The Music Thread

AtlanticRiderFan

38 minutes ago, iHeart said:

something I didn't know about

One of the radio stations i heard this morning (92 i think) said in the opening events for woodstock they played the canadian national anthem while americans threw bottles at em.

The hip are a lot like the CFL in my mind. A cultural institution of canada. Out side our borders not a whole lot of people get the deep passion that burns for them here. The hip are like our own modern day beatles.  Today the hip lost their front man, and we all as canadians lost a lil part of us.  This the day after john dunsworth too. Just heart wrenching. Gord Downie  may be gone, but the impact hes had on our country will still ripple greatly 100 years from now. The great one of music. The man, and band that march to the beat of their own drum no matter what. Id love to see today, or his birthday made a holiday.  Stat or other wise. 

6 minutes ago, iHeart said:

man how close was the festival location to Canada anyway?

well I guess Americans were more immature that I thought with them, I mean I know the spectators at the festival were acting like aholes but geez

That woodstock (i dont know if this one mentioned on the radio was another or this one) was just across the border. 

Americans are more protective of their anthem then any freedom. The ages old flag debacle in the world series etc. Mean while the mic cuts out in toronto and the canadian fans finish singing the american national anthem. Makes me laugh when i hear some people try to say we have no distinct culture all our own. 

Nice pick, TF.  Never seen the Maidens but damn from that video they look legit.  Sad to see such a limp crowd tho.

Here in Seattle we've got Hell's Belles, like the best AC/DC cover band going. They've been at it for almost twenty years now and their singer has some hella pipes.

Edited by johnzo
found better video

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This music is not for me, but posting this cause this guy is being touted as a real up and comer in the USA alt country scene... son of Brad Wall Sask premier. There was a post on Colter at saving country music.com and Brad came on and made a few nice posts of his own, proud dad.

I get why people like his stuff, but vocally he's not as strong as I was expecting. He's a solid writer, to be sure, but I was expecting more, vocally. A little too far outside the box for me. I love Corb Lund , but this is a bit too far outside...

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

but vocally he's not as strong as I was expecting.

I agree. 

I guess he got a boost from some of his  tunes played on a popular tv show.

anyway, nice to see him doing well down in the states, which you almost always have to do, to make a living in music.

Edited by Mark F

He got a boost from family money. Money is everything. It allowed him to hire Dave Cobb to produce his record and open some doors for him. Again, the kid is okay, but he's not great or deserving of all the success necessarily. Kinda like Brett Kissel, but that's a whole 'nother story.... 

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

He got a boost from family money. Money is everything. It allowed him to hire Dave Cobb to produce his record and open some doors for him. Again, the kid is okay, but he's not great or deserving of all the success necessarily. Kinda like Brett Kissel, but that's a whole 'nother story.... 

but sportsnet called him a Canadian legend when they interviewed him during a hockey game for some reason....