The BEER thread

bluto

Also just now remember trying Granville Island in Vancouver a couple years back. Had a couple cans sitting in the mini fridge so I figured why not. Good stuff.

But what kind from Granville Island? I quite like their English Bay Pale Ale, I know people who enjoy their maple cream ale as well. 

Also just now remember trying Granville Island in Vancouver a couple years back. Had a couple cans sitting in the mini fridge so I figured why not. Good stuff.

But what kind from Granville Island? I quite like their English Bay Pale Ale, I know people who enjoy their maple cream ale as well. 

Was the pale ale. Maple Cream Ale sounds good.

• 5 weeks later...

Farmery is solid...a sessionable beer that I could drink a case of, while sitting on a deck on a hot summer afternoon. I was disappointed to learn it's not actually a Manitoba beer. They just grow the ingredients near Neepawa but it's brewed in Ontario somewhere.

Farmery is solid...a sessionable beer that I could drink a case of, while sitting on a deck on a hot summer afternoon. I was disappointed to learn it's not actually a Manitoba beer. They just grow the ingredients near Neepawa but it's brewed in Ontario somewhere.

Is this true?  I gave it extra credit because I thought there was actually an estate brewery in Neepawa.  Now I am disappointed. 

Is this true?  I gave it extra credit because I thought there was actually an estate brewery in Neepawa.  Now I am disappointed. 

We did some Google-ing while at home, and this is what we found out...brewed in Ont, but the ingredients grown in Neepawa...

If you can ever find it, Little Creatures or James Boags in Australia is amazing. Went to the Little Creatures Brewery in Perth and the James Boags one in Tasmania. Both breweries make all types and they are very tasty!

Bintang beer is a decent pilsner that they sell in Indonesia.

Can't wait to go to Oktoberfest this year. I'm staying with some German friends and the way they talk about it, things will get messy!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the oatmeal porter was a mill st. thing, was real good, I always pass over that stuff when I'm wandering through the liquor store, maybe I'll have to actually pick some up some time. Never seen Hop City but I will keep an eye out. There's a few well stocked beer coolers in a couple liquor stores nearby. 

They usually have some cold Mill Street ones at the Old Dakota vendor, can't remember what they call the place now. I like the Organic and the Ale, nice beer but not cheap. The wife actually like the Coffee Porter and she hates beer.

• 1 year later...

Giving this a fun bump because the first time I looked at it 2 years ago, I remember thinking ... how much is there to talk about beyond Bud Light?

Now, after about a year of trying everything I can get my hands on, I'm majorly into craft beers.

Not big into the stouts, but really enjoying a lot of the various IPAs and IRAs I've been trying and there are some good ambers out there as well.

Favorite thing I've tried to date was the Fracture Imperial IPA that Amsterdam makes, but I only saw it while I was in Toronto. Their unfiltered IPA that they stock on shelves here in Manitoba isn't as good, in my opinion.

My buddies and I just also tried every beer in that Craft Crossing advent calendar last week - some real winners and some REAL losers.

I read one of the comments about the Red Racer stock being old way back and I have to agree - when I tried it the first time I thought it was terrible. It came up in the advent calendar (fresh, specific for the box) and it was amazing. Good stuff.

Try as many Canadian micro-brews as possible. There's a ton of great ones. We're fantastically spoiled in Alberta with a lotta good stuff. Grizzly Paw, Tool Shed, Village, Wild Rose, Alley Kat, Big Rock....and more that I'm sure I'm forgetting. 

Also, for all you craft beer junkies....grab the "Untapped" app for your phone and do a check in every time you try something. I know Raydawg is on there...and I think 17to85 as well. A good way to find out what's out there and what other people thought of it, then give your own 2 cents...

Try as many Canadian micro-brews as possible. There's a ton of great ones. We're fantastically spoiled in Alberta with a lotta good stuff. Grizzly Paw, Tool Shed, Village, Wild Rose, Alley Kat, Big Rock....and more that I'm sure I'm forgetting. 

Also, for all you craft beer junkies....grab the "Untapped" app for your phone and do a check in every time you try something. I know Raydawg is on there...and I think 17to85 as well. A good way to find out what's out there and what other people thought of it, then give your own 2 cents...

If you've seen Ray on Untapped, I'm sure you've seen me.

The sad thing is we're really not. As good as those places are and as many new ones are coming we're still so far behind provinced like BC, Ontario and Quebec that it's not even funny. 

The sad thing is we're really not. As good as those places are and as many new ones are coming we're still so far behind provinced like BC, Ontario and Quebec that it's not even funny. 

Phillips is probably my favorite brewery and they're based out in BC ... Really wish I had access to more of their stuff. Really like Parallel 49 too, based out there.

Phillips is probably my favorite brewery and they're based out in BC ... Really wish I had access to more of their stuff. Really like Parallel 49 too, based out there.

Phillips Blue Buck is pretty good for sure and I know they had an ISA or something that I quite enjoyed. Granville Island was bought by a big brewer but they have some good stuff as well that is pretty widely available (English Bay Pale Ale being my favourite) It's nuts though, been to BC a few times over the summer and there are so many more options available that just don't have the distribution out of province. Vancouver is littered with breweries that I'd never heard of before. 

Luckily the Alberta government is making it easier for Alberta Breweries to grow without penalizing them heavily so hopefully that will let some of the brands that aren't Bigrock spread across the prairies. I love me some Bigrock don't get me wrong but most of their selection is based around the Traditional and it seems that the English style brown ales don't get enough love from the craft beer world. I'd love to see WildRose get some more exposure and maybe start bottling the damned SOB or Wred Wheat again rather than making me drive all the way to their brewery to get it. 

