

-Barn Hammer Brewing Co.

Peg Beer Co. will be a brew pub, opening very soon. You may have already heard of it.  

Excited for all of this.

On top of that, Big Rock Brewing is planning on setting up a brew pub in the Masonic Temple at Ellice and Donald. There's a newly formed Manitoba Craft Brewer's Association being set up, with about 20 different brewer's represented, all in differing degrees of development. Those listed above are almost ready to roll, while most others will never see the light of day.

Peg Beer Co. is being run by a former part owner of Half Pints, and Torque is being lead by the former brewer at Fort Garry. Farmery is finally gearing up to brew in MB, instead of at Muskoka.

Good times finally for Manitoba!

3 hours ago, itchy said:

On top of that, Big Rock Brewing is planning on setting up a brew pub in the Masonic Temple at Ellice and Donald.

Big Rock might not be the most edgy craft brewer out there but damned if I don't like some of their stuff. Traditional is a go to out here if there is nothing else cause it's rare that they don't have that. Grasshopper was my gateway into craft beer so it is always nice too, especially on a hot day when a deck is involved. 

It's nice to see them branching out a bit too, things like the Cascadian or Fowl Mouth are quite good taking basically their Traditional base and adding some more hops to it. 

13 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Big Rock might not be the most edgy craft brewer out there but damned if I don't like some of their stuff. Traditional is a go to out here if there is nothing else cause it's rare that they don't have that. Grasshopper was my gateway into craft beer so it is always nice too, especially on a hot day when a deck is involved. 

It's nice to see them branching out a bit too, things like the Cascadian or Fowl Mouth are quite good taking basically their Traditional base and adding some more hops to it. 

Big Rock is the supplier at Festival this year... needless to say, I consumed many last weekend...

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:13 PM, Noeller said:

I caught pneumonia and a form of gastritis back in mid-Jan and have been scrapping it ever since, so I haven't had a drop of booze in nearly a month. I can't even tell you how badly I want a craft brew. We finally got that new Farmery in Alberta now, and I can't even have it. Faaaaaaack.  God willing this **** I've got doesn't kill me, I'm coming home in June for a fishing trip, and I can't WAIT to try all these new MB brews/brew pubs....

Well at least pneumonia did you one favor.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I haven't tried the new Blonde they came out with yet, but their original was an easy drinking, sessionable beer. Sitting on the deck at the cottage, it was a good summer beer.

It's almost gotten a little too easy-drinking.  I'm rather bored of Farmery right now.  The Blonde at least has a little more flavour. 

If you're looking for a gift for yourself or any beer drinking Manitoban, consider: 300 Years of Beer: An Illustrated History of Brewing in Manitoba

It's a really lovely coffee table book full of vintage photos & info. pertaining to Manitoba's rich brewing history.

One of the authors is a pal of mine and he really took on the development as a labour of love (we were both 2nd generation Mb.brewery workers). His only regret is the lack of due diligence by the publishers around proofing the text. If you can get past some of the glaring typos, it is a very nice read. 

I've shipped copies to a number of former 'Tobans as gifts. They unanimously (particularly the old timers) enjoy it.

http://www.amazon.ca/300-Years-Beer-Illustrated-Manitoba/dp/192653171X