The TV Thread

TV thread? Movie thread? Not really sure but I have some things I wanted to share...

Netlfix released season 3 of Hip Hop Evolution early last month and I forgot to post that here.

I really enjoyed this season but I've enjoyed ALL the seasons. Great story telling. A big part of this season is the rise of the Jiggy era. 

Even if you're not a big hip-hop fan, I think the storytelling and cultural relevance may be interesting to a lot of people. 

Along the same theme, I recently watched Nas: Time Is Illmatic https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3549508/

It's documentary of Nas' life leading up to the release of Illmatic from 2014. It was certainly interesting to me but I don't consider it a great documentary. 

I watched it on Kanopy. A reminder to those in Winnipeg that, with a Winnipeg Public Library card (account), you get access to 5 shows (credits) per month on Kanopy. There is some weird and cool stuff on there. If you haven't checked it out recently, you should. They've added some old catalogues. I finally watched Chinatown, which, embarrassingly, I had not seen before. 

Also on Kanopy now, Country Music (A Film by Ken Burns) has been added. I'm very excited to watch this one. I'm a big fan of Ken Burns and his documentaries. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Also on Kanopy now, Country Music (A Film by Ken Burns) has been added. I'm very excited to watch this one. I'm a big fan of Ken Burns and his documentaries. 

It was good......not great. Stopped too soon. Spent too much time detailing certain things, and not enough time on others. George Strait...the king of country music.....gets only a brief mention. Yaaaaaaa, I dunno.....but it was good. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

TV thread? Movie thread? Not really sure but I have some things I wanted to share...

Netlfix released season 3 of Hip Hop Evolution early last month and I forgot to post that here.

I really enjoyed this season but I've enjoyed ALL the seasons. Great story telling. A big part of this season is the rise of the Jiggy era. 

Even if you're not a big hip-hop fan, I think the storytelling and cultural relevance may be interesting to a lot of people. 

Along the same theme, I recently watched Nas: Time Is Illmatic https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3549508/

It's documentary of Nas' life leading up to the release of Illmatic from 2014. It was certainly interesting to me but I don't consider it a great documentary. 

I watched it on Kanopy. A reminder to those in Winnipeg that, with a Winnipeg Public Library card (account), you get access to 5 shows (credits) per month on Kanopy. There is some weird and cool stuff on there. If you haven't checked it out recently, you should. They've added some old catalogues. I finally watched Chinatown, which, embarrassingly, I had not seen before.

Thanks for the tip on Kanopy, I'll have to check that Nas documentary out.  I watched the the new Evolution season as it came out... so good!

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Thanks for the tip on Kanopy, I'll have to check that Nas documentary out.  I watched the the new Evolution season as it came out... so good!

You can check it out here: https://winnipeg.kanopy.com/

You can also access Hoopla and Overdrive. More info here: https://guides.wpl.winnipeg.ca/e/movies

But they're not as good as Kanopy. 

Haven't been following this thread, so I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but Big Mouth season three comes out on Friday. Do yourself a favour and watch this show, because it's freaking hilarious. Incredibly no-holds-barred look at puberty by some awesome comedians.

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

It was good......not great. Stopped too soon. Spent too much time detailing certain things, and not enough time on others. George Strait...the king of country music.....gets only a brief mention. Yaaaaaaa, I dunno.....but it was good. 

Loved the Country Music show. I thought they finished it up quickly mid 90s to today but I think that’s probably as it should be. Just be thankful Taylor Swift was in it for half a second. 

As for George Strait and others getting the short shrift I think you’re right but they probably saw him and figured Garth Brooks is pretty much the same type of guy.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

8 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Loved the Country Music show. I thought they finished it up quickly mid 90s to today but I think that’s probably as it should be. Just be thankful Taylor Swift was in it for half a second. 

As for George Strait and others getting the short shrift I think you’re right but they probably saw him and figured Garth Brooks is pretty much the same type of guy.

Noooooooooooo....... 

On 2019-10-02 at 9:14 AM, iHeart said:

and I have heard from Air farce's twitter account it's due to CBC budget cuts.....what could possibly be so important at cbc (besides HNIC) that the Air Farce NYE specials have to be the sacrificial lamb?

okay I won't lie, I have felt that the NYE specials have kind of gone downhill since 2015, I'm not saying this because of politics on either side of the border, and I'm not saying this because Roger Abbot died 8 years ago (they still managed to pack in some good ones even without him) or because they got rid of the  Chicken Cannon, it's somewhere in the material (to be honest I kind of thought they missed some opportunities with the 2011/2012 Not New Years Eve special)

Edited by iHeart

21 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

It was done on purpose to end where they did. He did the same thing for the baseball documentary then about 15 years later did a new episode. Also these documentaries take about a decade to do.

On 2019-10-02 at 2:22 PM, JCon said:

You won't be disappointed. 

Magic Johnson was terrible lots of videos that made fun of him. One episode had Howard Stern who completely embarrassed him on his own show. 

The episode with Artie Langue on the Joe Buck show was super cringe. He nearly had Buck in tears.

Both are must watch though super funny.

well, Fox has it's first Animated Prime Time hit since Bob's Burgers (seriously most of the new animated shows on that network have been flops)

https://tvline.com/2019/10/18/bless-the-harts-renewed-season-2-fox/

not so happy news for Bluff City Law though

https://tvline.com/2019/10/18/bluff-city-law-cancelled-ending-season-1-nbc/

Edited by iHeart

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but "The Righteous Gemstones" starring John Goodman is hilarious.

Premise[edit]

The Righteous Gemstones centers on a family of televangelists and megachurch pastors led by widowed patriarch Eli Gemstone (John Goodman). Eli and his bickering children, Jesse (Danny McBride), Judy (Edi Patterson), and Kelvin (Adam DeVine) live opulent lifestyles funded by their congregations' tithing, and work to expand their network of megachurches, making enemies of the pastors of existing churches, such as Rev. John Wesley Seasons (Dermot Mulroney). This expansion leads them to reconnect with Eli's estranged brother-in-law, "Baby" Billy Freeman (Walton Goggins), whom they tap to lead their newest church.