The Video Game Thread

johnzo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally picked up Witcher 3 for PS4 a couple weeks ago & I'm pretty sure my wife is ready to divorce me now because I've been so consumed by it.  Massive RPG in the style of Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls.  I definitely recommend it, if that's your style of game.

1 hour ago, basslicker said:

Not getting my hopes up.

I turned off XIII after 7 hours....it was so horrible.

I should correct myself, FF X-2 and Gamecubes Crystal Chronicles  were the last ones I played after destroying FFXII 100%, Like bigg Jay just mentioned it causes some issues in your relationships when you devote insane amount of time to these games, but X-2 and CC were so bad it made it an easy choice to walk away.

FFIX was pretty bad too and that was one I found in a pawn shop years after FFX came out, I should have ended it there tbh

I forced myself to play through most of XIII...  the story the gameplay and everything was absolutely terrible.   

Gave up on the end boss because when you start killing him he would cast a series of very cheap spells that nuked your party and full heal himself.

RE: FFXIII was it really that bad?  My 2 biggest issues - which coincide with each other - with FFXII was;

the ridiculousness in some of the side quests, more specifically the Wyrms (Hell Wyrm and Elder Wyrm) in the hunting quest to get the Wyrm badge, a key piece to crafting one of the ultimate weapons, the turnsol. They gave the hell wyrm an HP of like 12mill, and the Elder Wyrm an HP of 50 mill (I believe) and capped dmg you can dish out at 9999.  While you can jump in and out of battle and not lose your place (cuz your gonna be there for a long time) the f'n things constantly cast petrify, poison instant death to one of your members so your in recovery mode more then on the offensive.  

then to boot, at least the elder wyrm, it will restore it's health the first time it reaches about 1/8 left.  If you leveled yourself up to the point you can dish out anything close to 9999 there is really absolutely no reason to get the turnsol cuz it wont exceed the 9999 and your pretty much in god mod vs the rest of the game.  i threw my controller at the tv lol

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

On 3/23/2016 at 7:19 AM, Bigblue204 said:

Anyone else looking forward to No man's sky? Looks unreal. I've been waiting for a game like this since first playing Star Fox on SNES

I am definitely pumped for No Man's Sky. It's weird that it's gonna be on the PS4, it doesn't seem like a console game at all.  But I am a big nerd for space sims and I remember the dark times of the 2000s when no one could be bothered to make any, so anything that popularizes them is cool by me.

Anyone out there into the turn-based 4x games?  I've played a bunch of Galactic Civilizations 3 and I am really keen to see how Stellaris and the rebooted Master of Orion come out. 

Right now I'm learning to play Cities:Skylines. Trying to figure out how to make a beautiful city with no luck.  All mine look like Charlie Brown's xmas tree.

It's a golden age of PC gaming right now. Last generation I was totally a console guy but I'm not gonna even bother with an xbone or PS4 this time around.  Everything I want to play is on Steam or Gog.

Edited by johnzo

On 31/03/2016 at 0:13 PM, Taynted_Fayth said:

I should correct myself, FF X-2 and Gamecubes Crystal Chronicles  were the last ones I played after destroying FFXII 100%, Like bigg Jay just mentioned it causes some issues in your relationships when you devote insane amount of time to these games, but X-2 and CC were so bad it made it an easy choice to walk away.

FFIX was pretty bad too and that was one I found in a pawn shop years after FFX came out, I should have ended it there tbh

no way man!

FFIX is one of the best.   except for kuja in drag hahaha

Edited by basslicker

On 31/03/2016 at 2:05 PM, Taynted_Fayth said:

RE: FFXIII was it really that bad?  My 2 biggest issues - which coincide with each other - with FFXII was;

the ridiculousness in some of the side quests, more specifically the Wyrms (Hell Wyrm and Elder Wyrm) in the hunting quest to get the Wyrm badge, a key piece to crafting one of the ultimate weapons, the turnsol. They gave the hell wyrm an HP of like 12mill, and the Elder Wyrm an HP of 50 mill (I believe) and capped dmg you can dish out at 9999.  While you can jump in and out of battle and not lose your place (cuz your gonna be there for a long time) the f'n things constantly cast petrify, poison instant death to one of your members so your in recovery mode more then on the offensive.  

then to boot, at least the elder wyrm, it will restore it's health the first time it reaches about 1/8 left.  If you leveled yourself up to the point you can dish out anything close to 9999 there is really absolutely no reason to get the turnsol cuz it wont exceed the 9999 and your pretty much in god mod vs the rest of the game.  i threw my controller at the tv lol

FFXIII's biggest problem for me was the absolutely horrible characters

Edited by basslicker

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting!

http://3downnation.com/2016/05/03/an-exclusive-look-at-canadian-football-17/

The first thing you should know about the founders of Canuck Play is that David Winter and business partner Sherly Loucks are much more than just experienced game developers. First and foremost, they’re CFL fans (Saskatchewan ones if you want to be specific). More importantly, Winter and Loucks are proud Canadians and both take a ton of pride in Canada’s rich football history and tradition.

As you get to learn more about Canuck Play, it’s easy to believe that there’s no company better suited to create the CFL’s first successful video game. Winter, who spent 10 years in the Navy before getting into game development, has 20 years of experience building games, doing everything from coding and designing to being a product director. Winter has worked for a number of studios, ranging from HB Studios to EA. During the five years he spent at EA, Winter was the producer and designer for EA Sports Online and was responsible for a large percentage of the online features for games such as Madden, NHL and FIFA. While he’s also worked on non-sports titles such as The Sims and Mech Warrior Online, Winter feels most at home when working on sports games.

More at the link

15 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Hard Nova for DOS on my 486

Zelda on my NES

Gave my SNES and games away

Ogre Battle 64 on N64

Fire Emblem on Game Cube

Jade Cocoon 2 on PS2

My son has a PS3 but he plays mostly on his computer now as do I.

that was my favorite NES game , the adventures of link... not so much. probably cuz it's so ridiculously hard to beat. I bought an NES off kijiji back around 2010 living out in the country and a wack load of games including Link, so fn hard to make it to the final level without dying, then only having x amount of lives. no continues from within the level,  just back to the first palace where zeldas sleeping. guess i should have looked for game genie lol

Mike Tysons Punch Out was another fav, that was part of those games too,  only 1x did i last 3 rounds with iron mike and still lost on the score card lol

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

contra code for 30 lives, easy to beat a gamearrow-10x10.png with that kinda boost lol

and LMAO @ electric seaweed, I used to always get stuck at some point in the gamearrow-10x10.png where the buildings would keep you from getting to the next sewer. glad the games got a little better after that first one.  except that street fighter version of ninja turtles, that was kinda lame

2 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

contra code for 30 lives, easy to beat a gamearrow-10x10.png with that kinda boost lol

and LMAO @ electric seaweed, I used to always get stuck at some point in the gamearrow-10x10.png where the buildings would keep you from getting to the next sewer. glad the games got a little better after that first one.  except that street fighter version of ninja turtles, that was kinda lame

It's actually called the Konami code because you can use it on a ton of other games (not just ones by Konami either).  There are still games coming out that use the code, although the "bonus" for using it varies wildly.

Konami games that use the code: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Konami_code_games

Non-Konami games that use the code: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Konami_code_games/Non-games