The BEER thread

bluto

I've only tried 2 different beers from Muskoka and they were both boring safe types. I forget which ones they were but nothing outrageous. 

When buying a new type of beer to try there's really no rhyme or reason to it. My brother and I used to do that all the time when I first moved to Calgary, just wander into the beer store and grab something randomly. If there's a style you want just grab something in that style or pick whatever has the best label or best name (I bought a beer called Arrogant Bastard simply because I couldn't pass up that name and I always love Tool Sheds People Skills for obvious reasons)

I've only tried 2 different beers from Muskoka and they were both boring safe types. I forget which ones they were but nothing outrageous. 

When buying a new type of beer to try there's really no rhyme or reason to it. My brother and I used to do that all the time when I first moved to Calgary, just wander into the beer store and grab something randomly. If there's a style you want just grab something in that style or pick whatever has the best label or best name (I bought a beer called Arrogant Bastard simply because I couldn't pass up that name and I always love Tool Sheds People Skills for obvious reasons)

I learned I didn't like much about imperial stouts after trying a Long, Dark Voyage to Uranus.

:huh:

Do you guys ever find yourself going back for the same craft over and over? Ever since I started buying the individuals, I can't bring myself to buy the same one twice no matter how much I enjoy it. I just love trying different stuff, every time out.

Although that Fracture Imperial IPA ... If they had that here, my fridge would be full of it.

We definitely have our favourites (Tool Shed People Skills, Village Triplet, Olds College Hay City have been in regular rotation lately and Grizzly Paw Grumpy Bear and Rutting Elk are always a consideration) but it's good to find new stuff. We go to Calgary Beer Fest every year (the gf and I were asked to be judges in 2016...should be fun!) so of you guys have a chance to go to Flatlander Beer Fest in YWG, do it! Best place to learn!

I definitely have my favourites that I go to, but it's mostly because in the stores closest to me I've tried most of the stuff I'd want to try anyway and there's not a lot that's really new that seems like something I'd want. Honestly Bigrock always has a soft spot being the brand that started me down the path but there's a few that have become go to beers as well. 

Did they really ask you two to be judges at beerfest? Cause I'm going to guffaw at that notion. 

Do you guys ever find yourself going back for the same craft over and over? Ever since I started buying the individuals, I can't bring myself to buy the same one twice no matter how much I enjoy it. I just love trying different stuff, every time out.

Although that Fracture Imperial IPA ... If they had that here, my fridge would be full of it.

There are a 4 or 5 that I have as my "regulars" but I often like to try a different one every couple of weeks.

Oh please, Richard and I haven't missed a Beerfest since before you lived out here I ain't about to start now.

I only laugh at the idea because I doubt Heather's ability to be sober enough to remember what the hell she's been drinking.

Ya luckily it'll be the first two hours on the Friday so she should be alright.... ;)

Oh please, Richard and I haven't missed a Beerfest since before you lived out here I ain't about to start now.

I only laugh at the idea because I doubt Heather's ability to be sober enough to remember what the hell she's been drinking.

Ya luckily it'll be the first two hours on the Friday so she should be alright.... ;)

Not based on what I saw at Oktoberfest.....

If there's anybody interested in beer, or beer collectibles, I'm VP of the Great White North Breweranists. PM me if you want more info. (I'm a long time lurker!)

Each month we have tastings from different breweries we have visited. I was in Victoria, so I visited 10 breweries on the Island, and brought back samples from each one for the group to try. We also have an annual trip to the Mid-West (ND, SD, MN, WI, Iowa) and 10 of us hit 17 breweries in 4 days this year, bringing back samples for the group to try. We have meetings at the breweries in the city (Half Pints and Fort Garry) and have discussed the new breweries opening with those involved.

We started as a group interested in decorating our man caves with beer collectibles, but with the explosion of new breweries, beers, labels, tap handles, signs, etc, we've had trouble keeping up! We're always looking for like minded individuals, who didn't know a group like this was out there.

If there's anybody interested in beer, or beer collectibles, I'm VP of the Great White North Breweranists. PM me if you want more info. (I'm a long time lurker!)

