The BEER thread

bluto

Dug into the Phillips Snowcase this weekend ...

Tried the Apteryx IPA, the Elsinore Lager, the Wit Beer, the Anxiety Ale, the Black Jackal Imperial Coffee Stout, the Slipstream Ale, the Anxiety Ale, the One & Only Saison and the Twisted Oak Scotch Ale.

Really liked the Apteryx ... the Elsinore is a good take on a regular old beer and other than that ... meh. Not thrilled with the selection in the snowcase thus far. Also got my hands on a Sriracha Stout from Rogue. Awful.

You tried all those over the weekend??

Indeed I did. It was a slow weekend.

Back in the good ol' days, when I first moved to Alberta, we'd start around Noon on a Friday and kept the good times rollin' till late Sunday night.....

There's few things I enjoy more than a good craft beer tastin'. This is how you find out what types of stuff you really enjoy.

Tried the Apteryx IPA, the Elsinore Lager, the Wit Beer, the Anxiety Ale, the Black Jackal Imperial Coffee Stout, the Slipstream Ale, the Anxiety Ale, the One & Only Saison and the Twisted Oak Scotch Ale.

Really liked the Apteryx ... the Elsinore is a good take on a regular old beer and other than that ... meh. Not thrilled with the selection in the snowcase thus far. Also got my hands on a Sriracha Stout from Rogue. Awful.

Good for you.  Wait til you have kids.  :P

Don't put your evil on the rest of us.......*knocks on wood*

Back in the good ol' days, when I first moved to Alberta, we'd start around Noon on a Friday and kept the good times rollin' till late Sunday night.....

There's few things I enjoy more than a good craft beer tastin'. This is how you find out what types of stuff you really enjoy.

True. Myself personally, I would find it hard to separate so many in a short period of time.  If I'm going to binge on the weekend, I'm usually going to keep it to 1 or 2 different brews, max.  

True. Myself personally, I would find it hard to separate so many in a short period of time.  If I'm going to binge on the weekend, I'm usually going to keep it to 1 or 2 different brews, max.  

Usually, it's rye for me on a weekend bender. But every now and then.....we had us a tastin'.....

I know, I'm really not looking forward to having to share with them.

3 beers with supper isn't all that trying, going through a case in a weekend won't even catch a buzz. Sounds like there's some rank amateurs in this thread. 

Also Mike, get off the IPA wagon, there's stuff out there that isn't pure hops. 

I've gotten into some stouts, but I just can't enjoy them most of the time.

That Phillips sampler has good variety, but I keep just falling back to the IPAs anyways. I'm biased.

3 beers with supper isn't all that trying, going through a case in a weekend won't even catch a buzz. Sounds like there's some rank amateurs in this thread. 

That Phillips sampler has good variety, but I keep just falling back to the IPAs anyways. I'm biased.

Dave will try and sway you toward the ESBs....I'm a big fan of Red's. There's a new one from Village Brewery called "The Huntsman" that I really enjoy. Earthy....ton of flavour. I'm a fan....

Dave will try and sway you toward the ESBs....I'm a big fan of Red's. There's a new one from Village Brewery called "The Huntsman" that I really enjoy. Earthy....ton of flavour. I'm a fan....

I've had a few ESBs and I liked them. I even enjoyed one so much (the Super Cooper 14 Year Special that Phillips did) that I bought another one. Some good reds out there too. Just not a lot of options at my local LC, they're big on the IPA train right now.

I've had a few ESBs and I liked them. I even enjoyed one so much (the Super Cooper 14 Year Special that Phillips did) that I bought another one. Some good reds out there too. Just not a lot of options at my local LC, they're big on the IPA train right now.

We'll be getting in late next Weds night for GC Week, and one thing I'm really stoked for is wandering the LC to see what kinda options they have while we're home. Curious how the selection compares to some of the "private" stores we have here, in terms of craft beer...

We'll be getting in late next Weds night for GC Week, and one thing I'm really stoked for is wandering the LC to see what kinda options they have while we're home. Curious how the selection compares to some of the "private" stores we have here, in terms of craft beer...

What part of town are you staying in? There are a few specific LCs I would recommend.

In my opinion, it's gotten better, but it's still not great.  For the size of the stores here, they would have to clear out all the crap to make room for a great selection.

Ha, if you're saying that I can't handle my beer intake, I'd have to correct you.  

No thank you to bitter beer. I'm a wheat beer guy, especially in summer.

No thank you to bitter beer. I'm a wheat beer guy, especially in summer.

It's just a name! It's not bitter! I love a bitter. Has some nice hoppy flavour to it without being too over whelming. 

The biggest shame in the craft beer scene right now is that it seems like stores stock only the IPAs or the stouts because that's what is the biggest sellers as some people think you need the big intense flavours for it to be a craft beer. 

What part of town are you staying in? There are a few specific LCs I would recommend.

At a buddy's place right smack dab between the Stadium and Barley Bros, on Pembina......but we'll be all over attending events. Spending time in T-Cones, as well, to visit the family.....

At a buddy's place right smack dab between the Stadium and Barley Bros, on Pembina......but we'll be all over attending events. Spending time in T-Cones, as well, to visit the family.....

Hit up the Plessis LC when you're in Transcona and the Grant Park LC if you get a chance. Close to you and two of the best in the city. Either one on Henderson is good too.

The biggest drawback for Manitoba is that they're far away from BC and Ontario and Quebec and don't have a huge amount of their own breweries at this point. Makes the logistics getting a big variety more difficult. 

It is interesting, I was chatting with the guy who runs  the closest liquor store to me one time  when I was buying something new and I mentioned how I was stoked to see a new offering from this company, he says "Yeah but now I gotta find more room on the shelves for it" Guess there's just too many options out there they are forced to stock the best sellers which unfortunately for me means my preferences get the short end of the stick. Lots of IPAs though and lots of fruity beers. Also why WildRose stopped bottling the SOB yet you can't go anywhere with the god damned raspberry beer being front and centre. 

I'm not a craft beer guy (tried it in my youngers days and was pretty turned off by what I had tasted) but this thread made me thirsty on a slow Friday afternoon.  Got some ideas for what I want to try, just hope the LC has some in stock.  Sticking mainly with IPA's this time but I'm going to grab a couple ESB's just to test the waters.

I'm not a craft beer guy (tried it in my youngers days and was pretty turned off by what I had tasted) but this thread made me thirsty on a slow Friday afternoon.  Got some ideas for what I want to try, just hope the LC has some in stock.  Sticking mainly with IPA's this time but I'm going to grab a couple ESB's just to test the waters.

ESBs are probably my favorite after a good IPA. Really good stuff.

I had the Phillips Coast to Coastless ESB recently, that was really good. Might be tough to find now though, same with their Super Cooper ESB - I think there's one left in the LC at Sage Creek (in the fridge by the checkout)

Need to track down some more ESBs.