Kyle Walters Presser

Mr. Perfect

It was posted elsewhere that most of the CEOs in the league have little connection the CFL, yet alone in playing. Why do the Bombers need that when other teams don't?

I'm not saying he won't be good in the role -- I'm just saying it seems like an arbitrary request given the make-up of other teams (including the successful ones).

Because we are dysfunctional. We need someone who understands the Blue Bombers, the fans, the CFL & how to run a business probably more than any  other team right now.. And we need someone like Wade Miller who has the credibility to bring the hammer down to malcontents if he has to. Maybe Buchko could have done that but it was pretty clear that under his leadership the team had become a train wreck.

It was posted elsewhere that most of the CEOs in the league have little connection the CFL, yet alone in playing. Why do the Bombers need that when other teams don't?

I'm not saying he won't be good in the role -- I'm just saying it seems like an arbitrary request given the make-up of other teams (including the successful ones).

Let me spin this around and ask it the other way.

If you can get a CEO with an incredible business background AND connections within the league, why would you not want that additional benefit?

FYP

You don't think this team is dysfunctional after everything that has happened? We're the laughing stock of the CFL, KBF. Maybe people in Kelowna don't care but If what they are saying in the media about the Bombers here in Calgary is any indication, I can only imagine what it's like in the 7 other CFL cities. Bob Irving was interviewed for about 20 minutes yesterday live on radio here & even though he tried to spin something positive about the Bombers even he felt the situation was circus like. He said it's about as bad as he's ever seen it  in his nearly 40 years covering the team & said he wonders what is going to happen tomorrow with the Bombers next as he has no clue.

If you want to hear what Bob thinks, Google CHQR, go to Audio & listen yesterday August 13th from about 8:06 pm on to the entire interview. It runs to 8:30 pm. And you can also  hear the comments of the interviewers about the Bombers.

You don't think this team is dysfunctional after everything that has happened? We're the laughing stock of the CFL, KBF. Maybe people in Kelowna don't care but If what they are saying in the media about the Bombers here in Calgary is any indication, I can only imagine what it's like in the 7 other CFL cities. Bob Irving was interviewed for about 20 minutes yesterday live on radio here & even though he tried to spin something positive about the Bombers even he felt the situation was circus like. He said it's about as bad as he's ever seen it  in his nearly 40 years covering the team & said he wonders what is going to happen tomorrow with the Bombers next as he has no clue.

If you want to hear what Bob thinks, Google CHQR, go to Audio & listen yesterday August 13th from about 8:06 pm on to the entire interview. It runs to 8:30 pm. And you can also  hear the comments of the interviewers about the Bombers.

I don't get how we are the "laughing stock of the CFL" yet our record is the same as Edmonton with Mr. Consequences as coach and while Hamilton and Montreal seem to be falling apart.  This "laughing stock" shtick seems a bit media manufactured to me.  If we come out and start winning games all of this laughing stock nonsense will go away, and instead be placed squarely on actual laughing stocks like Edmonton.  Edmonton is a massive joke this year, and it starts with their head coach.  We actually had a really good effort against one of the better teams last week, meanwhile Montreal looked like Winnipeg in the LDC last year in their game against Toronto.  If Toronto hadn't pulled Ray early that game would have been 86-0 by the end.

But we're not winning. We have QBs bitching in the media. We've fired our GM and CEO. We're starting a rookie QB in a really important game trying to get a first win in 5 tries at a new stadium that was a year behind schedule.

We say a QB is going to be the starter for the rest of the year, then bench him 2 games later.

Yes. We are the lauging stock of the CFL right now. Winning cures all, but unless this team turns things around quickly, the wins will be hard to come by.

I don't get how we are the "laughing stock of the CFL" yet our record is the same as Edmonton with Mr. Consequences as coach and while Hamilton and Montreal seem to be falling apart.  This "laughing stock" shtick seems a bit media manufactured to me.  If we come out and start winning games all of this laughing stock nonsense will go away, and instead be placed squarely on actual laughing stocks like Edmonton.  Edmonton is a massive joke this year, and it starts with their head coach.  We actually had a really good effort against one of the better teams last week, meanwhile Montreal looked like Winnipeg in the LDC last year in their game against Toronto.  If Toronto hadn't pulled Ray early that game would have been 86-0 by the end.

