The Music Thread

AtlanticRiderFan

31 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Finished it on Friday and also thoroughly enjoyed it.  I knew a lot of it but there was still quite a bit of interesting stuff that I hadn't heard before.  What they pulled off was amazing... so many artists signed to so many different labels.  It wasn't surprising to see how they almost self-destructed but the fact that they are still going is pretty incredible.

I knew nothing about the structure of the management, including Divine. They didn't dive too deep into it but you got the sense that there was a lot of money not making it back to the artists and they were bitter. 

22 minutes ago, JCon said:

I knew nothing about the structure of the management, including Divine. They didn't dive too deep into it but you got the sense that there was a lot of money not making it back to the artists and they were bitter. 

I got the sense there was also a lack of business knowledge as well.   In the last part when they were questioning Divine about his cut and he explained that if he got them a million dollar deal, they would get 800k and he would get 200k.  I believe it was GFK who replied f**k that, I want my million.  Every business manager/agent is going to get a cut, so if those guys were expecting every cent to go to them, it's not a surprise that things went sideways.

Trying to keep that many guys happy would be next to impossible and it eventually showed.  Now whether or not Divine was taking a cut that was more than fair, is another story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, JCon said:

I can still tell you the first time I heard this album and where I was. It blew my mind.

One of my all-time favorites and still gets played regularly when I'm driving.

One of my oldest memories is that they weren't allowed to play Rage at the Oak (Killing in the name of, specifically) because it got people too fired up.  The good ol days! 😂

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

One of my all-time favorites and still gets played regularly when I'm driving.

One of my oldest memories is that they weren't allowed to play Rage at the Oak (Killing in the name of, specifically) because it got people too fired up.  The good ol days! 😂

Summer before grade 10, when this came out. For me, it was more important than grunge. Although, grunge probably had a larger influence on me in the long run. 

I had already had my musical awakening but this showed me that music could be political. I remember listening to this album in an unfinished basement in Tuxedo, thinking, "**** you, I won't do what you tell me." The irony that I was in one of the most affluent, privileged neighbourhoods is not lost on me now. 

If you're ever inclined, Alan Cross (Ongoing History of New Music) has a few podcasts on Rage, their rise, fall, and rise again. https://omny.fm/shows/ongoing-history-of-new-music/rage-against-the-machine-part-1