The TV Thread

8 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The torrent was late last night as will be my copyright email.

It hurt my brain.  But in a gratifying way.  I saw a review that compared the show to Lost but Im much more hopeful Westworld doesn't screw things up like Lost did.  They seem to be taking more care.  One of the creators/writers did an interview where she answered all the questions from the finale so they arent even trying to screw with you, they want you to understand.

Also, for those that dont sit through the credits, there is a Post Credits scene....

The Conners:

The official ABC release about the spinoff has a few details: “After a sudden turn of events,” it says, “the Conners are forced to face the daily struggles of life in Lanford in a way they never have before.” It also promises “an unexpected pregnancy,” “financial pressures,” and “coupon cutting,” all in a way that will “demonstrate that families can always find common ground through conversation.”

This whole story pretty much echoes my thoughts

http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/roseanne-spinoff-imagining-the-conners.html

Roseanne Conner would have to die. The press release seems to hint at something like this — “a sudden turn of events” suggests a tragedy — and frankly, it’s the only honest way to make a clean break. If The Conners is going to be Roseanne without Roseanne but the character doesn’t die, the show will quickly tilt toward the same self-loathing, ironicized mess of the original Roseanne’s ninth season. It wouldn’t be a show about a working-class family; it’d be a show about the strangeness of its own existence. Plus, anything less than Roseanne’s death leaves the door open for her return, which would be a remarkably craven gesture.

So, Roseanne has to die. And then, like the Roseanne revival always should’ve been, The Conners becomes a show about Darlene.

After all, it’s an immensely sad story for Darlene: She spent nine seasons on Roseanne dreaming of leaving Lanford, but now she’s back in her father’s home. It’s maybe even more sad for Becky, who has never even conceived of a way out. The Conners could finally treat those stories as a narrative anchor, rather than marginalizing them as a satellite story line to Roseanne and Dan’s marriage. It could be about the tension between two sisters who never really got each other, but who are now stuck with many of the same predicaments, and who are stuck with each other.

The Conners would still be a sitcom, but the humor would be pegged to Darlene’s sensibility rather than to Roseanne’s. Less “mother knows best, let me swipe you upside the head and lecture you about kids having it too easy these days.” More “life is bleak and existence is short, but everything is absurd and we may as well laugh.”

Barr also offered much less natural acting in the revival than she had in the original series. While Goodman, Gilbert, Metcalf, and the rest of the cast hit their beats and made the show’s rhythm their own, Barr often seemed to be reading from cue cards. What once came off as a refreshingly, bracingly direct style on the original series did not translate well into the revival, where Barr seemed less concerned about being within the story and more obviously concerned about performing the story. I’m curious what The Conners could look like without that stilted performance element.

But yes, I can imagine a successful version of The Conners. It would be a show about trying to foster your kids’ hopes and dreams even after your own did not work out as you’d imagined. It would be about the disorientation of grief and the absurdity and awkwardness of Aunt Jackie trying to fill Roseanne’s shoes. It would be about what it feels like for D.J.’s daughter, Mary, to be the only person of color in her family. It would be about Dan making a mess of his grandson’s preferred pronouns, Darlene chastising him, and Dan trying again. And it would surely have a very dark, very funny episode about Dan trying to fill out all the necessary paperwork after Roseanne’s death.

I was against the killing off of Roseanne as I thought it would be a distraction and some fans would be offended.  But now I think it really has to be the case.  of course, unknowingly, they set up a potential way to do it in the revival with Roseanne being addicted to pain pills and about to have surgery.

There is a lot to mine with the character's death and anyone who has experienced that (as I just did) can attest to the grieving and, as noted above, the sometimes overwhelming paperwork and stuff that needs to be done when someone dies.  Factor in the loss of income and it ramps up the money worries too.

And of course, Dan eventually dating again could hilarious.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

28 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It hurt my brain.  But in a gratifying way.  I saw a review that compared the show to Lost but Im much more hopeful Westworld doesn't screw things up like Lost did.  They seem to be taking more care.  One of the creators/writers did an interview where she answered all the questions from the finale so they arent even trying to screw with you, they want you to understand.

