The TV Thread

27 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I think the worst thing about DISCO is that it's become a giant love in. Where's the angry Stamets from season 1? 

Least that's plausible compared to the turbolift caverns on that ship.

Stamets has grown and changed. His character has evolved given EVERYTHING he's been through over 3 to 4 seasons. They all have. 

I like Disco for what it is. I just wish their mission was to discover new things, not fly around and make-up with old friends. We've gone this far in the future and all we get is personal transporters and what else??

Edited by JCon

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I think the worst thing about DISCO is that it's become a giant love in. Where's the angry Stamets from season 1? 

Least that's plausible compared to the turbolift caverns on that ship.

That's part of the lousy writing. The missions always take a distant second place to who is swapping bodily fluids with whom. And that is only a small example of the crappy and lazy writing and directing. I am about ready to swear it off.

On 2022-01-18 at 4:26 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I tolerate Disco, I hated Picard. SNW has to be good right?

I don't like Discovery. It's become the Sonequa Martin-Green Show as her character Michael Burnham is in every scene. The premise of Discovery was supposed to be from a bridge officer who wasn't the Captain. So, what happens? She becomes Captain. Instead of Saru who as Captain would have made for some interesting scenarios. The season long arcs the series uses doesn't work. Especially with a 6 week hiatus. It would be much better if it was an episodic series. More storylines & character development would happen.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't like Discovery. It's become the Sonequa Martin-Green Show as her character Michael Burnham is in every scene. The premise of Discovery was supposed to be from a bridge officer who wasn't the Captain. So, what happens? She becomes Captain. Instead of Saru who as Captain would have made for some interesting scenarios. The season long arcs the series uses doesn't work. Especially with a 6 week hiatus. It would be much better if it was an episodic series. More storylines & character development would happen.

With Captain Burnham dripping empathy in almost every scene, muddled storylines, and an endless focus on who is sleeping with whom,  the series ought to be euthanized. The only reasons the series is surviving is nostalgia and nothing better to replace it.

16 minutes ago, Tracker said:

With Captain Burnham dripping empathy in almost every scene, muddled storylines, and an endless focus on who is sleeping with whom,  the series ought to be euthanized. The only reasons the series is surviving is nostalgia and nothing better to replace it.

This season rivals S1 for badness but at least S1 was watchable bad. I'm not even sure what the subplot is. There has to be one since they rarely are attacking the main problem at hand.

Speaking of bad...The Expanse final season. Not sure if bad or sad?

star-lord-bit-of-both.gif

8 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

This season rivals S1 for badness but at least S1 was watchable bad. I'm not even sure what the subplot is. There has to be one since they rarely are attacking the main problem at hand.

Speaking of bad...The Expanse final season. Not sure if bad or sad?

star-lord-bit-of-both.gif

In Season 1 they took the Klingons & totally screwed up their look & culture into something I don't know what they became. The reason they did it it was simply because they could. They screwed up so bad that the writers had to take Discovery a thousand years into the future so they couldn't screw up anymore. It's just a lousy series with lousy writing. Hard to follow & understand season long arcs & (I know I'm going to catch heat for this) virtue signalling. 

Just want to add that Discovery turned the Klingons more into disfigured monsters than warriors. Disregarded all the storylines from  previous Star Trek series, like TNG & especially DS9 went through introducing us to the history & culture of the Klingons through Worf, Kang, Martok, The Duras Family & Gowron. Threw away half a century of Canon.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we never see Klingons anymore even in the future because of the blowback from fans unhappy with the changes.... even the way they talk... on Discovery.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2022-01-19 at 10:59 AM, Tracker said:

Of all the recent Star Trek spin-offs, Discovery is currently the worst, The captain, who is supposed to lead, is emoting all over the place (although this season she is not crying in every episode) and the writing is just terrible.  

I must be lost....are you talking bout Cody Fajardo here???  Sure sounds like you're talking about Cody Fajardo in some kind of Star Trek spoof.....

While I'm lost, two high recommendations "The Righteous Gemstones" just released season two, this show is kick-ass hilarious.  Also "The Great" a British "anti-historical" satirical, comedic drama on the life of Catherine the Great, Empress of All Russia and her marriage to Emperor Peter III, focusing on the plot to kill her depraved and dangerous husband.  Sounds dull, but it's very well done and quite funny, well worth watching.  Plus Elle Fanning is on the screen 90% of the time....can't beat that.

Edited by Fatty Liver

it's a shame this show is under syndicated these days (but then again most of the sitcoms that reran on tvtropolis are under syndicated)

https://tvline.com/lists/that-70s-show-reboot-eric-donna-daughter-cast-photos/

Wilmer Valderama might not participate because of NCIS and Zorro, and there's no way in hell we'll see Hyde again (I wonder how they'll acknowledge his absence)

Edited by iHeart

10 minutes ago, iHeart said:

it's a shame this show is under syndicated these days (but then again most of the sitcoms that reran on tvtropolis are under syndicated)

https://tvline.com/lists/that-70s-show-reboot-eric-donna-daughter-cast-photos/

Wilmer Valderama might not participate because of NCIS and Zorro, and there's no way in hell we'll see Hyde again (I wonder how they'll acknowledge his absence)

Should really be called That 70s Show sequel

42 minutes ago, iHeart said:

Bill Nighy has joined the Showtime drama The Man Who Fell to Earth as Thomas Newton, the first alien to arrive on Earth over 40 years ago. David Bowie played the role in the film version of Walter Tevis’ novel.