The TV Thread

36 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Amazon announced they hit 150 million subs for prime and had a particularly strong 4th quarter. 

Netflix is 167 million subs and I believe I read they actually increased since Disney was launched.  

Pretty crazy.  

I'm wondering when Disney Plus released if a lot of families cut cable and ended up going with the Netflix / Disney Plus combo instead...

44 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'm wondering when Disney Plus released if a lot of families cut cable and ended up going with the Netflix / Disney Plus combo instead...

I think this is very possible.  The period where people wanted to cut cable due to expense was a short one.  The only thing changing is how we watch not what we pay.  And I think streaming represents more obvious value to people.  

It’s possible Disney coming made some people cut cable but then spend that money on more streaming.   Disney. Netflix.  Amazon. Etc. 

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Depends on dividual. If you watch a lot of TV you can't cut cable TV. Even if you hate cable tv but you watch the Jets, you need a sub.

I know A LOT of non tech people who are streaming these days with android boxes.  

A lot of my casual tech friends simply stream all sports these days.  Sometimes the streams online are better then the ones you pay for!  

I don't think I'll ever cut cable. I enjoy the ease and convenience of my PVR and I have yet to find consistency with my KODI. There always seems to be glitches. All the various streaming services also seem to be expensive. We have Netflix and bought a year of Disney just to try it out... Neither we use very often, especially compared to our cable. 

32 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't think I'll ever cut cable. I enjoy the ease and convenience of my PVR and I have yet to find consistency with my KODI. There always seems to be glitches. All the various streaming services also seem to be expensive. We have Netflix and bought a year of Disney just to try it out... Neither we use very often, especially compared to our cable. 

Yeah steaming for me is mostly what I watch when nothing else is on.  That might change as they add more original programming.   Or if we can watch network programming on streaming. 

Eventually you’ll be able to call Shaw or MTS and add a streaming bundle and get all the various services.  

I'm finally cutting the cable (wife insisted on keeping it for this long)  66 dollars for basic cable + pvr + 2 boxes per month.... that doesn't even include the cost of adding TSN.   Absolutely ridiculous pricing.    It's annoying to continually call them to ask for discounts to make that price palatable. 

For me,  I rarely watch TV shows because of the children,  I found Kodi to be super reliable and worst case scenario bit torrents always work.     

Sporting events are ALL online and stream so darn smooth.    CBC is free online and CTV can be streamed online also with ease.    Really no reason to stick with the cable.   

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Eventually you’ll be able to call Shaw or MTS and add a streaming bundle and get all the various services.  

This is what I want to see. Just let me get those streaming things within my existing cable. Access to everything in one place... 

I don't see it happening at all.   No money in it at all for Shaw/MTS , Netflix won't give them any sort of discount.   Why would Netflix want to do business with them when nearly every electronic device connected to your tv/internet already has the Netflix app installed on them?

Maybe with some of the lesser streaming services they'll be interested... but the big ones have zero benefit with joining with a cable provider.  

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't see it happening at all.   No money in it at all for Shaw/MTS , Netflix won't give them any sort of discount.   Why would Netflix want to do business with them when nearly every electronic device connected to your tv/internet already has the Netflix app installed on them?

Maybe with some of the lesser streaming services they'll be interested... but the big ones have zero benefit with joining with a cable provider.  

Actually MTS already has Netflix as a terrestrial channel option.  It spiked tv installs. 

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Actually MTS already has Netflix as a terrestrial channel option.  It spiked tv installs. 

Yes but that isn't for the mass market though.

As every where *gradually* upgrades to high speed network ,  more and more people will cut the cable.  I suppose MTS could make up for the loss by increasing the internet package prices.  

Just now, Brandon said:

Yes but that isn't for the mass market though.

As every where *gradually* upgrades to high speed network ,  more and more people will cut the cable.  I suppose MTS could make up for the loss by increasing the internet package prices.  

Well it’s for the mass market that subscribes to MTS.  I think they’ll be bundled.  The benefit to the streaming service is ease of use and promoting directly to cable customers.  Not every streaming service has an app. 

Prime does this too. They act as a hub or gateway to other streaming services.  

MTS may bundle it... but I think the trend will still continue with a massive amount of people cutting the cable service.    

Most devices are very user friendly, can stream most apps,  can self update and are helluva a lot cheaper.  

From my circle of friends/co-workers I think the ones who have kept cable are mostly doing it for sports.  Now that streaming online has improved so much in the last year or so.... if TSN ever decides to focus on streaming... it'll really hurt the providers.   

I remember at one point it was said that land line phones will never fade away....  now I can't think of any of my friends who has a land line.  Even some businesses are going purely cell.....

On 2020-02-02 at 8:15 PM, Brandon said:

From my circle of friends/co-workers I think the ones who have kept cable are mostly doing it for sports.  Now that streaming online has improved so much in the last year or so.... if TSN ever decides to focus on streaming... it'll really hurt the providers. 

Only reason I haven't cut. I can PVR all the CFL games and watch when I want, or delete all the Riders games and watch the rest. But after paying for Center Ice and seeing the Jets current season, it's getting to be JUST the CFL keeping me around.

Lots of people still have land lines.  But cell service has been around for a generation and land lines still exist.  Im not sure thats the best example.  In the US where the cable companies are part of massive media conglomerates, you begin to see this already where they get streaming options as part of cable packages.  Bell sort of does this with Crave.   I think the big Canadian companies will become mostly internet...everything will be internet.  And everything will be streaming but there are lots of streaming options that dont have great aps or dedicated aps on every platform where a cable company can act as a gateway, like Amazon does.

Either way, its fascinating.

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I want to see #s before the Mandalorian... and after the Mandalorian

Yeah I didn’t get into it deeply so I don’t know if this is just an average of the quarter (like how wwe reports). 

I doubt they had a ton of churn though.  Very big numbers for an initial launch

I believe CBS announced their All Access subs at 10 million which is on pace with what they wanted I think.  Surely Star Trek was a big part of it (and hence why we’re getting so many Trek series’). 

Ans Netflix subs were up too.  

Great guy. Appeared for PCW just for fun. Glad to hear it’s worked out.  

Honestly I'd call this gig an upgrade. He was doing well with Bell (good salary, benefits, pension, union...) but provincial government has some awesome benefits to it as well, and I'd speculate better job security than traditional media right now, especially for gentlemen of a certain vintage...