The Video Game Thread

johnzo

Okay I am stuck inside waiting out the coronavirus, what should I be playing?  Got a PS4, a Switch, and an i7/16gb PC with a budget GPU from 2014ish ... a GTX 730Ti.

Games I really like: Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mass Efffect, Panzer Corps, Master of Orion, Stellaris, Crusader Kings II, the Last of Us, Twisted Metal, God of War, Rimworld.  Lots of different kinds of things.

I'm more into single player games; not competitive enough for multiplayer although everyone tells me that Rocket League is a blast for even a beginner to play. 

In general I don't want a big learning curve, which is why I don't really play the NFL or NHL games; depending on how I set the difficulty they are either cartoonishly simple or completely impossible for me. Couldn't ever get comfortable with those.

also am getting away from giant sprawling RPGs with hundreds of hours of play time .. have bounced off the Witcher and Horizon Zero Dawn a couple of times.

Edited by johnzo

1 minute ago, johnzo said:

Okay I am stuck inside waiting out the coronavirus, what should I be playing?  Got a PS4, a Switch, and an i7/16gb PC with a budget GPU from 2014ish ... a GTX 730Ti.

Games I really like: Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mass Efffect, Panzer Corps, Master of Orion, the Last of Us, Twisted Metal, God of War.  Lots of different kinds of things.

I'm more into single player games; not competitive enough for multiplayer although everyone tells me that Rocket League is a blast for even a beginner to play. 

In general I don't want a big learning curve, which is why I don't really play the NFL or NHL games; depending on how I set the difficulty they are either cartoonishly simple or completely impossible for me. Couldn't ever get comfortable with those.

also am getting away from giant sprawling RPGs with hundreds of hours of play time .. have bounced off the Witcher and Horizon Zero Dawn a couple of times.

This will keep you busy... forever.

or 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

If you're stuck indoors and feel like putting your PS4 through its paces with some quality single player games, I'd recommend - in no specific order - the following: Red Dead Redemption 2, Uncharted (all four games), Horizon Zero Dawn, Tomb Raider (all three games), The Witcher III, The Division (both games), Sleeping Dogs, and The Order*… I could go on but all of these would keep even the most obsessed gamer busy for some time.

Oh, and of course I'd suggest trying the free FFVII Remake Demo. It'll give you a pretty good idea what to expect from the full game that launches in early April.

* The Order isn't much of a lengthy game but it plays so well and looks absolutely gorgeous

oh damn I'd forgotten about Jedi Fallen Order.  Is it good?  Star Wars games have been a real mixed bag since TIE Fighter...

And the Order sounds real promising.  "Not lengthy game that looks gorgeous" + "Knights of the Round Table vs. vampires in steampunk London" is a solid pitch.

2 minutes ago, johnzo said:

oh damn I'd forgotten about Jedi Fallen Order.  Is it good?  Star Wars games have been a real mixed bag since TIE Fighter...

And the Order sounds real promising.  "Not lengthy game that looks gorgeous" + "Knights of the Round Table vs. vampires in steampunk London" is a solid pitch.

Just a note, I've seen it on sale for $39.99 recently.  It's on for $49.95 at Amazon, if you can wait a couple days. 

Here's the Metacritic score (79): https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order 

Edited by JCon

37 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Games I really like: Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mass Efffect, Panzer Corps, Master of Orion, Stellaris, Crusader Kings II, the Last of Us, Twisted Metal, God of War, Rimworld.  Lots of different kinds of things.

It's unfortunate that you don't have an xbox with game pass because you could have access to tonnes of high quality games. 

I play lots of games.... here's some cheaper lesser known easy games that are fun. 

Switch -  Mario vs Rabbids (it's on sale for only 20 dollars on the store now) ,  Steamworld dig 1 and 2, Steamworld Heist, Celeste, Shovel Knight and Golf Story.  All great games that are short and easy to get into. 

I have not played a tonne on the PS4,   but  you can usually find Uncharted series for dirt cheap and those have really good stories.   Spiderman also was really good.  

26 minutes ago, JCon said:

Just a note, I've seen it on sale for $39.99 recently.  It's on for $49.95 at Amazon, if you can wait a couple days. 

Here's the Metacritic score (79): https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order 

I paid full pop for it and am glad I did.

I was a big fan of KOTOR and Mass Effect (1&2, 3 is stupid) and really liked my first playthrough of Fallen Order. There are some frustrating points (like timing jumps just right from an ice flow) but the story os good and the play is good.

I don't play multiplayer games.

9 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

I paid full pop for it and am glad I did.

I was a big fan of KOTOR and Mass Effect (1&2, 3 is stupid) and really liked my first playthrough of Fallen Order. There are some frustrating points (like timing jumps just right from an ice flow) but the story os good and the play is good.

I don't play multiplayer games.

ok, tacklewasher has sold me. Jedi Fallen Order is downloading now.

(wow, it's fifty gigabytes. what an age we live in)

48 minutes ago, JCon said:

man that 79 is interesting ... a lot of game studios will have clauses where bonuses or penalties kick in on a metacritic breakpoint of 80, so when I see a 79 I wonder if metacritic is jacking someone around.

Edited by johnzo

22 minutes ago, johnzo said:

ok, tacklewasher has sold me. Jedi Fallen Order is downloading now.

(wow, it's fifty gigabytes. what an age we live in)

Depending on what you game like, you can set the difficulty to "Story Mode" and it is pretty easy to get through, plus falling off cliffs doesn't do damage. I did that first and am going through at the next level. It does make it a lot harder as damage does pile up.

Oh. And learn to block.

Just now, tacklewasher said:

Depending on what you game like, you can set the difficulty to "Story Mode" and it is pretty easy to get through, plus falling off cliffs doesn't do damage. I did that first and am going through at the next level. It does make it a lot harder as damage does pile up.

Oh. And learn to block.

Timed dodging it MUCH better.

1 hour ago, tacklewasher said:

So, what's your take on it?

haven't played it yet -- a friend gifted me Disco Elysium last week while Fallen Order was downloading and I've been digging that game. 

DE is super cool, it's like a David Lynch take on a detective RPG.  Might not be to everyone's taste though, there's a ton of text and weirdness to process.  Fallen Order is next though!

It's a bit fuzzy on how much stronger it is,  the PS5 has a faster hard drive so in theory in certain games it could be more powerful.   On the other hand apparently the Xbox X has dedicated hardware to assist with raytracing which makes a huge difference in the lighting of games.   It more then likely will be closer then 30% difference though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...