Top 10 CIS prospects for 2015 CFL draft

gbill2004

Here's some more fun for people who wonder about some of the roster moves that happened over the last year.  Receiving yards in 2014:

Akeem Foster - 25 yards

Kito Poblah - 37 yards

Jade Etienne - ha, fooled you

Giovanni Aprile - 0 yards

A walk down memory lane:

Jabari Arthur - 32 yards

Aaron Hargreaves - see Jade Etienne

Scott McHenry - 18 yards

There are going to be some beauty receivers in this draft as well. 2nd and 3rd rounders in this draft will be equivalent to most 1st rounders in the 2014 draft.

1rst round 2014 wide receiver Devon Bailey - 5 yards receiving so far in 2014.

2014 was a terrible draft. Ham and eggers for the most part.

There are going to be some beauty receivers in this draft as well. 2nd and 3rd rounders in this draft will be equivalent to most 1st rounders in the 2014 draft.

1rst round 2014 wide receiver Devon Bailey - 5 yards receiving so far in 2014.

2014 was a terrible draft. Ham and eggers for the most part.

Sure, but that's sort of the point.  Canadian talent is extremely hard to find.  If you have a NI receiver who can get you more than 400 yards in a season you have to realize that this is something that is not easily replaceable.  Sure we'd all like Watson to finally have that 800 yard season his potential has screamed out all these years, and will once again have to be disappointed, but outside of a very high pick it's making a move for making a move's sake.  And we probably get weaker because of it.

Honestly, we should trade Watson for a high draft pick.

An unpopular opinion around here but I agree. Watson doesn't have very much time left, between his constant injuries and decently high salary I don't think he'll be here for more than another year or two. IF we could get a second rounder and a backup Canadian receiver for him, I'd pull the trigger on a Watson deal. 

A desperate team like Ottawa with a foolish GM might be willing to overpay for him.

This makes no sense.  I understand being frustrated that a player has been injured, but why would we make a deal that almost certainly makes this team worse?

I think you might be overestimating the ease in which quality Canadian receivers can be found.  Wildly overestimating.

Here's a trivia question for you - of all the receivers drafted in the last two drafts, who has caught the most yardage (edit: this season)?

answer - Carl Fitzgerald, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, 38 yards.

Anthony  Coombs:  22 receptions 214 yards,

but I agree with your general point

An unpopular opinion around here but I agree. Watson doesn't have very much time left, between his constant injuries and decently high salary I don't think he'll be here for more than another year or two. IF we could get a second rounder and a backup Canadian receiver for him, I'd pull the trigger on a Watson deal. 

A desperate team like Ottawa with a foolish GM might be willing to overpay for him.

This makes no sense.  I understand being frustrated that a player has been injured, but why would we make a deal that almost certainly makes this team worse?

I think you might be overestimating the ease in which quality Canadian receivers can be found.  Wildly overestimating.

Here's a trivia question for you - of all the receivers drafted in the last two drafts, who has caught the most yardage (edit: this season)?

Oops.  Forgot about him, being out for the season and all.  Actually I probably overlooked him because he has a RB instead of a WR next to his name.  I should have caught that since Fitz is kind of a trick answer anyways, everyone thinks of him as a fullback, not a receiver.

Yeah, sure, I'll argue that he doesn't count cause he's not a receiver.  That's it.

Oops.  Forgot about him, being out for the season and all.  Actually I probably overlooked him because he has a RB instead of a WR next to his name.  I should have caught that since Fitz is kind of a trick answer anyways, everyone thinks of him as a fullback, not a receiver.

Yeah, sure, I'll argue that he doesn't count cause he's not a receiver.  That's it.

This is a total red herring...  Haidara is a huge prospect that is just in behind some massive receiver depth in BC

Nate Adjei has had some game time this year, must be ahead of Fitz

This is a total red herring...  Haidara is a huge prospect that is just in behind some massive receiver depth in BC

Poblah started ahead of him last week when they had to start three Canadian receivers. That's not a ringing endorsement.

