The TV Thread

I saw the first episode, debating watching the second.  Didn't catch my attention that much though. So far Les Revenants is looking far superior.

Have I forced True Detective down people's throats yet? 

Oh, and fml, Under the Dome is back and surprise, still terrible.

I wasnt sure about The Leftovers after Episode 1.  I just watched Episode 2 and while I am still not sure, I do feel suitably intrigued enough to keep watching.  For people that love mystery, its good.  its well made, well acted, interesting characters.  But Im a spoiler junky so its painful to wait for mysteries to reveal themselves.  if it was Network TV, Id likely not continue, but as a 10 episode HBO series?  Ill trust them.  I just hope Damon Lindelof doesnt ruin it like he ruined Lost and Star Trek.

True Detective was AMAZING.  I probably would have given up if my girlfriend didnt love it and Im glad I stuck with it.  It really became something special.  its all by itself as a truly unique and incredible show.  The show that made me a ful on TD believer was the Mogadishu episode.  Wow.  Incredible.

• 3 months later...

I can tell ya right now, Hemlock Grove isn't worth it.  Penny Dreadful isn't growing on me either.

Good call on Hemlock Grove, had to force myself to get to 6 episodes and from hearing how season 1 ends, I'm glad I gave up. Although a bunch of people are telling me that the second season is a lot better.

Penny Dreadful was decent I suppose, couldn't really get into it or hooked on it so gave up, but I will say that Eva Green is brilliant in it.

I'm surprised none of you mentioned Friday Night Lights on Netflix.  Other then season 2, I thought it was a great series.

Community was great for the first few seasons, now it just seems like it's turning to crap.

Loved How I Met Your Mother...until the last season, specifically the last episode...total let down.

Star Trek the Next Generation on Netflix WOOOOO YEAH!!!.....................................*looks around*........*crickets chirping*.....................Well I rewatched it so nyah!  :P

Orange is the New Black is too weird for me.  Watched a few episodes, they were good...but it was just too weird.

What I watch now on TV is a combo of what I like and what my wife likes:

- The Flash

- Gotham

- Scorpion

- Once Upon a Time

- The Big Bang Theory

- Blackish (this is a surprisingly funny show)

- Marvel's Agents of Shield

- Modern Family

- Brooklyn Nine Nine

- Bob's Burgers

- Star Wars Rebels (watch this with the kids)

I think that's it.  Which seems like a lot, but it sometimes takes us a couple of weeks just to get through 1 week.  Keeps us going over the weeks where there are reruns.

Boardwalk Empire is down to one episode and it's been tremendous this season.  Usually flashbacks are lame and a cheap way to use up time (especially in a final season where you'd want to focus on the "present" day characters) but the BE flashbacks are awesome.  The young guy they got to play Nucky is awesome.

On a side note, the showrunner of BE was a writer on Sopranos and those flashbacks were really good too.

Star Trek the Next Generation on Netflix WOOOOO YEAH!!!.....................................*looks around*........*crickets chirping*.....................Well I rewatched it so nyah!  :P

- The Flash

- Gotham

- The Big Bang Theory

Did you watch it on Netflix because it's your only way to watch it or because you wanted to watch it on Netflix in addition to watching it on regular TV, DVD and/or remastered blu-ray as well? 

I really like these series you mentioned. Add in Arrow, Grimm and Person of Interest. I'm looking forward to checking out Constantine on Friday.

I have True Blood on blu-ray but I'm behind. I bought season 6 as soon as it came out but then Charlaine Harris' final Sookie book came out and she absolutely destroyed the series. I will get season 7 when it comes out and eventually watch seasons 6 and 7 but I can't get into them yet.

I agree about Oz being a really disturbing but terrific series. And I agree about the naked men, Robyn (Chris Meloni... woozers!) I started watching it when it was first aired but had to take a break for a season after this one episode where one of the inmates had been given a muscle relaxant by the doctor and was returned to his cell. He couldn't move or communicate at all but was aware of what was happening when some other inmates got to his cell, doused him with lighter fluid and set him on fire. Another thing I found "weird" was watching Chris Meloni, B.D. Wong and J.K Simmons on Oz one night and then in the same week seeing them play very different types of characters (especially Meloni and Simmons) on SVU and Law & Order.

I'm going to try it when it replays this week. Didn't really interest me but I'll try it because it's HBO

Bought OZ and I'm so-so on it so far. The music is awful. The narrative is silly. It tries way to hard to be stylistic. It's at it's best when it's just a straight forward story about prison life.

That was a very disturbing series. Most disturbing when an inmate had both his eyes gouged out & it was graphically shown. The Farmers Guy was a mean SOB  Nazi.

I also like Bitten on Space because I'm a big Kelley Armstrong fan. I miss Blood Ties - it was a good series and I am a big fan of the Vicky Nelson series by Tanya Huff.

I was introduced to True Blood via the TV show. Then I tried to read the books. Awful. You really get the sense that Sookie is just the author living vicariously. Terrible terrible.

Not the best but far from the worst. I was reading the books before the series came out and agree the TV series was better. I kept reading because I'd gotten to the point where I had invested too much time reading them that I wanted to know how the series ended. Then the book series ended and it was appalling. I will admit I haven't had the stomach to read the final book and am basing my opinion on the spoilers and subsequent discussions by people who had. She pulled a bait and switch - after having Sookie with Eric for about 10 books, Eric gets sent to be the consort (ie powerless sex slave) to a Queen of another state, Bill becomes King of Louisiana (which she admits was a wink wink to the TV series) and Sookie ends up with boring Sam. 

The Farmers Guy was a mean SOB  Nazi.

The Farmers guy was J.K. Simmons. He played Dr. Skoda on Law & Order at the same time he was playing Vern Schillinger on Oz. 

