Canadiens sign Subban to 8 year deal

Rich

Financial details not yet released, but rumoured to be in the 9M per year range.

Is he worth it?

If they wanted to keep him, they didn't really have a choice.  I think he was likely to get 7 - 8 in arbitration for 1 year .... then what?

8 years 72 million they say, aav of 9 million. Is he worth it? I'm not a habs fan but, i don't really like this contract at all. He's a good player but 9 million a year is paying him like he's one of the  best and in my opinion, he isn't one of the  best. He's not even the best all around D man in the league. Maybe not even in the top 10. He's a very good offensive d man but not very good in his own zone. 

That's a brutal cap hit for a guy who might win you some games but will definitely lose you some games too. 

It's fair market value to where franchise players are going to be sooner than later. Crosby comparisons don't work because he took less to help out the Pens and his salary is a drop in the bucket compared to his endorsements anyway.

Wasn't meant as a comparison as the Crosby deal was signed 6 years ago, and his salary was huge back then when he signed.  It was a commentary on the inflation and escalation of salaries over time.

I still say that we're going to start seeing rookie contracts jump straight to long-term contracts...  wouldn't be surprised if Trouba jumps from $800k this season to $6.5 or 7.5 for seven years...

Unless Trouba hits sophmore jinx, then it will be hard to offer him a $3 million bridge contract if he ends up with more ice time than Enstrom/Bogo.