Each month we have tastings from different breweries we have visited. I was in Victoria, so I visited 10 breweries on the Island, and brought back samples from each one for the group to try. We also have an annual trip to the Mid-West (ND, SD, MN, WI, Iowa) and 10 of us hit 17 breweries in 4 days this year, bringing back samples for the group to try. We have meetings at the breweries in the city (Half Pints and Fort Garry) and have discussed the new breweries opening with those involved.

We started as a group interested in decorating our man caves with beer collectibles, but with the explosion of new breweries, beers, labels, tap handles, signs, etc, we've had trouble keeping up! We're always looking for like minded individuals, who didn't know a group like this was out there.

The gf and I have been doing that kind of collecting and decorating our house with a lot of it. She loves collecting growlers from different places and other signage. 17to85 says we're immature and the house looks like a frat but we enjoy it! :) *waves at dave*

Each month we have tastings from different breweries we have visited. I was in Victoria, so I visited 10 breweries on the Island, and brought back samples from each one for the group to try. We also have an annual trip to the Mid-West (ND, SD, MN, WI, Iowa) and 10 of us hit 17 breweries in 4 days this year, bringing back samples for the group to try. We have meetings at the breweries in the city (Half Pints and Fort Garry) and have discussed the new breweries opening with those involved.

edit. question already answered.

I started making beer from kits, it's easy, and the results are pretty good.... and I enjoy the process.

Each month we have tastings from different breweries we have visited. I was in Victoria, so I visited 10 breweries on the Island, and brought back samples from each one for the group to try. We also have an annual trip to the Mid-West (ND, SD, MN, WI, Iowa) and 10 of us hit 17 breweries in 4 days this year, bringing back samples for the group to try. We have meetings at the breweries in the city (Half Pints and Fort Garry) and have discussed the new breweries opening with those involved.

The gf and I have been doing that kind of collecting and decorating our house with a lot of it. She loves collecting growlers from different places and other signage. 17to85 says we're immature and the house looks like a frat but we enjoy it! :) *waves at dave*

Any interesting ones? I'd like to make a point of picking up unique ones on my travels. I've got one from Rebellion in Regina that's made of stainless steel, looks like a mini keg, and another from Ohio that looks like a big hand grenade. 

Yer lucky the GF puts up with it now but once she starts thinking about kids her "taste" will change, guaranteed. 

Ha ha yeah, that's the thing...i picked a good one, trust me. She's all in. Easily more of a craft beer nerd than me. Eventually she wants a bar in the basement (and it would be HER bar) so she can have all that stuff up on display. She's definitely not the snotty ***** that wants fashionable **** up around the house, that's for sure...

Ha ha yeah, that's the thing...i picked a good one, trust me. She's all in. Easily more of a craft beer nerd than me. Eventually she wants a bar in the basement (and it would be HER bar) so she can have all that stuff up on display. She's definitely not the snotty ***** that wants fashionable **** up around the house, that's for sure...

NE Calgary born and bred.

Cluck Cluck cluck.
fyp.

Do the LCs just sell generic growlers, or do they sell ones specific to the brewery? We picked up a growler directly from Half Pints this summer, but the people at FGB had no clue whatsoever. Would like to get one from them at some point...

Dug into the Phillips Snowcase this weekend ...

Tried the Apteryx IPA, the Elsinore Lager, the Wit Beer, the Anxiety Ale, the Black Jackal Imperial Coffee Stout, the Slipstream Ale, the Anxiety Ale, the One & Only Saison and the Twisted Oak Scotch Ale.

Really liked the Apteryx ... the Elsinore is a good take on a regular old beer and other than that ... meh. Not thrilled with the selection in the snowcase thus far. Also got my hands on a Sriracha Stout from Rogue. Awful.

Dug into the Phillips Snowcase this weekend ...

Tried the Apteryx IPA, the Elsinore Lager, the Wit Beer, the Anxiety Ale, the Black Jackal Imperial Coffee Stout, the Slipstream Ale, the Anxiety Ale, the One & Only Saison and the Twisted Oak Scotch Ale.

Really liked the Apteryx ... the Elsinore is a good take on a regular old beer and other than that ... meh. Not thrilled with the selection in the snowcase thus far. Also got my hands on a Sriracha Stout from Rogue. Awful.

You tried all those over the weekend??