The Video Game Thread

johnzo

Who plays video games?  What are you playing?

I just got a PS3 and am working through all the best games from that console.  Have played through God of War 3 (incredible), Killzone 3 (just another shooter, albeit a pretty one), and am just starting the Uncharted series.

My absolute favourite thing of the last console generation was the Mass Effect series.  Have played the whole series through twice, will probably play it again soon.

Don't play online much, I'm mostly a single-player game guy.

Have a 360 right now. PS3 crapped out on my last winter. I mostly play sports games, though I do dabble with Call of Duty even though I'm terrible at it. Grand Theft Auto is a ton of fun, and I was surprised with how much I enjoyed Infamous considering it's not a game I usually go for.

Thinking of upgrading to a PS4 or XBox one over the holidays. I'm mulling which way I want to go.

Thinking of upgrading to a PS4 or XBox one over the holidays. I'm mulling which way I want to go.

What games are you looking foward to?

Asking because I haven't yet seen any compelling reasons to upgrade to a next generation console.  Seems like the games just aren't there yet, it's just more of the same, albeit prettier.

I play the NHL games.  Grand Theft Auto.  Batman.  Occasionally the Call of Duty games.  So not much of a gamer.  I unfortunately had to replace my phone last week (with an i6) so my plan to get a next gen consol is on hold for a few weeks.

I'd lean towards Xbox simply because I had an Xbox 360 for so long (had three actually...two red rings of death) though I had a PS1 before that.  It generally comes down to what your group of friends buy, if you have any interest in online gaming.

I never did get Grand Theft Auto V and I understand they are releasing a next gen version in November.  Ill probably wait til end of October and pick one up with NHL15 once enough updates have come out to make it worth it.  Then a few weeks of hockey before GTA is released.

Or I wait til Christmas and hope someone buys me a system!

I used to play an obscene amount of games...then I got married...and then had a child.... Now my video game life is dead :( I used to play a lot of 360... Now I'm back to playing games on PC.

Since I'm so far behind on games I can buy most of them off of steam for under 10 dollars and they look and play much better then anything on a console.

I bought a Wii when they were still pretty new, but mostly as a social-gaming thing. I like to entertain, so it was a nice thing to have for groups of people at the house. Honestly, I spend more time "retro-gaming" than anything. I have a Retro Duo and Retro Trio (the Retro Duo plays NES/SNES games with SNES controllers....the Trio is new, it plays NES/SNES/Genesis games with any of the 3 controllers) and play a lot of the old EA NHL games from the mid 90s and some other stuff from back in the day, too...

I played Civilization 1 quite a bit around 20 years ago.

I sometimes play Civ 4. I was a beta tester for the game and still have a soft spot for it.

Civ 4 was the first civilization game I played since the first one and it was a lot of fun. 

I played a Civ for PC a while ago. Not sure how late it was but I think it was around 4 or 5. Pretty fun. If they had a CIV for android phones I'd probably get nothing done.

I sometimes play Civ 4. I was a beta tester for the game and still have a soft spot for it.

Civ 4 was the first civilization game I played since the first one and it was a lot of fun. 

I played a Civ for PC a while ago. Not sure how late it was but I think it was around 4 or 5. Pretty fun. If they had a CIV for android phones I'd probably get nothing done.

37279d1405017839-does-anyone-know-where-

We have both and never use the PS4, other than a few games here and there.  I'm not sure why the bf felt the need for both... something about exclusives for each console (which are few and far between).  He's always been an Xbox fanboy though.  I think the only thing he really wants the PS4 for is the Last of Us sequel and the remastered version.

There's a few issues playing some Blurays on the Xbox One.  I find the PS4 controller awkward. 

Makes me glad to see all the Civ love in this thread. I have Civ 4 (all expansions) and Civ 5... Civ 4 is the best, or at least most in-depth incarnation if you ask me. Civ 5 is pretty much click continue til you win, not really all that much fun. If I could add up all the hours I spent playing Civ 1 when I was a kid... it would be embarrassing. On the plus side, I was the only grade 4 student who knew who Hammurabi was. That made me super cool and the envy of my peers

37279d1405017839-does-anyone-know-where-

This!

My wife would kill me if she knew how much time I spent (and still do!) playing CIv.  I'd probably be unemployed and divorced if they had Civ for Android.

Makes me glad to see all the Civ love in this thread. I have Civ 4 (all expansions) and Civ 5... Civ 4 is the best, or at least most in-depth incarnation if you ask me. Civ 5 is pretty much click continue til you win, not really all that much fun. If I could add up all the hours I spent playing Civ 1 when I was a kid... it would be embarrassing. On the plus side, I was the only grade 4 student who knew who Hammurabi was. That made me super cool and the envy of my peers

Agreed, 4 is the best version. I was seriously dissappointed by 5, I've got it tied with Revolution for PS3 as my least favorite version. 

Agreed, 4 is the best version. I was seriously dissappointed by 5, I've got it tied with Revolution for PS3 as my least favorite version. 

Yep, both 5 and Revolution were 'Civ - lite'. Too easy!

Got Smash Bros on the 3DS. I love this game and can't wait for the WiiU version.

The BF nabbed that for me, but just haven't had the time to play.  

I'm a survival horror fan, and The Evil Within is pretty freakin' creepy.  you can definitely see the Resident Evil/Silent Hill input.

• 11 months later...

I just bought an Xbox one at wal marts anniversary sale.

Xbox one with Fifa 16 + dlc, battlefield hard-line, free year of EA Access, rare replay, Lego movie game all for 349.99

Super good deal, I'll probably sell fifa and battlefield and sweeten the deal even more.

They had at least 10 systems left at the wal mart near polo.