The Video Game Thread

johnzo

I recently completed Mass Effect: Legendary edition... FUN FUN FUN. Great game with an awesome story. Solid game. 

Finished the Last of Us Remastered- I didn't think this was going to be my "type" of game- but I really enjoyed it. Great game with a fantastic story and a phenomenal immersive world quality. Post apocalyptic zombie trope, but done very well.

About half way through The Last of Us part 2... so far- better than the first. 

Man, my return to console gaming has not been a mistake at all... 

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Finished Last Of Us 2.

WOw- what a game. I never knew a video game can get that emotionally taught. Really well done. Actually deals with the cycle of violence and the layer upon layering of the themes is really skillfully done. 

HIghly recommend this series to anyone. 

It's been out a while so I shouldn't have to warn of spoilers- right?

Fantastic game and story- but I had so much trouble getting beyond getting behind a character that offed a character so close to you. It was probably different for you going right from one to the other, but I had years to attach myself to a character (though flawed) and then try to identify with the character that ended them.

2 minutes ago, itchy said:

Fantastic game and story- but I had so much trouble getting beyond getting behind a character that offed a character so close to you. It was probably different for you going right from one to the other, but I had years to attach myself to a character (though flawed) and then try to identify with the character that ended them.

It was hard, but I was rooting for both to end the cycle of violence- I didn't want either to accomplish their goals. Both mains were easy to sympathize with- they set that up beautifully, especially with the converging timeline. Amazing.

1 hour ago, itchy said:

Not sure about that, especially with these types of games.  It's not like a movie where you only need to find, at most, a couple hours of time.  These games can be a serious time investment (just ask my wife!) that not everyone can commit to as soon as a game drops so I would say spoiler alerts could still be helpful.

I haven't even started this one yet... trying to finish off Cyberpunk before I start another game.

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I did and then get sidetracked by life. And Ghost of Tsushima... And then a PS5. I blame life more than anything. LOL

I put off starting a few games until I got my hands on a PS5 so I've been very behind in my game play  over the last year.  I can't even remember all the games I have lined up but LOU2, AC Valhalla & Tsushima are at the top of the list.

17 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I put off starting a few games until I got my hands on a PS5 so I've been very behind in my game play  over the last year.  I can't even remember all the games I have lined up but LOU2, AC Valhalla & Tsushima are at the top of the list.

Ghost of Tsushima is just incredible in its vastness of content, comparable to Red Dead Redemption 2. It's easy to get sidetracked in such sprawling immersive worlds. The PS5 Director's Cut of the former is worth every penny, with reduced load times and the ability to transfer your PS4 save data. The upscaling is a nice bonus, too.

I'm currently hooked on Returnal, which is highly addictive and a must-have title for any PS5 owner, IMO.

2022 looks to be a great year, what with GT7, Elden Ring, and Horizon Forbidden West on the way - just to name a few.

15 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It wouldn't surprise in the slightest if the next generation of consoles are capable of photorealistic graphics in real time, paving the way for true virtual reality.

I used to be up on some of the gaming computer tech. It was really good 10 years ago. I can't imagine what it's like now with the latest gen machines and all the advances in GPUs, solid state drives and RAM. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HFW drops the week, Elden Ring next week. Good month for games!

And then there's this: https://www.polygon.com/22934785/cyberpunk-2077-next-gen-update-ps5-xbox-series-x-release

Cyberpunk 2077’s next-generation console update — that is, versions of the game optimized for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X — will arrive with patch 1.5 for the open-world first-person action-RPG, developer CD Projekt Red announced during a livestream Tuesday. The studio released first gameplay footage of Cyberpunk 2077 running on Sony and Microsoft’s current-gen consoles, and promised gameplay updates and new DLC are coming to all versions of the game.

Patch 1.5 for Cyberpunk 2077 will bring ray tracing, 4K resolution (with dynamic scaling), faster loading times, and “a variety of other visual and technical improvements” for PS5 and Xbox Series X, CD Projekt said. The PS5 version adds support for the DualSense controller’s adaptive triggers and haptic feedback features.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't picked up HFW yet but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Elden Ring is incredibly immersive and entertaining. Glad I picked it up; it's a grind to say the least.

GT7 drops tomorrow and I can't wait to fire it up in 4K goodness: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39289380/gran-turismo-7-worth-the-wait-review/

2022 is shaping up to be a great year for video games.