Tyson Pencer Released

Oi with the terrible Nate nicknames. We're going to have to go back to the old OB.com rules of Nate being allotted a max number of posts per day, and then finding a way to limit the hyperbole as well. (See: Talking out of ass with nothing to back it up)

Sounds like this was an attitude issue for Pencer, and if there's one thing MOS won't tolerate, it's people not being pros and taking the job seriously. "Shape up or ship out", apparently...

Oi with the terrible Nate nicknames. We're going to have to go back to the old OB.com rules of Nate being allotted a max number of posts per day, and then finding a way to limit the hyperbole as well. (See: Talking out of ass with nothing to back it up)

Sounds like this was an attitude issue for Pencer, and if there's one thing MOS won't tolerate, it's people not being pros and taking the job seriously. "Shape up or ship out", apparently...

Best part of this new forum .. being able to ignore individual posters .. unfortunately as a mod .. I can't do that ..

Given the o-line depth it is surprising he would be released. Weather it is health or talent he is obviously thought to be expendable. You can bet the bb will be looking at the releases or practice rosters of the other teams. OL don't grow on trees. He would obviously been a backup so they feel that anything but him has more upside.

Its not like other teams didn't have first round busts, I like the selective complaints.

It wasn't like Pencer was a projected 4th round pick some other team would of scooped him up.

Taman never had bad drafts because he dealed away all of our picks.

The mack hate is lame.

As for Pencer , many people on here noticed how terrible he was and they all said he was going to get cut in a matter of time.

No the problem isn't "mack made a bad pick".... every GM has done that.... the problem is Mack traded up with the initial condition being that his guy would be available (Jabar Westerman) but when BC traded up to 2, we all knew who they were taking... yet Mack completed the trade anyways.... then he selected a guy we could've easily got at 9 or 10 or wherever we were originally scheduled to pick... and the other problem is he made the exact same mistake prior year with Jade.... I have no problem picking a guy you like but why not trade down, gain more picks, and still get the guy you want.... drafting 101, a class Joe Mack apparently flunked!

Ugh. He seemed like he had a nasty side to him which I was excited to see if he ever got his act together.  Looks like that's it for him...

If he gets his act together he probably still will land a job in this league (if his shoulders are healthy).  Can't make a player do that though.  He already had a carrot (CFL career) dangling in front of him, so what's left?  Demonstrating that the carrot can be taken away?  Well now that's happened.  Maybe we'll hear from him again someday.  Maybe he's out of the league for good.

Its not like other teams didn't have first round busts, I like the selective complaints.

It wasn't like Pencer was a projected 4th round pick some other team would of scooped him up.

The mack hate is lame.

As for Pencer , many people on here noticed how terrible he was and they all said he was going to get cut in a matter of time.

No the problem isn't "mack made a bad pick".... every GM has done that.... the problem is Mack traded up with the initial condition being that his guy would be available (Jabar Westerman) but when BC traded up to 2, we all knew who they were taking... yet Mack completed the trade anyways.... then he selected a guy we could've easily got at 9 or 10 or wherever we were originally scheduled to pick... and the other problem is he made the exact same mistake prior year with Jade.... I have no problem picking a guy you like but why not trade down, gain more picks, and still get the guy you want.... drafting 101, a class Joe Mack apparently flunked!

Little bit of revisionist history, but he still mishandled it a bit.

Hamilton and Winnipeg agreed to a conditional trade on the morning of the draft. It was mentioned as a conditional trade on the draft preshow, before they started picking. Then Hamilton suddenly yanked the conditions out from under Winnipeg and made them make a decision to either take the deal now or it was off the table. Mack took it, BC jumped to 2 and the rest was history.

People make it seem like Mack just flipped picks for the third overall AFTER Buono jumped to second overall, but that's not really how it went down.

But Mack's gone... why keep complaining and bitching about it though?  

I just had to defend my point... normally I don't talk about previous regimes

Fine... I'll accept that.  Guess it's just the morning and all this complaining about Mack is just irritating.

The mack hate is lame.

No, that wasn't exactly what happened.  Mack did not have an option on that trade to wait and see what happened in front of him.  He made the trade, then after BC made their trade.  Hamilton was not interested doing a trade with us where we could do takesy-backsies.  Lots of things in hindsight that we could have changed about that moment but your timeline is off and the situation was not entirely what you say it was.

Hugely disappointing, but other teams draft picks have been just as lacklustre.

we didn't have a 1st or a 3rd... but our 2nd and 4th are playing.

(and if Luke Wilson ever makes it back to Canada...)

The mack hate is lame.

Pencer wasn't projected as a 4th round pick but I graded him out as a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick. He was my 6th best OL. Had the extent of his injuries been known or made public while he was with the Okanagan Sun rather than folks giving off the info that he was sitting out to work he would have likely been a 4th or 5th round projection. He was able to train but his shoulder damage wasn't picked up by the junior team trainers.

Pencer wasn't projected as a 4th round pick but I graded him out as a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick. He was my 6th best OL. Had the extent of his injuries been known or made public while he was with the Okanagan Sun rather than folks giving off the info that he was sitting out to work he would have likely been a 4th or 5th round projection. He was able to train but his shoulder damage wasn't picked up by the junior team trainers.

It's called "doing your home work". Mack wasn't really a fan of doing that. /mackbashing

I just hope that with the new regime, this doesn't happen again, especially with an o-lineman. I doubt we'll ever see Stephen Alli here either.

Probably should have played through the flu.  Oh well.

The real revisionist history in all of this was Mack's version after the 2012 draft talking about 'not having enough firepower' to trade up to #2...  Wally gave up 4, 14 and  38 for 2 and 20.   Mack gave up 8 and 13 for #3.  Pretty comparable...  if Mack heard that Buono was chasing Edmonton, he could have easily offered 3 and a 3rd for 'his guy'.  All armchair GM stuff, of course.

2012 was not a 'weak' draft... the first two rounds were very strong.  Been noticing a bit of a trend that second rounders seem to end up contributing sooner than first round players these days...  

Walters is still overpaying but, man, am I glad we've moved on from the Mack era... just too bad it took so long.

Called it, and I don't ever get predictions right.

Pencer just didn't look like a football player against the Argos.

Watched the 4th quarter again, that sack/fumble on Brohm with around 5 minutes left was all on Pencer. The Argo guy Whiteside just walked right around him like he wasn't even there. No footspeed, no blocking. Either he's hurt or he's just not that good, but he definitely was a turnstyle out there on almost every play.