Moving To A Different Province

Fraser

If you want a quick snapshot of how much provincial income taxes are in each of the province - take a look here:

http://www.pwc.com/ca/en/tax/publications/pwc-facts-figures-2013-06-en.pdf (page 9 of the PDF)

BC and AB are quite a bit cheaper than MB which may offset some of your housing. 

plus you're likely to earn more out here anyway, though I guess it kind of does depend on what line of work. 

I literally just moved from Winnipeg to Calgary.

- Housing prices seem much higher than Winnipeg, rental prices are about $300/month more I've found (but if you keep looking you can find a sweet deal - I'm in a 3 bedroom house in an older residential area about 15 min from downtown - think St James - for $1300 + utilities).  But purchase wise, I can't really find anything under $300k.

- Overall daily things are about the same price.  Horse board is about $150/mth more expensive (just as a reference point for another "large" monthly purchase) but gorgeous around here so a bit more worth it.

- Can't speak on the winters yet but SO MUCH LESS HUMID.  I love it.  

- Can't really speak on the social aspect of Calgary, not really someone who goes out unless its to a pub.  

- Nowhere has air conditioning... apparently it's because no one needs it.  I NEEDS IT /end gollum impression. 

- Lots of good places to eat

- Easy to get around (it may be bigger, but Winnipeg is awful for transport anyway)  - I feel like I can get to most places relatively easily within 30 minutes.

- I still have the option to move back to Winnipeg after... probably will.  There's no way I can get a house around here for what I pay (and enjoy) in Winnipeg.  Unless miraculously the market explodes in Winnipeg and crashes here ;)

- Easy to get around (it may be bigger, but Winnipeg is awful for transport anyway)  - I feel like I can get to most places relatively easily within 30 minutes.

As someone who lived in Calgary, I can say this isn't really true.  The biggest hassle for me in Calgary was getting around.  It's so damn spread out and if you have friends in different corners of the city, be prepared for some real travel time.  And traffic... oh boy.  I'm sure it's worse in places like Vancouver and Toronto, but I've never experienced anything in Winnipeg remotely close to rush hour on the busy Calgary thoroughfares.

As someone who lived in Calgary, I can say this isn't really true.  The biggest hassle for me in Calgary was getting around.  It's so damn spread out and if you have friends in different corners of the city, be prepared for some real travel time.  And traffic... oh boy.  I'm sure it's worse in places like Vancouver and Toronto, but I've never experienced anything in Winnipeg remotely close to rush hour on the busy Calgary thoroughfares.

so much this. transit in calgary is fine if you're going to or from downtown, but if you're going anywhere else via transit it's brutal. It's a city built around driving, but there's really a problem with having a few major roads that you almost have to take to get anywhere and at rush hour it can become total insanity. Granted I live on the south edge of the city, but I've spent over an hour driving  across the city just because of the volume of traffic. Calgary is just such a massive city compared to Winnipeg, not so much population, but the area it occupies. If you're going from one end of the city to the other it's a long way to go. 

Really?  I've noticed the traffic is bad, but not BAD if you avoid accidents/etc (eg - keep going and get the next trail etc). I've been in some pretty awful traffic in Winnipeg.  Can't really speak on transit in Calgary as I drive.  I haven't had a huge need to drive in the north for example, as everything you need is nearby.  Imo driving across Winnipeg can EASILY take an hour. Transcona to Charleswood? Have fun.  Even Lag - Charleswood, at least 45 minutes.  I dunno, I expected it to be worse, that's all I'm sayin'.

I bought in Cranston for about 400000, but go across the street there's houses for anywhere from half a mil to a mil. Different people have different thresholds for what nice is. But bottom line when comparing to Winnipeg I don't think 200000 difference is the actual number, just seems way too big a gap. 

My house in Lake Bonavistahere in Calgary is 40 years old  & 1200 sq ft. My brother's house in Island Lakes in Winnipeg is 20 years old & 1800 sq ft & has many more ammenities than mine & my home is still worth more than his. if my brother's home was in Calgary, it would easily be $700,000.

One thing that was different in Calgary when my family was there was winter services. When it snowed the philosophy for plowing residential streets was "wait for a chinook". They would only do residential streets if the road was impassable. Don't know if that's changed.

One thing that was different in Calgary when my family was there was winter services. When it snowed the philosophy for plowing residential streets was "wait for a chinook". They would only do residential streets if the road was impassable. Don't know if that's changed.

same.

Nope. Don't have those. We do  have to shovel the public sidewalk in front of our homes. But the sidewalk is right beside the road. No boulevards like you see in Winnipeg.

My memory might be playing tricks with me but I'm pretty sure the neighbourhood where I lived in Calgary did.