The TV Thread

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Not sure if you liked StumpTown or Cobie Smulders 🤔

This feels like a CBS or TBS pickup.

While I'm a MASSIVE fan of HIMYM, I've never been a big Smulders guy. Actually it's the fella that owns the food truck that is the highlight of the show. Hilarious. Also super progressive show, which I dig. 

On 2020-09-16 at 7:02 PM, iHeart said:

And from the other side of the discussion, I initially liked Stumptown but then the Cobie Smulders character gets into lesbian sex & was bi sexual. That started playing more into the storylines & I just. went. click. Stopped watching it in December. I wondered what does the sex thing have to do with a privaye eye series other than Dex was one totally ****** up woman?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And from the other side of the discussion, I initially liked Stumptown but then the Cobie Smulders character gets into lesbian sex & was bi sexual. That started playing more into the storylines & I just. went. click. Stopped watching it in December. I wondered what does the sex thing have to do with a privaye eye series other than Dex was one totally ****** up woman?

I absolutely LOVED that they made it such a progressive show and made Dex a complex person. That's what the world looks like now, and it's nice to see an accurate depiction of someone. 

57 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I really wanted to like that show... Lord knows I'm as patriotic as anyone and Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara are comedy royalty..... But I can't for the life of me figure out why people think it's funny. Just couldn't figure it out... 

The mayor - eats waffles with fried chicken (extra skin). 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I really wanted to like that show... Lord knows I'm as patriotic as anyone and Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara are comedy royalty..... But I can't for the life of me figure out why people think it's funny. Just couldn't figure it out... 

Have you heard her pronounce the word baby?

18 hours ago, Noeller said:

How much of it did you watch?  It took my wife 3 tries to get into it and once she did, she absolutely loved it. 

It didn't seem like my kind of show so I didn't watch it with her but I still found myself laughing once in a while just catching something in passing without even really paying attention.  My wife wants to watch it again so I may give it a shot this time.

10 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

How much of it did you watch?  It took my wife 3 tries to get into it and once she did, she absolutely loved it. 

It didn't seem like my kind of show so I didn't watch it with her but I still found myself laughing once in a while just catching something in passing without even really paying attention.  My wife wants to watch it again so I may give it a shot this time.

I watched two episodes and went "What in the actual f*** is this?"..... I expected something very different. It's not really my kind of funny. It's more like those "A Mighty Wind" and "Best In Show" -type movies that Levy/Ohara/Willard, etc were involved in. They call them comedies, but......I dunno. Just don't get it. 

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

I watched two episodes and went "What in the actual f*** is this?"..... I expected something very different. It's not really my kind of funny. It's more like those "A Mighty Wind" and "Best In Show" -type movies that Levy/Ohara/Willard, etc were involved in. They call them comedies, but......I dunno. Just don't get it. 

Yeah it took them a bit to find their groove and they acknowledge as much.  If my wife does a re-watch, I'll try to stick it out until at least the end of season 2 and then see how I feel.

On 2019-10-02 at 3:25 PM, Noeller said:

It was good......not great. Stopped too soon. Spent too much time detailing certain things, and not enough time on others. George Strait...the king of country music.....gets only a brief mention. Yaaaaaaa, I dunno.....but it was good. 

I'm digging this up... I started watching this last fall, when it came out on Kanopy but, apparently, it was there in error as the Libraries had not paid for it. Anyhow, I got into the fourth episode and it cut off. They've finally brought it back and I will finish the eighth and final episode tonight. 

I can't believe what a short shrift Strait got. He was barely mentioned, despite squeezing in that he's managed to have 60 number one hits. I can't believe it. There was an extremely important window that they rushed through. 

Also, there isn't much time left, less than an hour, and they've just "discovered" Garth Brooks at the Bluebird. 

IMO, they should have had an episode that dealt strictly with the 80s decline and rebirth and then a separate that dealt with Brooks, Gill, etc, etc. 

They have to cut it off at some point but they could have added four hours, easily. It feels rushed and cut off. Alternatively, they could have kept it at 16 hours and stopped after the mid-80s, then revisit and finish it properly in a few years. 

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm digging this up... I started watching this last fall, when it came out on Kanopy but, apparently, it was there in error as the Libraries had not paid for it. Anyhow, I got into the fourth episode and it cut off. They've finally brought it back and I will finish the eighth and final episode tonight. 

I can't believe what a short shrift Strait got. He was barely mentioned, despite squeezing in that he's managed to have 60 number one hits. I can't believe it. There was an extremely important window that they rushed through. 

Also, there isn't much time left, less than an hour, and they've just "discovered" Garth Brooks at the Bluebird. 

IMO, they should have had an episode that dealt strictly with the 80s decline and rebirth and then a separate that dealt with Brooks, Gill, etc, etc. 

They have to cut it off at some point but they could have added four hours, easily. It feels rushed and cut off. Alternatively, they could have kept it at 16 hours and stopped after the mid-80s, then revisit and finish it properly in a few years. 

What you'll find is that they really needed another episode, and hopefully that does come one day. It's very unfortunate how the 90s weren't really mentioned, despite being one of the most important eras in the genres history. Burns really had a hard-on for the early 80s stuff with Roseann Cash, Rodney Crowell, etc..... that got way more mention than it should have, IMO.