The TV Thread

Just now, JCon said:

I'm going to watch the trailer but this image reminds of some of the terrible shows my son watched on YTV. 

I agree.  The trailer looks better than that image.  I guess these cheap-to-produce TV shows make DC money.  But to me it just adds to to over-all lack of success with the DC universe.  But I stopped watching the Marvel TV shows too...its just not the same.  Hard to do superheroes on a TV budget.

But it does speak to DC screwing up the film universe in that there was a lot to mine.  Batman solo...Batman with Robin...the break up...the Jason Todd story/death...Nightwing on his own...Titans....Deathstroke.  And thats just the Batman characters (a portion of them).   They tried to be Marvel when they should have gone back to the original Iron Man and started from scratch.

On 2018-10-02 at 1:05 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

Dont recall this teaser being posted yet (speaking of the Connors).

Sounds like Johnny Galecki might be in it more.  They cast Juliette Lewis as his girlfriend which is an awkward reunion of the Griswold siblings from Christmas Vacation...lol

OMG I did not know he was in that.

PS Unlike Lewis he really does not really resemble his early self.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

the CW renews their Summer lineup...I wonder who they'll have for guests next season. Personally  I hope they bring Chip back but this time as a fourth seater since Nashville is now done but then again, he has found a second career as a country singer, so I guess Nashville did him a big favour.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/cw-renews-whose-line-is-it-anyway-masters-of-illusion-penn-teller-fool-us-1202974044/#utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=social_bar&utm_content=bottom&utm_id=1202974044

The Walking Dead season 9 premiere ratings way down.  Still good at 6 million (plus DVR numbers etc) but its way way down.

The show aggravates me.  I want to like it after investing so many years in it.  But even with a new show runner, the plots are dictated by the group doing stupid things that gets them into trouble.

39 minutes ago, iHeart said:

Man breaking bad knew when to stop, Mad Men knew when to stop.

6 million viewers a week is a lot better than most.  Its just way below their prime.  I think the problem is the premise has finally handcuffed them.  We can either tune in every week to watch them go about their mundane lives or we see them do stupid things to create risk and conflict or a new big bad guy shows up for like the 10th time.  

Fear is interesting because its a different setting but it too is getting pretty boring.  

Their issue is that the skipped a lot of interesting stuff to get to "we're ******".  For the original TWD, I get that.  And its been 9 years, thats cool.  But I want to see the fall of civilization and how that reasonably happened.  Show me what happened in the White House.  Show me what happened in capital cities around the world.

12 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Yeah ratings are down but they are down across the board anyway.

But it seems like its been downhill since Negan cap'd Glenn/Abraham. 

Last year was sloppy and biker guy was hardly in the show. IMHO should have ended it after last season.

If I recall, killing Glenn was the beginning of the huge slide.  I remember watching that and immediately said to my gf (who was a bigger fan and read the books), they just blew it.  They really really blew it.  Glenn was the viewer's avatar.  He was the most down to earth and likable of the cast and "grew up" on the show.  He was arguably the most heroic and kind and had the strongest moral convictions.  He was newly married with a baby on the way.  Killing him was the single stupidest thing the producers did.

The Connors premiered last night.  I enjoyed it.  It wasnt perfect but whether it succeeds or not, I dont think will have anything to do with the lack of Roseanne.  The series felt perfectly fine without her (and she was the weak link of last season).  

For those that havent seen it, they explained Roseanne's absence by 

Spoiler

they believed she died of a heart attack in her sleep but the autopsy revealed opiates

One thing I thought was cool, they didnt do an opening credits but sort of did the opening as the closing.  In the original, it was always that sweeping shot of the family assembling at the kitchen table with the camera lingering on Roseann at the end as she laughs.  The new credits occurred organically as the family assembled for dinner in the episodes final scene, with the familiar music playing and the camera sweeping around in a circle before finally lingering on Dan & Darlene together (Darlene laughs but not audibly).

I thought the actors playing Darlene and Becky were particularly strong and the characters are funny enough with enough sweetness and drama to carry much of the future plot.  They are both damaged in their own way so there is much to mine there.  Becky had some great lines and the portrayal of her as a functioning alcoholic who sleeps around has some dramatic elements (trauma over the death of her husband) that keeps it from becoming a one note joke.  And the dichotomy of her sort of being the "failure" and yet is self sufficient whereas the more successful sister moved back home, provides interesting chemistry between the two.

Jackie was entertaining as always but her schtick felt a bit out of place without Roseann to "slap" her back to reality.  She needs that strait man to work off.  I thought Goodman had moments that were really good and others where he seemed very wooden.  

The break out star could be Darlene's son.  Utterly charming.

The daughter is perfectly cast as Darlene's.  

They resisted initial fan speculation that the series would revolve around Darlene and while she is clearly the new heart of the series, it was very much an ensemble.  This is fitting because if you watch the entire series (which I more or less did last year), very closely second to Rosanne, the series was always about Darlene.

I DVR'd it last night mostly because I went out to dinner, and I watched it when I got home in between Jets commercial breaks and the 2nd intermission

at least they didn't do what the Kevin Can Wait people did (too big of a time jump or something or other) 

overall it was okay, I don't know if I'll keep watching though.

Okay,  House of Cards isn't the only thing ending next year

https://tvline.com/2018/10/17/orange-is-the-new-black-cancelled-season-7-oitnb-ending/

to be fair 

Spoiler

didn't the protagonist get released at the end of finale last season?

you know it's amazing, these two shows were the reason people took netflix seriously, I mean sure the subscription didn't spike until they announced they were reviving Arrested Development

yeah I don't remember if I ever posted the revival news, but it looks like they have a plot, and spoiler alert, Dennis Franz isn't returning

https://tvline.com/2018/10/17/nypd-blue-revival-abc-reboot-andy-sipowicz-murder-death/

wow, has NO ONE learned from the time Emeril tried to do a sitcom? https://tvline.com/2018/10/17/property-brothers-comedy-series-fox-jonathan-drew-scott/#comments

Edited by iHeart

My Money is on Supernatural....or one of the NCIS's or one of the Chicago civil servant shows (the article says it's a drama from one of the big 5 networks and the person leaving is an original cast member) I want to say Grey's as well but everyone is thinking Ellen Pompeo

https://tvline.com/2018/10/18/blind-item-original-cast-member-out-at-long-running-drama-series/

3 hours ago, iHeart said:

My Money is on Supernatural....or one of the NCIS's or one of the Chicago civil servant shows (the article says it's a drama from one of the big 5 networks and the person leaving is an original cast member) I want to say Grey's as well but everyone is thinking Ellen Pompeo

https://tvline.com/2018/10/18/blind-item-original-cast-member-out-at-long-running-drama-series/

I'm going with Ice-T.