The Music Thread

AtlanticRiderFan

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

Well, he's suing them, so maybe he can sue his way back in? I would go, if he's there. 

Regret big time not seeing them the last time they were here bout 5 years ago but he's had that medical incident couple months ago and they thought his throat is gravel now. Not sure of latest.

9 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Regret big time not seeing them the last time they were here bout 5 years ago but he's had that medical incident couple months ago and they thought his throat is gravel now. Not sure of latest.

I'm no huge FM fan by any means, but I was at that last tour when it hit Calgary, and it was definitely a solid show. So many hits between FM and Stevie's solo stuff...

15 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Yes, I missed the last one. My boss went and raved about it. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm no huge FM fan by any means, but I was at that last tour when it hit Calgary, and it was definitely a solid show. So many hits between FM and Stevie's solo stuff...

Lots and lots of stuff. Listening to the early, early, stuff recently, and FM really changed over time. 

• 2 weeks later...

probably for the  best, it sounded like a good idea then I remember reading about what went down at woodstock 99, people got angry because it was too damn hot and everything was too damn expensive, people these days would go crazy about not getting a wifi signal

https://www.tmz.com/2019/04/29/woodstock-50-canceled-music-festival/

Edited by iHeart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tunes partly responsible for people no longer listening to an entire album.

And Apple wants to emphasize streaming, which means much less money for the people that make the music.

Also, Itunes is a rattletrap mess.

Edited by Mark F

Napster and the illegal music sharing platforms of the time were killing the music industry and letting people download single songs. 

iTunes and the iPod gave people an easy way to pay for legitimate music the way they wanted and were going to one way or another. 

Agree that iTunes has become a bloated mess and it’s time has come. 

Not a big fan of streaming either, but at the same time, most people just don’t seem to want to buy music anymore.  

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Not a big fan of streaming either, but at the same time, most people just don’t seem to want to buy music anymore.  

I agree with this.

It's a real low point  for anyone attempting to survive as a full time musician/singer/songwriter/performer.

It's never been great, but now, it is abysmal.

Edited by Mark F

47 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I agree with this.

It's a real low point  for anyone attempting to survive as a full time musician/singer/songwriter/performer.

It's never been great, but now, it is abysmal.

The only way its possible is to tour non-stop and even then it's not a lucrative business. The few friends I have that are still making their living off of music are rarely home and when they are, they're working a part time job to supplement their income.

2 hours ago, ediger said:

The only way its possible is to tour non-stop and even then it's not a lucrative business. The few friends I have that are still making their living off of music are rarely home and when they are, they're working a part time job to supplement their income.

or do residencies in Vegas

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the Blaze Foley biopic on Netflix and it is really, really well done. John Prine has written enough brilliant songs on his own and doesn't need to cover anyone, but it says something about Blaze Foley's talent that he chose to cover Clay Pigeons.  Here's the original.

I just finished Wu Tang Clan (Of Mics and Men), a four part documentary series on the history of the Wu. I enjoyed it immensely. Some really good insight into the history of the Hip Hop legends.

Dollar dollar bills y'all. 

Edited by JCon

24 minutes ago, JCon said:

I just finished Wu Tang Clan (Of Mics and Men), a four part documentary series on the history of the Wu. I enjoyed it immensely. Some really good insight into the history of the Hip Hop legends.

Finished it on Friday and also thoroughly enjoyed it.  I knew a lot of it but there was still quite a bit of interesting stuff that I hadn't heard before.  What they pulled off was amazing... so many artists signed to so many different labels.  It wasn't surprising to see how they almost self-destructed but the fact that they are still going is pretty incredible.