Lots of guys are huge prospects.  Few of them will ever have the career Watson is having, the career some people can't stop complaining about.  Marco Ianuzzi was a huge prospect.  He has played more games than Watson this year and has half his yards.

Adjei has 52 yards.  CFL.ca has no useful sorting functions; I was going off of memory as which names to check.  The trivia is wrong.  The premise is not.

I like the looks of this draft. I had the unfortunate occasion to debate the Neufeld trade with Migs on BB.com. He felt the Riders absolutely fleeced the Bombers because of the 2nd round pick that came along with Hall. When I argued that a 2nd round in 2014 was roughly equivalent to a 4th round in 2015 he couldn't grasp the concept at all. A 2nd round pick is a 2nd round pick and a 4th round is a 4th round is all he kept saying. Tried to explain that a 4th rounder this year will likely yield as good or better of a NI prospect but he just danced around with his fingers in his ears saying I was crazy....sigh. Some Rider fans just believe what they want to believe. The kool aid is strong over there.

I like the looks of this draft. I had the unfortunate occasion to debate the Neufeld trade with Migs on BB.com. He felt the Riders absolutely fleeced the Bombers because of the 2nd round pick that came along with Hall. When I argued that a 2nd round in 2014 was roughly equivalent to a 4th round in 2015 he couldn't grasp the concept at all. A 2nd round pick is a 2nd round pick and a 4th round is a 4th round is all he kept saying. Tried to explain that a 4th rounder this year will likely yield as good or better of a NI prospect but he just danced around with his fingers in his ears saying I was crazy....sigh. Some Rider fans just believe what they want to believe. The kool aid is strong over there.

The best guys should always go at the top, but yes, the drop sounds like it is not nearly as steep or quick next year.  I like the possibility that we could use our first rounder on the Dline and still get a talented Olineman the next time up.  If our scouting is good, this is a really good year to have middle round picks.  I'll gladly take all the top picks too.

This is a draft we really need to make hay with. Last year after Goosen there was little opportunity to get better. This is a year that provides that chance. I hope our scouting department does it's homework and helps us close the gap in NI talent with other teams. I, also, hope this is the year the Bomber brass opens up the purse strings for NI talent. We are hosting the cup next year. I hope our intention is to improve off a solid rebuilding year and make a push for a cup by going hard in all areas of recruitment and FA.

Now that we've proven to be back on the rails, and on the right track at that, combined with the new stadium and a great players coach in Mike O'Shea.... I bet players will not only be willing to play here, they will want to play here... So the idea that we can improve our NI content through Free Agency is no longer a dream but a strong possibility IMO

Migs is hardly the typical Rider fan.  

So apparently Lemar Durant is NOT eligible for this year's draft. Thought he would be.

Durant is still a junior and is part of the 2016 Draft Class. 

Who are the three guys Duane Forde was referring to yesterday then that haven't declared for eligibility but will be top 10 guys when they do?

I figured one would be Durant. Can't a junior opt into the draft from the NCAA if he is in his 4th year? He redshirted a year if I remember correctly.

Now that we've proven to be back on the rails, and on the right track at that, combined with the new stadium and a great players coach in Mike O'Shea.... I bet players will not only be willing to play here, they will want to play here... So the idea that we can improve our NI content through Free Agency is no longer a dream but a strong possibility IMO

No longer a "red flag" destination will help.  As in most years though, we can't count on the best guys even reaching free agency.  We can keep dreaming about an Andrew Harris homecoming, but BC will keep doing everything in their power to extend his contracts.

Odds are come February we will see one or two signings that we would not have otherwise seen if not for the positive changes that are happening here this year.

I don't understand all the Watson hate and time to get rid of him talk. It just doesn't make sense to me.

The problem is trading Watson will not yield a 1st round pick so why bother? It is a deep draft so if the Bombers could get a 2nd rounder for Watson from Ottawa they would be all over it (Bombers). Watson is okay but he is hurt a lot and hasn't done much.