The TV Thread

Revealed: Leaked memo shows the Republican Party’s vile strategy to respond to mass shootings with liesM&R Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/glasgows/432945997

Written by Walter Einenkel / Daily Kos August 16, 2019

In the wake of the most recent mass shootings in Dayton, Ohio, and El Paso, Texas, congressional Republicans have been circulating a “memo,” on how to discuss gun violence. The Tampa Bay Times obtained this memo and report that while not shocking to most people here, the depth of cynicism and craven hypocrisy on the part of Republicans knows no bottom. According to the Times, the memo discusses the general rhetorical tricks of handling questions about closing existing gun law loopholes instead of creating more robust gun laws. But it also discusses how to very specifically move the conversations away from white supremacy and the role that right-wing propaganda seems to be playing in most domestic terrorist scenarios like the recent El Paso shootings, where the gunman told authorities that he wanted to kill Mexicans.

If asked, the memo suggests that the first thing to do is to “steer the conversation away from white nationalism to an argument that implies both sides are to blame.” Subsequently, Republicans are directed to point out, falsely, that many of the mass shootings in recent years were carried out by “left-leaning” individuals. They specifically point to “El Paso shooter, the recent Colorado shooters, the Congressional baseball shooter, Congresswoman Giffords’ shooter and Antifa.” The El Paso mention is a classic right-wing typo, they meant the Dayton shooting—the right wing in our country does have a level of incompetence that one might call its brand.

0Did you know that all of those shooters were “left leaning?” I bet you didn’t. Cause they weren’t. The man that shot Arizona’s Democratic Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and a dozen other people January of 2011, while registered as a Democrat, showed motives all over the map, referencing everyone from Hillary Clinton to Adolf Hitler, and according to people around him, a general obsession with Giffords herself. The Colorado shooters seem to have been motivated, more than anything, by anger over bullying and a perverse sense of revenge.

The most recent Dayton, Ohio, shooting has been the big news story for the right wing of this country because Donald Trump tweeted and told reporters that the shooter was a “fan” of Sens. Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. President Trump on Dayton shooter: "He was a fan of Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, nothing to do with Trump. Nobody ever mentions that." https://cbsn.ws/2Ky1ZZO 

However, while the Dayton shooter may have had left “leanings,” politically, he also had a very specific history of violent fantasy not at all connected to one political ideology or another. Either way, the fact remains that domestic white nationalist terrorism is still the biggest problem when it comes to mass shooting gun violence in our country. As FBI Director Christopher McKay told a Senate Judiciary Committee last month, the majority of 2019’s domestic terrorist arrests were “motivated by some version of what you might call white supremacist violence.” The need for the Republican Party to sit on their hands to protect their gun money, dovetails nicely with their need to appeal almost exclusively to white nationalists and the people who hate being called white nationalists, but espouse most of the same positions and beliefs of white nationalists.

well this is kind of interesting, I saw a few episodes of the show back when ABC still did their Saturday Morning block on ABC Kids, and now I kind of miss Disney Adventures which has been gone for 12 years, but even if it was still around it would probably be a digital exclusive

https://tvline.com/2019/08/23/lizzie-mcguire-revival-disney-plus-hilary-duff/

https://tvline.com/2019/08/23/ms-marvel-tv-series-disney-plus/

and we have info on the new muppet series!

Edited by iHeart

If you're not an SNL hardcore, you probably can't appreciate just how incredible this news of Eddie returning is. He has set foot on the stage at 8H once since he left, and that was for the 40th Anniversary special, and even then only to just come out and say hi. The feud between Eddie and SNL is longstanding. This is truly incredible news.

He has Dolemite coming, also Coming To America 2 and a series of Netflix specials in the works (his first stand up since Raw and Delirious - considered by many to be some of the best stand up comedy of all time)

I'm first shocked, and second excited by Eddie's return to 8H.......unreal.

Just now, Noeller said:

If you're not an SNL hardcore, you probably can't appreciate just how incredible this news of Eddie returning is. He has set foot on the stage at 8H once since he left, and that was for the 40th Anniversary special, and even then only to just come out and say hi. The feud between Eddie and SNL is longstanding. This is truly incredible news.

He has Dolemite coming, also Coming To America 2 and a series of Netflix specials in the works (his first stand up since Raw and Delirious - considered by many to be some of the best stand up comedy of all time)

Yes, very good news. 

Coming 2 America is expected to come out December 2020, FYI. 

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

well I'll definitely tune in for that

On 2019-08-26 at 11:53 AM, Noeller said:

(his first stand up since Raw and Delirious - considered by many to be some of the best stand up comedy of all time)

Have you seen these two specials?  90% of his material wouldn't fly in our current politically correct environment.  This is why I'm curious what Eddie is going to make fun of now as most offensive comedy isn't allowed anymore.  I tried to watch the latest stand-up comedy show on NBC "Bring the Funny" and had to turn it off after 10 minutes as there was just no funny anywhere.  Eddie is funny, but will he be funny when he can't be offensive?  That's the question for me.

7 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Have you seen these two specials?  90% of his material wouldn't fly in our current politically correct environment.  This is why I'm curious what Eddie is going to make fun of now as most offensive comedy isn't allowed anymore.  I tried to watch the latest stand-up comedy show on NBC "Bring the Funny" and had to turn it off after 10 minutes as there was just no funny anywhere.  Eddie is funny, but will he be funny when he can't be offensive?  That's the question for me.

Have you seen Chapelle's stuff?