The TV Thread

The West Wing is now on netflix. If you like House of Cards (which is excellent) you might like WW. Very good acting and broader stories than HoC.

I'll reiterate my love for Californication if you want a comedy series.

Going back a few years, Quantum Leap is/was on netflix. I haven't watched too many recently but that was a heck of a show (especially later seasons) and showed what a strong actor Scott Bakula is (despite his poor performance on Enterprise).

I completed the second season of Orange is the New Black last night.  FANTASTIC season.  The final episode is 90 minutes.  Very emotional.  A couple of weaker moments but its really finding its groove in balancing drama and humour.

My favourite character is Pennsatucky.  Taryn Manning deserves an Emmy.  She's tremendous.  Cant believe we have to wait a year for season three.

Next stop: True Blood, the final season.

I watch a lot of PBS and one of my favorites on there just finished up its second season is Mr. Selfridge. Some of the best acting and character development I have seen in a while. Jeremy Piven as Harry Selfridge is absolutely brilliants such a different character than he played on Entourage, think it suits him more actually.

One show that never gets a lot of talk that is on HBO is The Newsroom. Its great a series are able to work in really life headlines and big stories from the world of news into the series. Also has a really good cast led by Jeff Daniels.

Love house of cards. I'm lucky enough to have not watched the first season until recently. So I got to binge on both seasons. I can't say I'm happy about some of their casting decisions but it's a hell of a show.

Orange reportedly has more viewers

And here's a good rumour. Netflix has a lot of Star Trek content. Apparently trek is among their highest viewed. Netflix reached out to cbs about producing a new series. Fingers crossed.

My girlfriend has been watching Orange is the New Black and I've been thinking about getting into it. Seems like my kind of show.

Last couple of series I watched were Sons of Anarchy (twice) and I actually went and downloaded Oz too, even though it's old. Stuff like Game of Thrones isn't for me, I'm not a big fantasy fan.

Oz was such a bad ass tv show. One of the most violent ever on television. I watched nearly every episode. You had the Neo Nazi White Supremacists,  the Whites, Latinos & Black gangs in the prison who were always trying to kill each other off. I remember a scene where an inmate got revenge on another by cutting both his eyes out. They brought the poor bastard into the infirmary.The inmate was screaming. He had blood gushing out of his head & two holes where his eyes used to be. I remember going "Holy ****!!"

House of Cards took me a few episodes to get into.  I found the narrative style with the lead breaking the fourth wall to be a bit unusual and jarring.  But I came to really appreciate this.  it's a unique way to let us into the mind of the character and helps keep the viewer engaged as part of the "trip" of the plot.

I think i might order Season One of Oz and give it a try.

House of Cards took me a few episodes to get into.  I found the narrative style with the lead breaking the fourth wall to be a bit unusual and jarring.  But I came to really appreciate this.  it's a unique way to let us into the mind of the character and helps keep the viewer engaged as part of the "trip" of the plot.

I think i might order Season One of Oz and give it a try.

Oz was a great show but I found it disturbing to watch. Very intense. Even though I saw just about every episode, I don't think I could ever watch it again. That is how  intense it was for me. 

Downton Abbey, Bob's Burgers, Game of Thrones, Sleepy Hollow, Archer, Les Revenants, Sons of Anarchy, Modern Family, Vikings, Banshee, Hannibal, Orphan Black.

Want to check out, Penny Dreadful, The Last Ship, The Strain, Hemlock Grove, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Rectify.

Downton Abbey, Bob's Burgers, Game of Thrones, Sleepy Hollow, Archer, Les Revenants, Sons of Anarchy, Modern Family, Vikings, Banshee, Hannibal, Orphan Black.

Want to check out, Penny Dreadful, The Last Ship, The Strain, Hemlock Grove, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Rectify.

I can tell ya right now, Hemlock Grove isn't worth it.  Penny Dreadful isn't growing on me either.

Two amazing BBC shows that I believe are on Netflix are "The Fall" and "Luther".

Not on Netflix, but "In the Flesh" is fantastic as well. 

I can tell ya right now, Hemlock Grove isn't worth it.  Penny Dreadful isn't growing on me either.

Two amazing BBC shows that I believe are on Netflix are "The Fall" and "Luther".

Not on Netflix, but "In the Flesh" is fantastic as well. 

I've seen a few episodes of Luther and IMO it's very well done, similar quality to Damages.

Haven't heard of "The Fall" so I'll have to see what that's about.

"In the Flesh" is another one I'll have to check out, saw the promos over on the space channel, but I get the feeling I'll compare it to "Les Revenants", which wouldn't be a good thing for "in the Flesh".

I don't have Netflix, I just watch everything online for free.

I'm a huge user of Icefilms... I just use the plugin but a friend keeps trying to sell me on XBMC.  But if isn't broke.. why fix it.

I never watched Les Revenants, however a friend highly recommended The Returned to me, which is I guess the remake of it? Edit - I guess it's the same thing, different name.  Hmm.

Hate to admit I havent seen most of those.  Im not a huge TV guy.  I was actually right out of TV watching until I got a PVR.  That made it easier.

My can't miss: Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Californication, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, Modern Family, The Mindy Show, The good Wife, Blue Bloods (VERY GOOD), The Goldbergs

Try not to Miss: Law & Order SVU, The New Girl (its slipping off my radar), 24 (never a big fan but enjoying this season),

Watch occasionally or when it looks good: RAW, Dateline, Pawn Stars,

And ofcourse Bombers/Jets.

Didnt like Hemlock Grove.  Was an avid watcher of Y&R since I was 15 years old but its dangerously close to being deleted from my PVR's Series Recordings.  Every year I usually give a few new shows a try and the ones I like always get cancelled.

I'm a huge user of Icefilms... I just use the plugin but a friend keeps trying to sell me on XBMC.  But if isn't broke.. why fix it.

I never watched Les Revenants, however a friend highly recommended The Returned to me, which is I guess the remake of it? Edit - I guess it's the same thing, different name.  Hmm.

Les Revenants is the original release and french name for "The Returned". I thought it was very well done, a lot of people I know weren't crazy about the fact that it didn't give answers to questions or closure, but that didn't bother me at all, especially when you consider they're making the second season now, which is suppose to go deeper into the mythology . It's not a typical or cliched zombie movie/show, very unique IMO. It's not for everyone though, some of my friends thought it was too "slow".

Every year I usually give a few new shows a try and the ones I like always get cancelled.

There's quite a lot of new shows coming out this summer (stuff like The Strain, The Last Ship, Legends, Manhattan, The Leftovers) and for the fall season.

Slideshow for all the new Fall network programs http://tvline.com/gallery/fall-tv-preview-your-guide-to-whats-new/#!2/a-to-z/

Most of the trailers are up on youtube.

My work is divided on orange is the new black, half say it's great the other half say its god awful.

Is it geared for women? The previews make it look like it is.

Netflix doesn't release it's ratings but they admitted the ratings for Orange skew younger and more female whereas House of Cards skews older and male. Makes sense.

I will say this. The majority of roles are women and minorities at that. It's ground breaking in many ways. It's a great combination of drama and comedy. No matter what you think, watch at least half the first season. I wasn't hooked til probably the fourth episode. Eventually you really come to be interested in the characters.

As season one progresses Taryn Manning's role expands and she's tremendous. Orange could be the best show on TV right now.