The Video Game Thread

johnzo

24 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I remember a friend had....Im sure it was Genesis.  He got it because it had a home version of an arcade game that escapes my memory, but something about turning into a wolf.  We thought it was cool.  

ALTERED BEAST!!!!!!

I think that was the beginning of the end for Arcades. WHy bother going to the arcade when you can play the same game at home.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

• 4 weeks later...

Got a question I though I might ask here.

What's the difference between the various xBox units? One S vs One X?

I looking at getting one to play older games that have been updated (somewhat) to xBox One. Specifically KOTOR and Mass Effect. Just wondering is the One S will be sufficient.

I'm not looking for online play (can't handle getting ass-whooped by 10 yr olds) and don't play that often, but miss playing KOTOR on the big screen. Just isn't the same on Steam etc.

Thanks

One X can render some games at 4k resolutions,   the components might be a slight bit faster also but it's a minimal difference if so.    If you're wanting to play old games you could just find a used xbox 360 for dirt cheap which should play those specific games with backwards compatibility.

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

One X can render some games at 4k resolutions,   the components might be a slight bit faster also but it's a minimal difference if so.    If you're wanting to play old games you could just find a used xbox 360 for dirt cheap which should play those specific games with backwards compatibility.

360 won't play KOTOR properly. I know I've tried it in the past and it is unusable.

Edited by tacklewasher

6 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

360 won't play KOTOR properly. I know I've tried it in the past and it is unusable.

The X does 4K graphics the best out of all the non-PC systems. Games like RDR2 are simply nicer on the X. But, you need to have the TV and you need to care. 

S is much cheaper and will play all the games the X will. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

The X does 4K graphics the best out of all the non-PC systems. Games like RDR2 are simply nicer on the X. But, you need to have the TV and you need to care. 

S is much cheaper and will play all the games the X will. 

That's what I'm realizing. I don't have 4K at this point and since I love my 60" plasma so much for sports, and can't see much 4K content coming soon, I'm thinking the S might do.

Thanks

On 2018-11-23 at 3:47 PM, Brandon said:

Only some of the games render at 4k resolution...  most of the games do not.    Even the ones that rendered at 4k the differences are quite minimal.    Unless you have a 4k HDR top of the line tv....  you will barely see any kind of differences.

HDR is better than 4K. Both is even better but yeah I agree. I bought a new TV last year and there isn’t much that really utilizes it but programs with HDR...awesome 

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

That's a weird way to frame it... Switch killer? Nintendo succeeds with inferior tech because they get the games right for their market.

People like the 'childish' games and that's why it succeeds. If you're a real gamer, you probably have multiple systems anyhow. 

But, I guess it's good that Sony may be re-entering the portable gaming market. More competition is usually good. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

On 2018-10-30 at 2:20 PM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

ALTERED BEAST!!!!!!

I think that was the beginning of the end for Arcades. WHy bother going to the arcade when you can play the same game at home.

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but if you've got a 360, you can get this... has save state feature and lots of other good blast-from-the-past games on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic's_Ultimate_Genesis_Collection

• 4 weeks later...
On 2018-10-30 at 2:20 PM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

ALTERED BEAST!!!!!!

yeah but they never released a home version of the simpsons arcade game (except for MS-DOS but that was kind of difficult to handle) and now whenever I hear sounds from the Simpsons arcade game I can't help but think of the old Holiday Inn in Grand Forks, the one that had an arcade (yeah I'm old enough to remember when 7-11s and Hotels had arcades)

speaking of which I'd love to own one of these

Edited by iHeart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...