The TV Thread

It's not Cancel Culture... It's Consequences. People are being held to a higher standard now than previously and I think that's a good thing. I could never run for office because of all the awful things I've said when I was in my teens and early 20s...

55 minutes ago, Tracker said:

It doesn't work that way. We are all acountable for what we have said and done, particularly when it bears on our employment.

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's not Cancel Culture... It's Consequences. People are being held to a higher standard now than previously and I think that's a good thing. I could never run for office because of all the awful things I've said when I was in my teens and early 20s...

Part of the problem is that beyond different standards of what is acceptable, everything is more public now. And a lot of the judging can come from those who have done or said the same, but have the luxury of anonymity to cast stones because they themselves are not in line for the high profile position, or they came from an era where not everything ended up on social media and now are judging others on a different standard than they held themselves to back in the day. 

Trudeau wearing an Aladdin costume at a Halloween party with make up to make him darker twenty years ago is in poor taste, but likely was not viewed in as bad a light in the year 2001 compared to 202-, even though blackface has been offensive since the turn of last century. But I am certain his intent was not to offend. And if he was just another 20 year old back then now working at a bank today in his mid-40’swould it be an issue, or do people pounce because it is opportunistic to go after a big name (especially if you want to take a shot at someone whose politics don’t align with yours)?  

I went to a Halloween party once as part of a Jackson 5 costume in the mid-80’s, and had no intent to offend or disrespect the African-American culture or struggles. I am much more educated on the issue now and would not wear the costume today, but am I to be held accountable for something I did out of pure ignorance as a gag 35 years ago? Should Robert Downey Jr. be blacklisted (and how offensive is THAT phrase?) for his role in Tropic Thunder in what was clearly satire aimed at skewering self important actors, the studio system, and the lack of diversity in hiring practices as much as celebrating the era of blackface. Should Eddie Murphy be equally castigated for his “White Like Me” SNL parody? And in a bit of telling irony, the night I wore my Halloween outfit, on the way to the party with my buddies we were stopped by the WPS and spot checked with no apparent driving infractions. Once they realized we were a bunch of white guys in costume they quickly let us go with no licence check or even explanation for why we were stopped in the first place. Only time I have ever been pulled over by the police without cause is when I appeared to be black. So what is more offensive, our insensitive costumes, or the treatment we received at the hands of the police for the few moments they thought we weren’t white?

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

Unless it's on record no one cares what you said. Everyone has told a joke or said something they regret. It's human nature. I sure wouldn't hold anything against you. 

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

This is true for the majority of people though.  This is human nature.  All of us have said and done stupid things in our 20s but it never used to be on social media forever.  

“Cancelling” for something you said or did 20 years ago means as a society we no longer allow people to grow or learn. And that is sad because that should be what life is about. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Unless it's on record no one cares what you said. Everyone has told a joke or said something they regret. It's human nature. I sure wouldn't hold anything against you. 

Again, the problem is that “the record” is a slippery slope with today’s technology. Trudeau’s brown face was a snapshot at a party, hardly a formal definition of “the record” like Hansard in the Parliament, but he was pounced on nonetheless. With video surveillance and smartphone cameras today, we basically need to presume that every single thing we do do is “on the record” now, whether we intend it to be or not. This fact requires people to self-regulate better and decide en masse to the same standard what is unintentional and what is truly offensive. As humans as a species have been shown to be woefully inadequate at that skill, and opportunistic when it comes to selective outrage depending on the target. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

13 hours ago, Noeller said:

What if  your current employment found a post you made calling Rider fans inbred or marrying cousins and then fired you for that.   You would accept losing your job because of a consequence of your action?  

It's absolutely ridiculous that this guy gets fired,  jeeze more then half of Hollywood would be fired for past actions which would be far worse then what Mike Richards said.     

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

What if  your current employment found a post you made calling Rider fans inbred or marrying cousins and then fired you for that.   You would accept losing your job because of a consequence of your action?   

100%.....I've come to terms with it. I am who I am, and I've said what I've said. If it comes back to bite me, then I'll own it. 

23 hours ago, iHeart said:

well that's a  bummer here, but at least the show got the series finale it never got in it's original run

https://tvline.com/2021/08/19/punky-brewster-cancelled-season-2-peacock/

I think it was euthanasia- putting a badly wounded creature out of its misery. When the reboot was announced, the lead actor went on a PR junket explaining how difficult life was for her in the original series. My heart went out to her. Not.

Edited by Tracker

Actor William Petersen was hospitalized after a health scare on the set of CSI: Las Vegas on Friday. Petersen had said he felt ill before asking for a break, his rep told TMZ. An ambulance was called on the actor’s behalf and he was taken to a medical facility. It’s possible that Petersen overexerted himself, as his reps say he’s been working long hours for the past few weeks. For now, Petersen is out of the hospital. It’s unknown when he’ll return to work.

12 hours ago, iHeart said:

https://tvline.com/2021/08/23/mayim-bialik-returns-jeopardy-host-replaces-mike-richards/

god I hope she's already filmed a good chunk of Call Me Cat season 2 (set to debut mid season) otherwise she's going to be called back alot

Everything is filmed in blocks with Jeopardy. They film a few months, I think, over just a couple of days. 

On 2021-08-20 at 8:55 AM, Brandon said:

It's absolutely ridiculous that this guy gets fired,  jeeze more then half of Hollywood would be fired for past actions which would be far worse then what Mike Richards said.     

black celebrities are fiven a free pass these days. not sure why.

example

"It is hard to give Ice Cube the benefit of the doubt given the fact that his anti-Semitic activities have extended beyond the realm of the internet. He’s an ardent supporter of Louis Farrakhan, one of the world’s most prominent anti-Semites, and, most troubling of all, the rapper and actor was accused in May 2015 of ordering his entourage to beat up a rabbi."

desean jackson, quotes hitler. nada.