The Video Game Thread

johnzo

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

They did announce a new 3d Mario where he goes into the real city...

super%20mario%20odyssey%20news%20main.jp

Damn it,..am I going to have t buy this thing now?  Actually the GF hated the original Mario Universe or whatever the hell it was called.  We enjoy playing Mario World on Wii U (we like the co op side scroll).  Is Mario World 3D on Wii U worth it?  Its a co op right?

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

FF6 remains my favourite but at this point you have to accept those days are gone.  I picked up FF13 and hated it with a passion.  I didn't even really like 12.  The last one I enjoyed was FFX, which I really, really liked.

It's a different style of game now but if you accept that you're not going to be playing a game like FF6 or even like FF7 then it is an enjoyable play-through.  It's more like a Skyrim/Fallout with a better story.

X was good but man did X-2 kill it. to this day I'm still a little pissed XI was only for xbox so I've never played it, always been a PS guy

• 2 months later...

Seen today on Reddit:

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/19/interview-canadian-football-video-game-almost-ready-launch/

A stripped down NCAA/Madden clone... without official CFL backing... 9 teams representing the 9 pro football cities, including the "Winnipeg Cavaliers" and "Hamilton Stingers"... packaged for the XBone and PS4, the game won't have options to customize team or player names, jersey #'s and so on... but if it makes it to PC these files will be easily modified, making it possible to duplicate team rosters. Quickplay only... without a career mode, GM mode, or any mention of multiplayer... the only innovative and enticing feature is the waggle, where receivers go into motion and you need to manually snap the ball at the right time or your receivers just run offside.

They'll probably want $20... if it makes it to PC I'd probably buy it.

3 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Seen today on Reddit:

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/19/interview-canadian-football-video-game-almost-ready-launch/

A stripped down NCAA/Madden clone... without official CFL backing... 9 teams representing the 9 pro football cities, including the "Winnipeg Cavaliers" and "Hamilton Stingers"... packaged for the XBone and PS4, the game won't have options to customize team or player names, jersey #'s and so on... but if it makes it to PC these files will be easily modified, making it possible to duplicate team rosters. Quickplay only... without a career mode, GM mode, or any mention of multiplayer... the only innovative and enticing feature is the waggle, where receivers go into motion and you need to manually snap the ball at the right time or your receivers just run offside.

They'll probably want $20... if it makes it to PC I'd probably buy it.

Absolutely stupid the CFL wouldn't back this, especially with Microsoft willing to.  I likely won't play it if its got teams like the Winnipeg Cavaliers, which means it likely doesn't have a lot of the players we know and love in our game.

Missed opportunity by the league 

I hope that Dave Winter's work pans out. He's been trying to do this for a long time ... back in 1998, Marty York reported that he had a deal with the league to do a game. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.sport.football.canadian/dave$20winter|sort:relevance/rec.sport.football.canadian/G-uj8E7cu2o/bGHc7HPbtDAJ

I can't blame the CFL for holding him at arms' length, though. Nothing against Dave Winter personally, but video games are a rotten business full of pretenders and vaporware and if I were the CFL I'd wanna see a really good demo before opening up my IP.

On 3/19/2017 at 4:00 PM, Taynted_Fayth said:

Absolutely stupid the CFL wouldn't back this, especially with Microsoft willing to.  I likely won't play it if its got teams like the Winnipeg Cavaliers, which means it likely doesn't have a lot of the players we know and love in our game.

Missed opportunity by the league 

Not so much.  I don't expect anything resembling quality from this game.  Better not to be attached to it.  Hopefully the right opportunity for a CFL video game comes along but this wasn't it.

• 1 month later...
On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎20 at 11:27 PM, johnzo said:

Mass Effect: Andromeda releases tonight!  I'm a huge fan of the series.

Hopefully the mixed reviews of the preview are just the usual entitled nerdbleats and the game is up to the standards of the first trilogy.

