The Music Thread

AtlanticRiderFan

On 2021-09-14 at 8:07 PM, Noeller said:

Semi related, but I finally saw that "Yesterday" movie on Sunday. Really cool. Greatest band of all time, no question. 

I also saw it recently. Not bad. Really went down hill once Kate McKinnon came into it and I like Kate McKinnon. Also ES won the faceoff!

57 minutes ago, Noeller said:

For those of us who came of age in the 90s..... It was everything. Almost as important as The Hip. 

100% tho I was more of a Soundgarden guy.  Badmotorfinger was a facemelter...

but re Nirvana, the late eighties were such a terrible time for popular music.  I'll never forget the first time I heard Nevermind at a party and I was like "what, this stuff is popular now?"  Everything changed after that.

Edited by johnzo

42 minutes ago, johnzo said:

100% tho I was more of a Soundgarden guy.  Badmotorfinger was a facemelter...

but re Nirvana, the late eighties were such a terrible time for popular music.  I'll never forget the first time I heard Nevermind at a party and I was like "what, this stuff is popular now?"  Everything changed after that.

Yup. Same here. Soundgarden for me too. 

1991 was an incredible year in music. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Yup. Same here. Soundgarden for me too. 

1991 was an incredible year in music. 

Superunknown was a really big deal for me. Got that from the old BMG Music Club 12 Cd's for a buck program... Ha ha. Spoonman and Black Hole Sun were such a big deal. I eventually discovered Alice In Chains and PJ... All just so so so important for us 90s kids. Again, not as important as The Hip, but it's up there. Green Day and Offspring worth mentioning, too... A really big deal. 

10 hours ago, bustamente said:

I will be in the minority here but I hated all those so called grunge bands and the whole grunge era, force my genre underground where is still thrived but was never the same, one exception I do own 2 Alice in Chains cd's.

did the same thing to marshall crenshaw.... 

11 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

By coming of age, do you mean teenager? College?

College for me. I was 20 when Nevermind landed, which was the perfect time to hear the music that defines your generation (in pop culture terms, anyway.)

11 hours ago, bustamente said:

I will be in the minority here but I hated all those so called grunge bands and the whole grunge era, force my genre underground where is still thrived but was never the same, one exception I do own 2 Alice in Chains cd's.

a metalhead, right?

I would probably put Tragically Hip - Trouble At The Henhouse, Offspring - Smash, and Green Day - Dookie as the most important albums in my high school. Honourable mention to OLP - Naveed and Clumsy and The Wallflowers - Bringing Down The Horse.... 

10 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Top albums from my youth :

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here

wrong. (kidding)

best floyd album is piper at the gates of dawn.  or saucer full of secrets.  probly before your time. young sprout.

it was downhill after syd.

Edited by Mark F

18 minutes ago, Mark F said:

wrong. (kidding)

best floyd album is piper at the gates of dawn.  or saucer full of secrets.  probly before your time. young sprout.

it was downhill after syd.

Remember Ummagammum ?  With the longest song title ever - "Several species of small furry animals gathered togeather in a cave and grooving with a Pict "

Losing Syd ( from the band ) definatly impacted the band and it's music and was an inspiration for multiple songs.

Edited by the watcher

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Spice Girls FTW!

How did you know?

Actually I am the same age as Johnzo, but grunge in general never did anything for me. I did like Pearl Jam, but I didn’t get the whole “angst of a generation” vibe, and I thought the “Kurt Cobain as the troubled messiah” narrative was weird. Plus I could never understand what his lyrics were. 

I was more influenced by the late 80’s, and more into the top 40 stuff rather than alternative rock. U2 was obviously big for me. 

I've never understood the crazy fandom that exists for U2. I mean I don't mind them... The main stuff off Joshua Tree is obviously important.... But other than that... Eh. It's the same with bands like Coldplay and Radiohead.... I will never understand it. 

Edited by Noeller

Honestly, U2 has not put anything at all of worth out since 2004, and Bono’s preaching actually detracts from their music for me, but they do know how to put on a concert. Coldplay is in the same vein. Again it is all personal choice, I don’t need edgy defiance in my band, just give me an enjoyable tune. I don’t need a band to be more than that to appeal to me. 

And Fully Completely was my Hip album of choice. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever