Moving To A Different Province

Fraser

I'm sure there is much less differnce between a 400k home in wpg and cal than there was 5 years ago.

I was never looking at $400,000 houses in either place :P but there's not even the option for the house I was looking for (under $200,000) here. Same house looks to be around $350,000 in a decent area here.  How do people afford houses here? It's insane. 

That said, from quick glances those "new" 1200 sqft houses in Calgary are kind of comparable to the new construction in Winnipeg (Waverley Heights etc) - around $350,000.  Probably much less fancy inside though.

That sounds about what my friends have said. There are some nice 1,000-1500 sq foot 3 bedrooms in NK, GC etc for $250-300,000 so something similar for $450-500,000 makes sense.

That's probably true, but I know when I was looking NK/GC wasn't even an area I was considering.  There are definitely some lower cost areas (still safe obviously) where you can get nicer housing at a lower cost in Winnipeg.

I live in McKenzie Lake. Bought 15 years ago for $225,000, currently valued at $570,000. 2,000 sq ft. House prices in Calgary are high for sure. When I first moved here they had things called starter homes which sold for around $130,000. Now nothing is really available for less than $300k.

For me it takes 20 mins to get down town for work (I leave at 5:50am) and 30 mins to get home (I leave at 3:30pm). If I leave at 4 the trip take 45 mins and f I leave at 4:30 it's usually 60+ mins to get home. Rush hour seems to start at 3:30 and ends around 7:00.

Places to eat are not an issue and better places pop up all the time.

Still kills me sometimes that I didn't keep the condo I used to own in Calgary 10 years ago when I moved back to MB.

Everyone I know in the city who bought before 2005 was laughing about how much the value shot up, everyone who bought after curses not getting in before. Just an unreal price hike over that year. 

Moved from Morden to a town of about 8000 in 2007. About an hour north of Calgary. There's a lot i miss about MB (fishing at our Victoria Beach cabin...sigh) but AB is pretty great. Once you've lived in the mountains, its nearly impossible to live anywhere else. I just bought for 230k but its a 2007 1300 sq ft starter bi-level. Housing is steep but Wpg has gone up a ton, too...