The Music Thread

AtlanticRiderFan

Why this Canadian band is not world famous is a puzzle. 

Not even famous in their own country. "“The whole thing feels different in many ways but it’s still just four guys doing what they do best together — looking for that spark in every song, sometimes once a night and sometimes not at all,” Thornley says."

Edited by Mark F

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rachid Taha, Algerian rai-rock fusion performer, died yesterday at 59.  He was most well-known in North America for this song, which was featured on the Black Hawk Down soundtrack.

I saw him live about a decade ago and it was one of the top five shows of my life. Dude and his band tore the place up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I suppose it's time for a little self promotion. I play in a band called Satanic Rights. Despite being called Satanic Rights, we're not a metal band. We try to write rock'n'roll songs people can dance to and then play them a little drunker and little faster/louder than they should be played. We've got a new album coming out this week entitled Blues Druid (we come up with great names, don't we?👍). It will be available starting Friday through local label Transistor 66 Records on CD and cassette (gross, I know. Basically just a vessel for a download code) or digitally at http://transistor66.com/. If you have some time, browse the Transistor 66 website. They've been putting out some of the best rock'n'roll in Canada for like 15-20 years now. Anyway, here's a song from our new album.

If you're looking for something to do on Friday night, the release show is at The Handsome Daughter (south end of Sherbrook). Cover is 10 bucks, show should start around 10:00-10:30. Here's the facebook event page with some more details https://www.facebook.com/events/496007157490383/

And here's the kickass poster that the incredible King Merinuk drew up for the show.

40024121_1861984970548596_29179526128441

Edited by ediger

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the Milk Carton Kids with The Barr Brothers as their opening act on Saturday night.  While MCK's library trends towards the down tempo, they are simply amazing at what they do.  Between the harmonies, the world-class guitar picking of Kenneth Pattengale and between song banter that is better than anyone I've ever seen (save the Smothers Brothers), I don't think I've ever got better value for a concert ticket.  They are a supremely underrated act - until you've heard them.  They could sing a how-to on how to fillet a jackfish and it would sound amazing.  

This is the purtiest song I've heard in years.

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎25 at 5:51 PM, Mark F said:

Why this Canadian band is not world famous is a puzzle. 

Not even famous in their own country. "“The whole thing feels different in many ways but it’s still just four guys doing what they do best together — looking for that spark in every song, sometimes once a night and sometimes not at all,” Thornley says."

They had a big hit in 1998 with That Song. 

• 2 weeks later...