The TV Thread

For some reason I thought that it was the Wachowski brothers, not brother and sister.  Am I having a stroke?

I'm not a doctor so I don't know about the question but… looks like you're fine

"Lana Wachowski (born June 21, 1965) and her brother, Andrew Paul "Andy" Wachowski (born December 29, 1967), known together professionally as the Wachowskis or the Wachowski Starship[5][6] and formerly as the Wachowski Brothers, are American film directors, screenwriters and producers.[7]

I'm surprised at how little publicity Lana's sex change received given what we've seen with Caitlyn Jenner recently.   I'm a movie nerd so they are much bigger in my little world than Jenner ever will be and I had no idea until about a year ago.

Through 7 episodes of OITNB and it only gets slightly better.  You can see the very conscious decision to be "funny" this season and its not working.  I think the only thing holding this season above "awful" status is the effort of the cast.  Very disappointing.

I also feel like the back stories are seriously lacking in depth this season.  In combination with the terrible (lack of) plot, I have to wonder if this will be the last season. 

Through 7 episodes of OITNB and it only gets slightly better.  You can see the very conscious decision to be "funny" this season and its not working.  I think the only thing holding this season above "awful" status is the effort of the cast.  Very disappointing.

I also feel like the back stories are seriously lacking in depth this season.  In combination with the terrible (lack of) plot, I have to wonder if this will be the last season. 

Given the format and the popularity, they will get renewed.  But they have to go back to what works.  Show some of the darker side of prison and let the humour flow organically rather than forcing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I ended up watching the pilots for Lucifer (which is a midseason show for Fox) and Blindspot (NBC, which will air on CTV in Canada in the Fall) yesterday, both were okay at best IMO. Without giving away too many details, Blindspot is pretty much Jason Bourne meets "The Blacklist". As for Lucifer, there were some laughs in there, however the case itself I didn't much care for (both are procedural shows, which I almost never watch), the Lucifer character is loosely based on the Veritgo comics (a subsidy of DC Comics) character. Lucifer's personality has changed quite a bit, the whole time I was watching the episode I thought of NBC's Constantine.

Havent even heard of either of those.  A buddy told me Sense8 is really good but I havent had a chance to check it out yet.

True Detective 2 ended up being really good though I know I'm in the minority with that opinion.  Its a depressing show.  But I think it delivers on it's premise.  It's sort of a pulp noir with heavy exposition and a certain self awareness where the main characters are all shades of grey and broken in some manner.  While there might be 2 or 3 episodes where it seems like it's boring or nothing is happening, it ends up building to a climactic episode where it pays it off.  You could probably take 4 episodes out of the 12 and its almost like "quarterly" episodes with exposition episodes strung between them.  I really enjoyed it though, although I do more enjoy a happy ending.

HBO has two new series Im interested in coming:

Westworld

Vinyl - this one in particular, I am looking forward to as it's from Terrence Winters (Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire), Martin Scorsese & Mick Jagger.  And a really interesting cast including Bobby Cannavale, Ray Romano, Juno Temple, Jagger's son and many more...

• 3 weeks later...

Just found out the other day that Shomi is available without a TV subscription now. If you toss in your credit card, you can get a 1 month trial ($9/month after). Wife and I checked it out last night, doesn't have as much as netflix, but it has different stuff. 

We'll give it a shot and maybe keep it around if we can share it with her parents, as we have been using their netflix for a few years already......

Anyone catch Mr Robot? Only caught a couple of eps but it looks/feels like one of the best shows ever. Certainly the best thing USA channel has done.

I've been watching it. I loved the first half of the season but the rest of the season hasn't been as good in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

New X-Files trailers

Part I

https://youtu.be/kteho5bgxLI

Part II

https://youtu.be/v1K0e2Juvf0

Looks awesome.  And here's the trailer for The Revenant (Film), which has three things I love:

1) Period Piece

2) Based on a True Story

3) Leonardo Dicaprio

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone try any new Fall TV shows?

I gave that new hospital drama shot (cant even remember the name now... Code Black?  It was decent but not sure I was hooked.

There is a new comedy being compared to Modern Family as well, think its on Mondays.  Missed the premiere but caught the second episode.  Awful.

Blood & Oil looked good in a Dallas sort of way but I missed it (I guess, havent seen any commercials for awhile).

Returning shows, still enjoy Blue Bloods.  Comedies like Modern Family and Goldbergs are still good.  Law & Order SVU jumped the shark awhile back but I still watch as its occasionally good.

SPOILERS ahead

Fear the Walking Dead was disappointing to me.  Its well made and well acted.  But it doesnt really deliver on it's promise (or premise) to me.  The plan was to show the fall of civilization which I think its really glazed over.  They went from minor reports of a flu to widespread reports of a flu to everyone rioting in the streets to a giant gated community being built in a matter of days.  Military refers to "there are no superiors" several times and yet thats clearly not the case since they are still taking orders and there are evacuations to other military compounds.

Then they have pockets of soldiers abandoning their posts and ofcourse they are bullies.  I sort of tend to think soldiers would have a bit more sense of duty.  I guess some do and some dont but our cast is unlucky enough to always run into the bad ones.

And locking the dead inside the Stadium?  WTF.  Talk about bizarre.  And the "good guys" releasing them for a distraction?  So basically our good guys are vile murderers.  Then the mystery man takes them all back to his house on the ocean.  Nice of him.  Considering he refused to help anyone, it seems odd he'd be so willing to take a bunch of strangers with him.  And dont even get me started on his giant yacht bobbing about in the ocean.  And why was mystery man locked up anyway?

And the final scene was just an eye-roller in trying to blatantly tug on the heart strings.  Its just not how people would act.

I wanted to see how and why civilization fell.  Where's command and control?  Are you saying the President and Cabinet were eaten by zombies?  Come on... Show me that.

Looking forward to Walking Dead.  And then X Files cant come soon enough.

The new ones for us this year are Grandfathered with Stamos, The Grinder with Fred Savage and Rob Lowe, and The Muppets. None of 'em are absolutely killing it, but they're not bad and worthy of a spot on my PVR Schedule each week. 

Returning faves LnO: SVU, Criminal Minds, Nashville and SHIELD are performing about as expected. Big Bang Theory always has laughs, as do 22 Minutes and Mercer Report. That's pretty much the extent of our PVR Shedule for the week...