The TV Thread

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I'm kind of embarrassed to say that I didn't know that there was a The Good Wife spin off. That show went downhill fast near the end. 

And Diane Lockhart's character really became unappealing to watch in the later years. Reminded me of an opportunistic politician. I see enough of those in the news already. 

29 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm kind of embarrassed to say that I didn't know that there was a The Good Wife spin off. That show went downhill fast near the end. 

And Diane Lockhart's character really became unappealing to watch in the later years. Reminded me of an opportunistic politician. I see enough of those in the news already. 

She’s a bit different on the good fight.  The Star was originally set up to be Ygritte from GoT. 

Its shifted to be more the Diane character and the senior partner who is great (Deloy Linda)

Its super well written. Not something trump supporters would like as they really Doubled down on political commentary this season. But it’s often hilarious.  

Great cast including Cush Jumbo (from the good wife) and they elevated a bit character from that show, Marissa Gold, to regular cast and she’s hilarious. 

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Not a spoiler if the episode has aired. Especially when it's newsworthy, right?

Are you being serious or trolling? 

Let me assume you’re just missing the point. 

GoT: weekly tv series that is highly discussed on social media and news sites  as soon as it airs 

End Game: a film that is seen by fans over the course of days/weeks  

GoT: Airs here on Sunday nights 

End Game: not yet open here 

GoT: Arya did a sex scene which is a headline on cnn among other places and in no way impacts the plot

End Game: feel free to spoil a sex scene that has nothing to do with the plot 

tv and film are different 

but I’ll tell ya what, if it makes you feel better to spoil End Game go ahead. Doesn’t bother me.  Maybe use the movie thread though.  Since you read End Game spoilers and want to post them, why would you care about a non-plot specific scene of a show that aired two days ago? 

Of course I am trolling a bit, but I am making a point of my own instead of missing it.

To assume that anything spoiler-ish is fair game the second it has hit the public conscience is more than a bit presumptive. In the world of 3 TV networks and no VCRs, it was safer to assume that any major plot development would be seen by all at the same time, or those that missed it did not really care enough to watch the show in the first place. And spoilers were limited to word of mouth for the most part, so people could self-regulate what information they wanted to receive.

But in today's world of "57 channels and nothing on" (more like 200), PVR and binge-watching, it is wrong to assume that everyone sees the episode right away (much like a movie that has so many sold-out showings that many won't get to see it until the second or third day, or maybe even the second or third week in this extreme case - hence my specific reference to it). And with the advent of instant gratification internet media like twitter, instagram, etc. and 24-hour streaming news/sports/entertainment, and the ability to cross over from one platform to another, the possibilities of being notified of a spoiler are much higher, despite one's best intentions to avoid being spoiled.

So I can avoid all spoiler sites about "Avengers" diligently (moviespoiler.com and any Google search that takes me to "Avengers spoilers" websites would be the obvious ones to avoid) in an effort to not have the surprise ruined, but reading a generic Bomber fan website and being told about a big spoiler (plot-driven or not, it clearly is a big enough deal to hit CNN and obviously enough to warrant your mention of it, so you would have appreciated the sensitive nature of it to some) with no advance warning can be jarring - if you are so inclined to get worked up about such things in life.

And to be fair, a CNN headline saying "actress thought GOT sex scene was a prank" that requires you to click on a link for more details is a lot less specific than "hey, I'll identify this person by name and say what happened out of the blue with no prior hint that the topic had changed".

So my troll point was simply to say it's a bit frivolous to say "well if it's aired it's fair game and not a spoiler anymore because I've already seen it, so tough on anyone who missed the boat" as a justification for letting a spoiler slip, and used the extreme example of the biggest movie around to beat you over the head with my point. Not very subtle, no, but you get my drift, even if you want to debate the semantics of "movie" vs. "TV", where the lines are more blurred in the current day and age than in the past, IMO.

Just my 2 cents. Personally, I'm not going to get bent out of shape about spoilers, but I am sensitive to those who do.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

28 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Of course I am trolling a bit, but I am making a point of my own instead of missing it.

To assume that anything spoiler-ish is fair game the second it has hit the public conscience is more than a bit presumptive. In the world of 3 TV networks and no VCRs, it was safer to assume that any major plot development would be seen by all at the same time, or those that missed it did not really care enough to watch the show in the first place. And spoilers were limited to word of mouth for the most part, so people could self-regulate what information they wanted to receive.

