Telegin Explains Suspension

Great interviews with both Pavs and Telegin.

http://sbn.to/1lF0LFU

Telegin in particular explains that he was rightfully suspended but the reason he didn't report was all mental. He was so severely concussed while playing in St Johns that he couldn't being himself to play there again. He even sought mental health.

Hope he is healthy. He could eventually be a mid six guy for the jets.

Telegin definitely has some issues, I'm surprised the Jets didn't send him to a proper shrink. Specially after the Rypien thing.

Seems like Telegin is partially telling the truth And partially making excuses.

I don't buy the whole can't mentally play for St Johns because of the injury...

Telegin definitely has some issues, I'm surprised the Jets didn't send him to a proper shrink. Specially after the Rypien thing.

Seems like Telegin is partially telling the truth And partially making excuses.

I don't buy the whole can't mentally play for St Johns because of the injury...

You have obviously never had a concussion then. If you have, you wouldn't be making light of his situation. Concusions are serious business, they are a significant brain injury, It's not a good thing to have happen to you, for your sake, from a guy who has had 2 from playing hockey and 1 from falling off my 4 wheeler 3 years ago, I hope you never get one.

I don't think you actually understand how bad they are. To this day, the smallest of headache, it bothers me badly. Light effects me pretty badly sometimes, i will wear sunglasses at times even inside because even flourescent lights bother me at times. It's not funny and I don't think you should say what you did in your last line cuz it's obvious you don't really understand what concussions actually do to you. Get one and you get the 2nd one a lot easier, get 2 and the 3rd one happens easier and so on. It's not fun. It does mess with you. Have you ever had one? I know the answer, it's no because if you did have one, your last line wouldn't be there because you would actually understand how serious they are. 

I've had a few "minor" concussions over the years, mostly from being punched in the head.  But the last time, while wrestling, I was "in the zone" and allowed too many unprotected chair shots to my skull.  I felt fine right after.  But about two hours later I started feeling really sick.  All that night and the next day I was a disaster.  And to this day, Im very, very forgetful.  Could just be me.  Could be concussions.

I tend to believe Telegin and I assume the Jets do too as that explains their sudden lifting of his suspension and allowing him to go overseas.  I hope hes back for training camp.

Also, Pavs has a great attitude.  I especially loved his response to how cold Winnipeg is and he said "Im here to play hockey".

Crashed my dirtbike over a jump as a teen oh so many years ago.  Not even very hard, it was just a bad angle and my back tire kicked out.  Not really any worse for wear, definitely embarrassed, I dusted myself off, picked up my bike, kicked the starter and headed for home.  That is the last thing I remember doing for about 9 hours.  The next memory I have was waking up in my bed, going down the hallway, and asking my parents what day it was.  I didn't have a clue.  Somewhere in all of that blackness I would have to have driven across at least one highway to get home.

I have many since, probably one or two before, and they definitely come easier now.  It does not take much of a knock to the noggin before that sensation of the world sliding away from you comes back.  I don't have any current symptoms that bother me, other than sometimes when reading stories to my son.  Back then it just wasn't something we ever thought about.  It's only in hindsight that those events and what happened make sense.  Oh hey, that was a concussion.  Back in the day, if you didn't lose consciousness you didn't have a concussion.  That was the rule.  Not a very good rule.

I had back to back concussions in hockey when I was 16. It wasn't fun. After the first one I came back next game even though I didn't feel 100 percent. To this day very sensitive to light, and my short term memory isn't as good as it was before hand. Really have to feel for these athletes. Up until recently concussions weren't taken very seriously and they DEFINITELY have long term effects on the brain. End of the day, hockey is a sport. It's not worth jeopardizing your long term health over.

The brain is a funny thing.

I've had a number of concussions too. Only knocked out cold once. Mostly hockey. I don't have any of the more serious symptoms, but light sensitivity is an issue.

damn flourescent lights especially. 

I had back to back concussions in hockey when I was 16. It wasn't fun. After the first one I came back next game even though I didn't feel 100 percent. To this day very sensitive to light, and my short term memory isn't as good as it was before hand. Really have to feel for these athletes. Up until recently concussions weren't taken very seriously and they DEFINITELY have long term effects on the brain. End of the day, hockey is a sport. It's not worth jeopardizing your long term health over.

Who was that football player for san diego? junior seau was it? beast on the field, a mountain of a man, experienced several concussions over the course of his career, those concussions messed him up so bad that he decided to end his own life. Sad story, all probably could have been avoided with a proper diagnosis. 

Many examples of brain injuries leading to unusual behaviour be it suicide, violence etc

I got into a heated debate on some jets forum about fighting in the NHL and the concussion issue. I was quite surprised at some of the attitudes which were essentially that they didn't care if it damaged brains, they were entertained by staged fights so they hopes they continues. Appalling really.

I dont know about the hockey thing... I think lots of the issues with hockey brawlers is that they are mental before they start their career and a large Amount of them were drinking , doing drugs and on some kind of roids. I think with hockey lots of the guys like Probert live very similar lifestyle to wrestlers. Very self destructive.

There are stats to show that most concussions are not from fighting. Probably the law of averages. But my point on the other forum was that I didn't think the NHL took concussions as seriously as they should because they still encourage fighting. And that they should take a look at the NFL lawsuit and get a little more pro-active.

I think it was George Laraque who said he hated having to fight every night but if he wanted to play pro hockey he had to. In comparison to wrestling of draw a like to steroids. Maybe no one told you to take steroids but only the guys on juice got the push and the money.

I definitely agree that fighting should be removed from Hockey... no need for it and if someone wants to watch two guys go at it then they should watch UFC or Glory.    

I definitely can vouch for professional fighters having long term damage from multiple blows to the head.... you don't have to be concussed to have long term damage if you keep getting hit in the head.  

Regardless with Telegin... if he is having any kind of issues mentally post concussion he should quit hockey altogether....  it's not worth long term damage just to cash in some big pay days.