One Glorious Night by Ed Tait - Dunigan's record setting game

I watched it on TV - it was like watching a video. I think they replay it once in awhile on eSPN classic canada

Video of it doesn't exist other than the scant highlights...

That's the same as it is in my head.

I was at that game and it was electric, and the fans made it even more so…but replaying it in my head only yields…..scant highlights.

In those days I went to almost every game. But my Grandma had gone away to visit my cousins for a week or so and left me use of her K Car. Thusly I had to pick her up at the bus station when she got home. Right in the middle of that game.

That was the first game i remember being at, was only about 7 or 8 at the time but... man, that made me a fan for life. Haven't seen anything since then even close to that performance that Matty D had that game. Unreal. The video brings back some nice memories actually. 

Dunigan did have a cannon but the reason he suffered so many concusions was because of the way he played the game, Dude was buck pierce before buck pierce, by that i mean, He would take the head shot to get that extra half yard or yard needed to get the first down or touchdown, The guy was crazy on the field, going 100 percent all the time and unfortunately it caught up to him. 

It caught up to BUCK, buck was more injury prone than Dunigan though, It's gonna catch up to Reilly too one day, He's gonna get nailed one game and he's gonna stay down for a while. It's just bound to happen when you play the way some of these guys do.

Dunigan,Buck,Reilly... all played/play a certain way, balls to the wall... all out. Eventually, just wait, maybe not this week maybe not next maybe not this season but sometime soon,Reilly is gonna get injured badly too. It's just bound to happen the way he plays the game.

Dunigan did have a cannon but the reason he suffered so many concusions was because of the way he played the game, Dude was buck pierce before buck pierce, by that i mean, He would take the head shot to get that extra half yard or yard needed to get the first down or touchdown, The guy was crazy on the field, going 100 percent all the time and unfortunately it caught up to him. 

It caught up to BUCK, buck was more injury prone than Dunigan though, It's gonna catch up to Reilly too one day, He's gonna get nailed one game and he's gonna stay down for a while. It's just bound to happen when you play the way some of these guys do.

Dunigan,Buck,Reilly... all played/play a certain way, balls to the wall... all out. Eventually, just wait, maybe not this week maybe not next maybe not this season but sometime soon,Reilly is gonna get injured badly too. It's just bound to happen the way he plays the game.

Not the smartest way to play the game as far as long term health is concerned that's for sure.  I liken it to a brawler  vs. a well trained boxer.  A brawler may be able to dole out enough punishment to win matches but in the long-term his career will be dramatically shortened by the damage he accumulates.

People were criticizing Nick Moore for "going down easy" but the way I look at it is his objective is ball retention and securing a first down not breaking tackles.  If the first two objectives have been achieved than strategically he has fulfilled his duties.  Three things can happen when a player fights for extra yards and two of them are bad.

1.  He increases the odds of being stripped of the ball.

2.  He increases the odds of being injured. (ie. Cory Watson)

3.  He occasionally breaks tackle and gains extra yards.

Of course none of these rules apply to the RB who by definition is designed to break tackles and fight for the extra yard.  Most RB's have careers of 2-3 years so they truly are the sacrificial lambs of football.  Can't recall many RBs that lasted 10 years other than George Reed.  Sad thing in the modern era George Reed would probably have only had a career that lasted 2-3 years before he was replaced by somebody deemed to be "better".

speaking of Dunigan and his head trauma...if you read his book (it's really good..) it's kind of scary because you can tell the parts where he's drifting in and out and has fuzzy spots. It's really trippy...that dude is literally messed in the head.