But in today's world of "57 channels and nothing on" (more like 200), PVR and binge-watching, it is wrong to assume that everyone sees the episode right away (much like a movie that has so many sold-out showings that many won't get to see it until the second or third day, or maybe even the second or third week in this extreme case - hence my specific reference to it). And with the advent of instant gratification internet media like twitter, instagram, etc. and 24-hour streaming news/sports/entertainment, and the ability to cross over from one platform to another, the possibilities of being notified of a spoiler are much higher, despite one's best intentions to avoid being spoiled.

So I can avoid all spoiler sites about "Avengers" diligently (moviespoiler.com and any Google search that takes me to "Avengers spoilers" websites would be the obvious ones to avoid) in an effort to not have the surprise ruined, but reading a generic Bomber fan website and being told about a big spoiler (plot-driven or not, it clearly is a big enough deal to hit CNN and obviously enough to warrant your mention of it, so you would have appreciated the sensitive nature of it to some) with no advance warning can be jarring - if you are so inclined to get worked up about such things in life.

And to be fair, a CNN headline saying "actress thought GOT sex scene was a prank" that requires you to click on a link for more details is a lot less specific than "hey, I'll identify this person by name and say what happened out of the blue with no prior hint that the topic had changed".

So my troll point was simply to say it's a bit frivolous to say "well if it's aired it's fair game and not a spoiler anymore because I've already seen it, so tough on anyone who missed the boat" as a justification for letting a spoiler slip, and used the extreme example of the biggest movie around to beat you over the head with my point. Not very subtle, no, but you get my drift, even if you want to debate the semantics of "movie" vs. "TV", where the lines are more blurred in the current day and age than in the past, IMO.

Just my 2 cents. Personally, I'm not going to get bent out of shape about spoilers, but I am sensitive to those who do.

Sorry TUP, I agree with TB4E. 

CNN made it a "click bait title" so I knew something was up... but not the full details. I tried to keep away from spoilers but I reckon that Arya scene was a bit more spoiler-friendly than most tidbits. 

Not going to hold a grudge, it is what it is. 

59 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

CNN headline included a photo of Arya 

sorry. The reality is that once something airs it’s not a spoiler.  And I’m always cognizant if it (I avoided mentioning the big thing from the Star Wars trailer until others agree that it want a spoiler if it aired in the trailer). 

The onus is on the person who didn’t watch the show to avoid spoilers.  I can’t complain about the jets score being spoiled if I PVr it and then visit the Jets thread.  

I didn’t say Jamie was killed. It was a newsworthy thing that had nothing to do with the plot 

edit  actually you make a good point.  If you post on the avengers thread later this week and I haven’t seen it, im not going to complain  if I click the thread and see a spoiler.   Once it airs it isn’t a spoiler  

Edited by The Unknown Poster

22 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Sorry TUP, I agree with TB4E. 

CNN made it a "click bait title" so I knew something was up... but not the full details. I tried to keep away from spoilers but I reckon that Arya scene was a bit more spoiler-friendly than most tidbits. 

Not going to hold a grudge, it is what it is. 

CNN included her photo. 

It’s not a spoiler after the show airs.  If I made a new thread that said “Arya Sex scene” you could at least say I was less then considerate. But posting about a tv show that already aired on the tv thread?   Sorry, not an issue. And even then I still have nothing away about the plot. 

Onus is on the person choosing to watch later to avoid spoilers.  We don’t all have to keep it quiet until the last person watches. 

https://tvline.com/2019/04/24/andi-mack-ending-season-3-watch-series-finale-video/

holy craperoni I don't believe this!  nothings cancelled! (I already know three shows are ending, Crazy Ex already wrapped) I guess having sundays open probably helped the network

https://tvline.com/2019/04/24/all-american-renewed-season-2-the-cw/

Edited by iHeart

Can't wait. Always felt a certain amount of anxiety over the way it finished. It needed a fourth season but we were robbed of that. Now, although set into the future, we'll get some closure. 

Al Swearengen may be my favourite TV character of all time. Ian McShane has replaced Tim Curry for me as the "must watch" actor. There's not much I won't seek out when he's in it. Although, Tim Curry is still a must-watch.