What's your take on it so far? I was a huge fan of the first three games (not so much the last one) but the reviews and feedback from friends has kept me from buying it. One friend who absolutely loved the first three games said Andromeda was underwhelming by comparison.

I'm currently hooked on Horizon Zero Dawn. An absolutely excellent game.

Andromeda is a Mass Effect madlib.  It's kinda like The Force Awakens, they're recycling story points like crazy. (see spoilers below)  I played it for about thirty hours then got busy with other hobbies and just kinda drifted away from it.  For previous Mass Effects, I've put my life on hold for weeks, locking myself in my office and living off lucky charms and pizza rolls.  This one, not so much. 

If you're a casual fan of the series, I'd say wait until it's on discount to buy it.

Everyone I've talked to says that Horizon Zero Dawn is really super good.  sigh.  guess I've gotta get a PS4...

Spoiler

You are Shepherd Ryder. You are a Spectre Pathfinder, an elite warrior / scout / law enforcer with a great deal of independence. You are dispatched from the Citadel Nexus, a giant space installation run by a squabbling, multi-species council. You fly missions aboard a stealthy, small cutting-edge vessel called the Normandy Tempest. Dirtside, you drive around in the Mako Nomad, a butch AWD vehicle. Your first antagonists are the mysterious Geth Kett, who have a strange affinity for weird old artifacts left by the Protheans Remnant.  The geth kett bolster their forces by kidnapping people of other species and transforming them into husks more kett.

Edited by johnzo

18 hours ago, johnzo said:

Andromeda is a Mass Effect madlib.  It's kinda like The Force Awakens, they're recycling story points like crazy. (see spoilers below)  I played it for about thirty hours then got busy with other hobbies and just kinda drifted away from it.  For previous Mass Effects, I've put my life on hold for weeks, locking myself in my office and living off lucky charms and pizza rolls.  This one, not so much. 

If you're a casual fan of the series, I'd say wait until it's on discount to buy it.

Everyone I've talked to says that Horizon Zero Dawn is really super good.  sigh.  guess I've gotta get a PS4...

Hide contents

You are Shepherd Ryder. You are a Spectre Pathfinder, an elite warrior / scout / law enforcer with a great deal of independence. You are dispatched from the Citadel Nexus, a giant space installation run by a squabbling, multi-species council. You fly missions aboard a stealthy, small cutting-edge vessel called the Normandy Tempest. Dirtside, you drive around in the Mako Nomad, a butch AWD vehicle. Your first antagonists are the mysterious Geth Kett, who have a strange affinity for weird old artifacts left by the Protheans Remnant.  The geth kett bolster their forces by kidnapping people of other species and transforming them into husks more kett.

Sounds like something I won't play - just recycled ME on a current gen console. Thanks for the synopsis and feedback!

HZD is fantastic. If you're a fan of the open-world/sandbox genre, this game hits the mark. The map is absolutely massive. It also incorporates RPG elements in terms of the protagonist's skill sets and weapons/armor. The content is extensive (unique setting, solid main story with a ton of additional missions/side stories), the combat is engaging and requires strategy, and exploring the environs never feels tedious. Guerilla Games really knocked this one out of the park, IMO.

This review basically hits the nail on the head: http://nerdist.com/horizon-zero-dawn-is-the-machine-hunting-action-rpg-of-your-dreams-review/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Question for the gamers as I cant remember.

In the EA NHL series, can you move a player from the European leagues to the NHL?  I know you can re-assign players to make the rosters accurate.  But specifically, Kristian Vesalainen wont be on the Jets or Moose this year.  He wont be under NHLPA contract so wont be available but I ASSUME he will be in the game for the Finish league.  Can he be re-assigned to the Moose on the game?

Speaking of which, NHL 18 is not getting rave reviews in Beta...

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Forgot to post this when it was released last week:

Looks pretty damn incredible.

YES YES YES!

LOVED Red Dead Redemption.   Cant wait for this.  Im glad to see it coming.  I was worried the trend was to online group games and away from single player stories.  This looks very expansive and immersive.  HOURS (weeks) of fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...