Walters does remind me of John Krasinki, maybe it's the hair.

On a serious note though, I thought it was a great presser, Walters has a plan, and love the fact that there's a lot more communication going on with the people that make decisions. Communication can work well without meddling.

Is it just me or does Miller seem a bit uncomfortable during press conferences ?

But we're not winning. We have QBs bitching in the media. We've fired our GM and CEO. We're starting a rookie QB in a really important game trying to get a first win in 5 tries at a new stadium that was a year behind schedule.

We say a QB is going to be the starter for the rest of the year, then bench him 2 games later.

Yes. We are the lauging stock of the CFL right now. Winning cures all, but unless this team turns things around quickly, the wins will be hard to come by.

ok fine.  But isn't Edmonton a laughing stock too?  I mean seriously.  That team is a freaking joke.  If by some miracle we crush Hamilton tomorrow, won't they also be laughing stocks?  This same crap was going on last year, people were saying "Winnipeg is the laughing stock of the league" yet Hamilton was worse and Edmonton had one more win.  Why is it always Winnipeg being picked on?  I don't get it.  There should be "consequences" for that. ;)

We are a laughing stock because of a number of things. One, we've had a losing record longer than a lot of teams, haven't won a Grey Cup in 23 years, the ongoing Buck Pierce fiasco since 2010, the merry go round of qbs, the ongoing questionable comments by Burke, the in fighting by management & coaches wanting their guy to play, negative player comments, LaPo firing after he was reupped, the feeling around the league Joe Mack wasn't any good as a GM, the leak by a Board member that Buchko recommended Mack be fired, the ultimate Mack canning  as well as Buchko himself. Need I say more?

Edmonton is becoming a joke as is Hamilton but because we've had more issues dating back to the Mike Kelly era with Lyle Bauer than those teams have had. The feeling around the CFL is we're a disaster. The team has no more credibility ledt. Mark Steven & Jock Wilson on CHQR just rip the Bombers every chance they get.

The same goes on in other CFL cities as well. We may not like it, but it is what it is. One winning season won't change the perception too much. The Bombers have to go on a roll. Win one or two Grey Cups & have a winning record for 2, 3 or more seasons before the rest of the CFL thinks we are a well run organization making sound decisions.

The one thing I took from that interview was just how sad Bob's voice sounds. The losing is killing him as well as we all know he loves the Blue Bombers & wants to call a Grey Cup victory on CJOB before he retires.

Mark Steven & Jock Wilson on CHQR just rip the Bombers every chance they get.

I don't know who those tools are and really couldn't care less.  I hope the Jets pound the Flames into the ground this year when those teams play, as the Flames are the laughing stock of the NHL right now.  All teams go through highs and lows - just wait until Hufnagel retires or loses it and the Stamps go in the dumper.  I highly doubt that even the lowest class of our media (Westwood/Friesen) would crap all over the Stamps.  I really hate people who kick others when they are down. 

I don't know who those tools are and really couldn't care less.  I hope the Jets pound the Flames into the ground this year when those teams play, as the Flames are the laughing stock of the NHL right now.  All teams go through highs and lows - just wait until Hufnagel retires or loses it and the Stamps go in the dumper.  I highly doubt that even the lowest class of our media (Westwood/Friesen) would crap all over the Stamps.  I really hate people who kick others when they are down. 

KBF, why  shouldn't the media from other cities put us down? We do it here at MBB all the time. It's normal. Bomber fans are doing it as are the Winnipeg media. Of the 2, Jock Wilson is more of a Gary Lawless & a Paul Friesen kind of guy. Mark Steven is the Stamps play by play announcer & knows the CFL very well & much more reserved. He just shuts up when Wilson goes on a roll because he talks at 80mph & just goes on & on & on. There's just no stopping him. Especially when every second sentence starts with, "I'm sorry, but..." . I'm sure 17to85 would concur about Wilson as he lives here as well.  