I really enjoyed OZ, yeah it was disturbing but apparently, Prisons are actually very similar to what OZ portrayed.

i AGREE that it is odd seeing those guys from OZ on other shows, Vern being the most obvious, he's been in quite a few stuff and even on a few commercials, was a real son of a ***** on OZ. Beecher too, Might have actually been on Criminal Minds or CSI or even Law n Order too, playing a crack addicted bad guy.. Ended up getting killed on the show.. It was criminal minds now that i remember.

Honestly, Don't watch much TV right now..

When i do, I dunno why but... for the most part it's HGTV or Discovery.. Really like that Yukon Men show, it's quite good actually. Gold Rush is always fun to watch too.

Not really in to the Dramas or anything like that too much, Do enjoy the comedies like Modern Family and Big Bang tho but for the most part, Tv? Very rare these last few months. 

Fun fact about HGTV.. theres a show called "Tackle My Reno", the host? former CFL player Sebastien Clovis. 

- The Flash

- Gotham

- The Big Bang Theory

Did you watch it on Netflix because it's your only way to watch it or because you wanted to watch it on Netflix in addition to watching it on regular TV, DVD and/or remastered blu-ray as well? 

I really like these series you mentioned. Add in Arrow, Grimm and Person of Interest. I'm looking forward to checking out Constantine on Friday.

Well, there's always other ways of "getting" tv shows, but in this case since it was on Netflix I rewatched it there.  Plus I don't get any channel that has ST on it so...

I want to start watching Arrow, but I need to start from the beginning.  Wish they'd put it on Netflix already.  The US Netflix has it.

I also like Bitten on Space because I'm a big Kelley Armstrong fan. I miss Blood Ties - it was a good series and I am a big fan of the Vicky Nelson series by Tanya Huff.

I was introduced to True Blood via the TV show. Then I tried to read the books. Awful. You really get the sense that Sookie is just the author living vicariously. Terrible terrible.

Not the best but far from the worst. I was reading the books before the series came out and agree the TV series was better. I kept reading because I'd gotten to the point where I had invested too much time reading them that I wanted to know how the series ended. Then the book series ended and it was appalling. I will admit I haven't had the stomach to read the final book and am basing my opinion on the spoilers and subsequent discussions by people who had. She pulled a bait and switch - after having Sookie with Eric for about 10 books, Eric gets sent to be the consort (ie powerless sex slave) to a Queen of another state, Bill becomes King of Louisiana (which she admits was a wink wink to the TV series) and Sookie ends up with boring Sam. 

The Farmers Guy was a mean SOB  Nazi.

The Farmers guy was J.K. Simmons. He played Dr. Skoda on Law & Order at the same time he was playing Vern Schillinger on Oz. 

I actually assumed Sookie would end up with Sam.  When a series like that ends, you can never please everyone.  I wont spoil it for anyone who hasnt seen the True Blood finale but i thought it was pretty good over-all.

I never did finish the first season of Oz.  I found it just "ok".  Im not sure why.  I think it's very obviously an older series compared to todays slock production and I find the narrative of the one prisoner doing the intros etc a bit off-putting.  Maybe it's the cast I dont like either.  JK Simmons is always great ofcourse but Im not feeling the prison cast (other than that guy from the first season of SVU, always liked him).

Just started watching the new HBO (is it HBO?) series, The Affair.  Seems somewhat interesting so far with a good cast (including Joshua Jackson).

I generally cant stand Reality TV.  Survivor was my only one and I think i enjoyed it more because it was a competition so the "set ups" were built into the show.  Reality TV is just scripted garbage with non-actors.

For dramas:

The Blacklist (every so often I think the show is going to take a turn for the worse and it doesnt...very good show)

Dallas (sad to hear it was cancelled especially on a cliffhangar, though there is a movement afoot to save the show - while the show wasnt great, it was a guilty plesure but was never the same once Larry Hagman died)

SVU - still hanging on to this one even though they routinely get rid of the best characters.

Masters of Sex is really good too.  Good cast and I love period shows.

And ofcourse, BOARDWALK EMPIRE with one episode remaining in the series!

I have Gotham recorded but havent watched it yet.  Heard good things.

Comedies:

Modern Family is still pretty good.

Goldbergs is hilarious.

And aside from Jets/Bombers games, I love Dateline.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Walking Dead had it's mid-season finale this past weekend and AMC p!ssed off its fans and had to apologize.  I find it very interesting.

After the show had aired on the east coast, AMC posted to "social media" (The CNN article didnt specify where but Im sure I saw it on Twitter) an image showing a character with the tag RIP, spoilering which major character died.  There was apparent outrage because the rest of North America had not seen the episode and AMC had to apologize.

So my question is, if you absolutely want to avoid spoilers, why are you on social media an hour before the episode airs?

Im a spoiler junkie though I try to avoid spoilers about TV shows that close to airing but I caught the image on twitter before I watched the episode and while I was suitably shocked, I wasnt angry.  It probably made me less angry than I would have been had I not been spoilered as I did not like them killing that character.

Regardless, the episode drew over 14 million viewers.

"George Gently" is an outstanding British detective series set in the sixties. flawed characters, interesting plots, good cinematography and settings, and very good acting.

it's on netflix.

another good one not one netflix is whitechappel. 

I think I've had my absolute fill of zombie/vampire/werewolf movies, and tv shows. except…. the comedy "zombieland" with woody harrelson. very funny.

looks like a good one.

also Robynjt, do not miss 

"Broadchurch" 

thoroughly brilliant, completely depressing detective story starring David Tennant.

My wife, an aficionado of detective novels and tv, really likes "the killing" which is on netflix, although again, she stopped watching cause it was so depressing.

I've seen some of it, very good acting.