The TV Thread

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I have no such fear, really looking forward to their take on modern times, hopefully they don't just regurgitate their past success like Monty Python chose to.   Such a pitiful output for their immense talent, mostly caused by their failure to find consensus on almost any projects for decades, now it's too late.  

I don;t know about that. They got 3 films in, 2 of which are considered classics.

so here's a little scorecard of all the shows who's production is effected because of the virus

https://tvline.com/gallery/coronavirus-tv-shows-delayed-list-photos/?ref=https://tvline.com/2020/03/17/tv-shows-coronavirus-list-cancelled-delayed/

thank god the Masked Singer's pre-taped. Also I have a feeling that any Whose Lines that air this year on the CW are going to be "left overs"

Edited by iHeart

I just finished watching the mini series from 1999, the Tom Hanks produced From The Earth To The Moon on Crave. Really enjoyed the story of how we got to the lunar surface. I lived through all that. Most of those brave Apollo astronauts are gone now. The survivors are in their mid 80's to early 90's. I never thought that it would be half a century later & we've never gone back. Upon thinking back, I truly believed that there would have been a settlement on the moon by now. 

from-the-earth-to-the-moon-movie-poster-1998-1020474194.jpg

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I just finished watching the mini series from 1999, the Tom Hanks produced From The Earth To The Moon on Crave. Really enjoyed the story of how we got to the lunar surface. I lived through all that. Most of those brave Apollo astronauts are gone now. The survivors are in their mid 80's to early 90's. I never thought that it would be half a century later & we've never gone back. Upon thinking back, I truly believed that there would have been a settlement on the moon by now. 

is Michael Collins still alive?

4 hours ago, iHeart said:

is Michael Collins still alive?

Yes, he is. To anyone who does not know, Collins was the Command Module Pilot who orbited the Moon while Neil Armstrong was Mission Commander & Buzz Aldrin was the Lunar Module Pilot* (although Armstrong flew the LEM down & back to the Command Module) did all the fun stuff on the lunar surface.

I'm sure Aldrin couldn't have been happy how they portrayed him in the series compared to Armstrong who was shown to be strong & calm always. Aldrin was portrayed as jealous of Armstrong as he wanted to be the first to walk on the moon. So jealous that he complained to the real higher ups at NASA claiming the indecision to pick who walks first was creating dissension among the 3 man crew. If there was dissension among the 3 astronauts, it was never shown.

So an annoyed Deke Slayton,  the Director Of Flight Crew Operations acting upon orders from above called Aldrin & Armstrong into his office  & made the decision in a 2 minute meeting to have Armstrong be the first out of the LEM & onto the lunar surface pointing out that Armstrong was the Mission Commander & should go first.

Aldrin complained loudly to all that could hear about Armstrong's piloting skills when during a simulation he didn't act quickly enough to abort a landing when the Abort Alarm went off in the LEM & they crashed. He felt Armastrong was indecisive & slow to react.

Aldrin is a very religious man & demanded he be allowed to do a religious Catholic communion ceremony upon landing. He apparently cleared it with Chris Craft who was Head of Mission Control but never mentioned it to Armstrong until he did it. They showed Armstrong surprised at what Aldrin was doing but never said no. 

As far as crashing the LEM in the simulation, he firmly told Armstrong that crashing was the only way to learn to be a better pilot (after he heard him complaining to Collins about the incident). He told Aldrin that he crashed deliberately to see how long the reaction time would be for Mission Control from the time the alarm went off  to abort the landing to getting an actual order to do so & it never came. He felt that at sometime during the mission he may be forced to make a decision on his own in an emergency so he wanted to be ready in his mind to take over.  He wanted to know how fast or slow an order would come. He advised Aldrin to stop making an issue about it as his complaints would get back to Craft & that he already had enough problems to deal with. 

Now that Neil Armstrong is dead, Buzz Aldrin is perhaps the most famous Apollo astronaut left alive. Was he not a total team player? Maybe a bit self centred yearning for the spotlight? Who knows? They did get to the moon, walk on the surface, collect rock samples & get back to the Earth alive. I guess it proves the 2 astronauts didn't have to like each other or be close friends to be able to work together as is true in all situations. How many of us don't like some of our co workers yet still work with them everyday?

* None of the Lunar Module Pilots on the Apollo missions ever were assigned to fly the LEM. Only the Commanders did. So, even though they had the title of Pilot, they weren't actually piloting the craft. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

from-the-earth-to-the-moon-movie-poster-1998-1020474194.jpg

Oh? So you thought the USA went to the moon? You're one of those people ;)

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Oh? So you thought the USA went to the moon? You're one of those people ;)

Yeah, so you think that they didn't? I know you're kidding but think about the people who think the moon landings were done at a movie lot in Hollywood. To them I say that I guess Columbus sailed over the edge of the Earth & floated off into space. Or Marco Polo went to his local Chinese food restaurant too? The guy that built that rocket to prove the Earth was flat & died trying? I hope one of the last things he saw was the curvature of the Earth as he plummeted down to his demise. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/netflix-reduces-video-quality-in-canada-to-lower-internet-bandwidth-use-1.4869993

In case you missed it in Covid thread....are they gonna reduce our cost to standard definition as well? :D

According to the story, you'll still get the quality you pay for.  ie. Ill still get 4k just at reduced bandwidth.  Perhaps a techie can explain it...lol

Its interesting because it shows you that as an advanced nation, in the time of crises we still have to take steps to preserve communications.  I work for a telecom that quickly instructed staff not to use 800 numbers and restricted the amount of people that could take part in a conference call because of the demands on the 800 system.  Fascinating.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

According to the story, you'll still get the quality you pay for.  ie. Ill still get 4k just at reduced bandwidth.  Perhaps a techie can explain it...lol

They are lowering the bitrate,   for a non technical example.....     the resolution will still be at 4k... however everything will look a bit more muddy and less sharp.   Think video games .... it would be like going from a PS4 down to a PS3 level of visuals or maybe Blu-Ray down to DVD quality with upscaling. 

IMO most people won't notice a big difference ,   but for the people with crazy set ups and who are really anal on how sharp and clear everything is will notice it.   

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

They are lowering the bitrate,   for a non technical example.....     the resolution will still be at 4k... however everything will look a bit more muddy and less sharp.   Think video games .... it would be like going from a PS4 down to a PS3 level of visuals or maybe Blu-Ray down to DVD quality with upscaling. 

IMO most people won't notice a big difference ,   but for the people with crazy set ups and who are really anal on how sharp and clear everything is will notice it.   

Let's put it in ways MBB folks will understand. You know how you go to download the latest movie and they have 1080p in 1.5GB, 3GB, 7GB and 15GB sizes? Netflix dropping it down to 3GB :)

22 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Let's put it in ways MBB folks will understand. You know how you go to download the latest movie and they have 1080p in 1.5GB, 3GB, 7GB and 15GB sizes? Netflix dropping it down to 3GB :)

Let's put this in a way that MBB folks can truly understand... Do you what's it like when you've been watching the news for past three hours in favourite comfy chair? Then, you take off your glasses, realize they're filthy and wipe them off? Well, they're going from your clean glasses back to your filthy glasses. 

47 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Not to be that guy... but usually for movie sizes it's the audio that bloats up the file size so when you download at stereo it's 1.5 GB and at 15 GB it's usually multi language and 7.2 surround... :)