John Hufnagel got angry with Jock Wilson this past Monday night when Wilson asked Huff if he felt he should have benched Glenn in the 3rd quarter vs the Riders & play BLM. Huff nearly blew up saying that was a dumb question, unfair & disrespectful to Glenn himself. Just goes to prove there are media knobs in all cities.

The Bombers get blasted routinely out here by The Fan 960, the Calgary Herald, Sun & 770AM CHQR. It's routine. I could go to Vancouver, Toronto, Saskatchewan & hear it as well.

Just do me a favour. Don't shoot the messenger, here. I'm just giving all of you the perspective of a fan living in another CFL city. Don't be angry with me. if so, then talk to the hand.

KBF, why  shouldn't the media from other cities put us down? We do it here at MBB all the time.

The Bombers get blasted routinely out here by The Fan 960, the Calgary Herald, Sun & 770AM CHQR. It's routine. I could go to Vancouver, Toronto, Saskatchewan & hear it as well.

Just do me a favour. Don't shoot the messenger, here. I'm just giving all of you the perspective of a fan living in another CFL city. Don't be angry with me. if so, then talk to the hand.

Fair enough, I don't blame the media for blasting us but it just seems like such a lame thing to do.  It's one thing for fans to tease fans from other cities, it's another for the media to dog pile on.  Growing up, I don't remember the Winnipeg media ever really crapping all over other teams, even the Riders, who were downright pitiful at times.  With the advent of sports radio now having to be entertaining, I guess blasting other teams has become part of the process.  I don't like it, but they have advertisers to placate.

I'll give you Saskatchewan Iso, but if you were in Toronto or Vancouver, you'd just get "There's a football league in this country"?  Do they play at the same time as the Leafs/Canucks?

Fair enough, I don't blame the media for blasting us but it just seems like such a lame thing to do.  It's one thing for fans to tease fans from other cities, it's another for the media to dog pile on.  Growing up, I don't remember the Winnipeg media ever really crapping all over other teams, even the Riders, who were downright pitiful at times.  With the advent of sports radio now having to be entertaining, I guess blasting other teams has become part of the process.  I don't like it, but they have advertisers to placate.

I'll give you Saskatchewan Iso, but if you were in Toronto or Vancouver, you'd just get "There's a football league in this country"?  Do they play at the same time as the Leafs/Canucks?

There are a couple of media guys in Toronto that follow the CFL but granted you are correct. They do a great job on the CFL front. But there aren't enough of them. In Vancouver, they follow the Lions pretty well. Our other CFL fans here can tell us as well.

ok fine.  But isn't Edmonton a laughing stock too?  I mean seriously.  That team is a freaking joke.  If by some miracle we crush Hamilton tomorrow, won't they also be laughing stocks?  This same crap was going on last year, people were saying "Winnipeg is the laughing stock of the league" yet Hamilton was worse and Edmonton had one more win.  Why is it always Winnipeg being picked on?  I don't get it.  There should be "consequences" for that. ;)

Not to get way off topic, but I seriously don't understand how Kavis Reed is a HC in this league, let alone still coaching in any capacity in the CFL.

The reason the Bombers are being "picked on" is because of all the public crap that has been going on. From the stadium, to the firings, to the QB changes, to the QB bitching. It's been one headline after another. What has Edmonton done other than lose? The next day, outside Esk fans, it's forgotten. Yet time after time the Bombers have done things to get attention. Until we get some positive attention, all that will be remembered is the bad crap of the last two weeks.

Win, and it's forgotten, unless the players/coaches/management start saying stupid crap some more. There is a difference between being a really bad team, and being a laughing stock.

Not to get way off topic, but I seriously don't understand how Kavis Reed is a HC in this league, let alone still coaching in any capacity in the CFL.

Ed Hervey gave him an extension so the Esks are stuck with a long term contract. Don't like the guy as a HC either.