Bo Levi Mitchell to get the start over Drew Tate

Count me in as surprised.   Tate looked better (albeit just slightly)  and seemed to have a better command of the huddle.  The couple of times they showed Bo Levi, he looked quite stunned.    

But who am I to question John Hufnagel and Dave Dickenson.  .  

Count me in as surprised.   Tate looked better (albeit just slightly)  and seemed to have a better command of the huddle.  The couple of times they showed Bo Levi, he looked quite stunned.    

I wonder attitude had something to do with this. I always see Tate telling people what they should have done after the play.

Tate's a hothead & a flake. He appears to be a selfish, "Me First" kind of qb. He doesn't like to look bad so he snarls at teammates when they screw up. He may be fiery but I don't consider him a true leader because of that trait. BLM is a cool customer who has a totally different demeanor on the field. if he starts the majority of the games he'll start distancing himself from Tate.

Drew Tate, 5 years with the Stamps & started 9 games. Buck Pierce light.

Yes but he was the backup QB for, what, 3 of those seasons...

I'm actually surprised they went with BLM.... not cuz of his talent level but cuz Tate looked a little better and has been there longer... my guess is they want to develop some consistency and Tate is an injury waiting to happen....

I wonder attitude had something to do with this. I always see Tate telling people what they should have done after the play.

If they messed up, why not tell them what they did wrong so they don't do it again?  *shrug*

If they messed up, why not tell them what they did wrong so they don't do it again?  *shrug*

Maybe it's not so much what he's saying (e.g., ran a wrong route, missed a block etc) but how he says it that may rub certain players the wrong way.

As a QB leading the offense, a must is being an excellent communicator, knowing individual styles in what what works best for them in getting a message understood. 

Well, I for one strongly believe one of those two will be on a different team soon, Mtrl or Ottawa but most likely Montreal. By soon I mean two years (max) not tomorrow. I think BLM gets the start as that is who the Stamps see as their 'future' QB and they want to see now. If he falters they still have a healthy (?) Tate to put in but IMO Tate will be the odd man out. He could be in Montreal sooner than later given the state of the QB situation in Montreal 

Well, I for one strongly believe one of those two will be on a different team soon, Mtrl or Ottawa but most likely Montreal. By soon I mean two years (max) not tomorrow. I think BLM gets the start as that is who the Stamps see as their 'future' QB and they want to see now. If he falters they still have a healthy (?) Tate to put in but IMO Tate will be the odd man out. He could be in Montreal sooner than later given the state of the QB situation in Montreal 

There's no  one behind BLM if Tate is dealt away so he'd not going anywhere unless it's a qb swap with the Stamps.

There's no  one behind BLM if Tate is dealt away so he'd not going anywhere unless it's a qb swap with the Stamps.

Like I said  not tomorrow. But tell me ISO, you're BLM, I'm Tate, it's contract time. You gonna play for backup money? I sure as hell ain't - I'm a #1 QB and I want to be paid like one. That's what I'm telling my agent. I bet you you're saying the same thing yours. Do you honestly think Calgary can support two starting QB wages? I sure don't. To me, this isn't even an opinion, it's a fact. One of them will be gone, and they'll just bring in another guy to be the backup. They don't need to 'now' as the contracts are 'set' but neither one has a lifetime contract for backup money that I"m aware of. And I still say BLM is the man the Stamps want/see as their #1 so there is no room for Tate. This starting assignment is step one. If they can keep Tate healthy and Montreal struggles, you can almost book a trade for something Calgary needs to get them over the top, and a backup QB coming back would most likely be part of it (Marsh would be my bet) but not 'the' guy, most likely a player (starter) Calgary needs at the time will also be part of it. 

I think going with BLM is the right call on Calgary's part. Tate just can't stay healthy, and if BLM is able to perform, he gives them the best chance at the continuity at the QB position needed to be a great team. I'm sure they don't want to lose Tate in week 16 and throw BLM cold into the playoffs, just like I'm sure they don't want to lose Tate in week 6 only to see a QB controvery emerge when he comes back right before the playoffs.

The problem I can see is that while BLM is no doubt talented, he is still raw, and there are likely to be some growing pains.Calgary is in "win now" mode, and if BLM struggles at all will the coaches and especially the fans be patient enough to put up with the growing pains of a young QB? He's surrounded by talent, but might not have the benefit of improving at his own pace.

Like I said  not tomorrow. But tell me ISO, you're BLM, I'm Tate, it's contract time. You gonna play for backup money? I sure as hell ain't - I'm a #1 QB and I want to be paid like one. That's what I'm telling my agent. I bet you you're saying the same thing yours. Do you honestly think Calgary can support two starting QB wages? I sure don't. To me, this isn't even an opinion, it's a fact. One of them will be gone, and they'll just bring in another guy to be the backup. They don't need to 'now' as the contracts are 'set' but neither one has a lifetime contract for backup money that I"m aware of. And I still say BLM is the man the Stamps want/see as their #1 so there is no room for Tate. This starting assignment is step one. If they can keep Tate healthy and Montreal struggles, you can almost book a trade for something Calgary needs to get them over the top, and a backup QB coming back would most likely be part of it (Marsh would be my bet) but not 'the' guy, most likely a player (starter) Calgary needs at the time will also be part of it. 

Both did sign contract extensions in 2013 so they're bound to the Stamps in 2014 & maybe even 15. Huff was asked an interesting question at the Stamps Fan Forum in April. The question was, would he be interested in trading to get Glenn back (when he was still with the redblacks)? His answer was no as he extended both Tate & BLM so there is no more money in the budget at the qb position. He also said he knew Glenn's contract very well as he was the one who negotiated it with his agent. Tate is locked up so he would make excellent trade bait as anyone who gets him knows they'll have him for awhile. I think eventually the Stamps will have to make a move yes, but it won't be this season I don't believe.