Phillips Blue Buck is pretty good for sure and I know they had an ISA or something that I quite enjoyed. Granville Island was bought by a big brewer but they have some good stuff as well that is pretty widely available (English Bay Pale Ale being my favourite) It's nuts though, been to BC a few times over the summer and there are so many more options available that just don't have the distribution out of province. Vancouver is littered with breweries that I'd never heard of before. 

Luckily the Alberta government is making it easier for Alberta Breweries to grow without penalizing them heavily so hopefully that will let some of the brands that aren't Bigrock spread across the prairies. I love me some Bigrock don't get me wrong but most of their selection is based around the Traditional and it seems that the English style brown ales don't get enough love from the craft beer world. I'd love to see WildRose get some more exposure and maybe start bottling the damned SOB or Wred Wheat again rather than making me drive all the way to their brewery to get it. 

Blue Buck isn't sold here but I had one last week in Toronto and I really enjoyed it. I really liked their Super Cooper Anniversary Ale, Electric Unicorn White IPA, Octofox IPA and Green Reaper IPA as well. Good choices for what I like in an IPA although I haven't tried their Imperial yet and I have yet to pick up their Hopbox. Their Snowcase advent calendar comes out tomorrow and I'm picking one up (24 new beers for Christmas!) - really would like to try that WCPA they have too.

Haven't really liked much coming out of the Granville Island offerings.

Have you tried anything from Muskoka? They're very hit and miss for me.

Giving this a fun bump because the first time I looked at it 2 years ago, I remember thinking ... how much is there to talk about beyond Bud Light?

Now, after about a year of trying everything I can get my hands on, I'm majorly into craft beers.

Not big into the stouts, but really enjoying a lot of the various IPAs and IRAs I've been trying and there are some good ambers out there as well.

Favorite thing I've tried to date was the Fracture Imperial IPA that Amsterdam makes, but I only saw it while I was in Toronto. Their unfiltered IPA that they stock on shelves here in Manitoba isn't as good, in my opinion.

My buddies and I just also tried every beer in that Craft Crossing advent calendar last week - some real winners and some REAL losers.

I read one of the comments about the Red Racer stock being old way back and I have to agree - when I tried it the first time I thought it was terrible. It came up in the advent calendar (fresh, specific for the box) and it was amazing. Good stuff.

One things for certain, we're living in the golden age of Canadian beer, there has never been so much choice.  Hard to believe 25 years ago Canadians were basically restricted to the products of 2-3 breweries.  Harder to believe now, every time I get in line to pay for beer invariably the guys in front and behind me have cases of Bud.  On a scale of good beer, Bud has always fallen into the piss-poor strata.  Goes to show the power of marketing overwhelms the power to think with one's brain.

One things for certain, we're living in the golden age of Canadian beer, there has never been so much choice.  Hard to believe 25 years ago Canadians were basically restricted to the products of 2-3 breweries.  Harder to believe now, every time I get in line to pay for beer invariably the guys in front and behind me have cases of Bud.  On a scale of good beer, Bud has always fallen into the piss-poor strata.  Goes to show the power of marketing overwhelms the power to think with one's brain.

I would agree marketing overwhelms and I don't think that's just in regards to brands like Bud, etc.

Even in the craft beer market, marketing plays a major part. The main reason I found out I liked breweries like Phillips, Parallel 49 or even Barkerville is that their labeling caught my eye. Even breweries like Rogue that have select offerings in Manitoba are majorly popular just because of their unique branding. Took me a lot longer to catch onto other breweries such as Lake of Bays, simply because when you're not sure what you're looking for, you're not going to go for the product that looks boring.

I would agree marketing overwhelms and I don't think that's just in regards to brands like Bud, etc.

Even in the craft beer market, marketing plays a major part. The main reason I found out I liked breweries like Phillips, Parallel 49 or even Barkerville is that their labeling caught my eye. Even breweries like Rogue that have select offerings in Manitoba are majorly popular just because of their unique branding. Took me a lot longer to catch onto other breweries such as Lake of Bays, simply because when you're not sure what you're looking for, you're not going to go for the product that looks boring.

When I started into craft beers, I just always went into LCs with an open mind to find something that catches my eye.  After being burnt too many times, now I always need to have at least a couple of ideas for what I am looking for. 

Blue Buck isn't sold here but I had one last week in Toronto and I really enjoyed it. I really liked their Super Cooper Anniversary Ale, Electric Unicorn White IPA, Octofox IPA and Green Reaper IPA as well. Good choices for what I like in an IPA although I haven't tried their Imperial yet and I have yet to pick up their Hopbox. Their Snowcase advent calendar comes out tomorrow and I'm picking one up (24 new beers for Christmas!) - really would like to try that WCPA they have too.

If you like Phillips, try out the Hoperation Triple Cross.  It's an IPA, but tastes more like a witbier. 

The only thing I've tried from Muskoka is their Detour IPA.  It was okay.  Too much of a citrus taste.  Probably would be better the second time around.

If you like Phillips, try out the Hoperation Triple Cross.  It's an IPA, but tastes more like a witbier. 

The only thing I've tried from Muskoka is their Detour IPA.  It was okay.  Too much of a citrus taste.  Probably would be better the second time around.

Been looking for the Hoperation, seems like there's only a few left in the city.

I didn't like Detour either. Mad Tom and Twice as Mad Tom were both good red IPAs, though.