Also, for those that dont sit through the credits, there is a Post Credits scene....

My brain hurt too. 

Didn't know about the closing credits. I'll watch the closing during my lunch, thanks. Watched them 

Spoiler

That was a cool scene. I'll be curious to see what they do with the TMIB. 

Spoiler

They could have ended the entire series after "Delores" escaped. I almost thought they were. 

Edited by JCon

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

My brain hurt too. 

Didn't know about the closing credits. I'll watch the closing during my lunch, thanks. 

Hide contents

They could have ended the entire series after "Delores" escaped. I almost thought they were. 

The Post Credit scene will make your brain hurt even more but apparently, its exactly what you suspect it is...

Spoiler

The creator says Season 3 will be much more in the real world so that will be interesting to explore.  We know Hale took 5 mind spheres with her...so presumably Bernard and whomever is in the "new" Hale (since there is a full Delores).  So there are three more Hosts that Delores has.  Plus, Barnard, when he runs into Elsie first says "I think we can save the hosts..." but she cuts him off so I dont know if he meant the hosts' minds that went into the "new world" (which the creator called Sublime) or if he meant the "dead" hosts.

At the end, the two Delos techs are told to salvage the "dead" hosts so we can presume they continue with hosts/Westworld.  Plus, when you see the Post Credit scene, it will explain (or confound) some things...lol

Spoiler

Based on the most realistic explanations I've seen, Dolores has Bernard (in his body) and Ford (moved into Charlotte's body) but no idea who the other three are. 

Maeve? Not likely. It seems the techs will save her. Plus, they'll have a need to go back to Westworld during season 3. 

Tag this for later: Westworld Season 2 Finale

Edited by JCon

4 minutes ago, JCon said:
  Hide contents

Based on the most realistic explanations I've seen, Dolores has Bernard (in his body) and Ford (moved into Charlotte's body) but no idea who the other three are. 

Maeve? Not likely. It seems the techs will save her. Plus, they'll have a need to go back to Westworld during season 3. 

I agree.  And regarding the Post Credit scene:

Spoiler

Its confirmed to be the far-future.  William is a host (in that scene, they said he was real during Season 2 and only a host in the post Credit scene).  His "daughter" was real when he killed her but a host in the Post Credit scene (because it's so far in the future).  And the facility looks old and rough.    So perhaps they introduced this timelime as a means to show us the after match of whatever Delores, Bernard etc do.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

I agree.  And regarding the Post Credit scene:

Hide contents

Its confirmed to be the far-future.  William is a host (in that scene, they said he was real during Season 2 and only a host in the post Credit scene).  His "daughter" was real when he killed her but a host in the Post Credit scene (because it's so far in the future).  And the facility looks old and rough.    So perhaps they introduced this timelime as a means to show us the after match of whatever Delores, Bernard etc do.

Spoiler

Just like his father-in-law, with his son, every scenario brings TMIB back to the point where he kills his daughter. 

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The torrent was late last night as will be my copyright email.

If those emails are authentic, I'd take them seriously, they'll come after you for a ridiculous amount of money and you'll have no defense.  It happens.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

8 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The Conners:

I was against the killing off of Roseanne as I thought it would be a distraction and some fans would be offended.  But now I think it really has to be the case.  of course, unknowingly, they set up a potential way to do it in the revival with Roseanne being addicted to pain pills and about to have surgery.

There is a lot to mine with the character's death and anyone who has experienced that (as I just did) can attest to the grieving and, as noted above, the sometimes overwhelming paperwork and stuff that needs to be done when someone dies.  Factor in the loss of income and it ramps up the money worries too.

Lots of speculation about how Roseanne's absence will affect the new sitcom. How the characters will handle the loss.  All I know is that as as an adult, I've lost both my parents & a sister. Luckily, I had my own family to lean on during those tough times. I just hope that the series writers realize  that we all handle grief differently but life must go on. That the series doesn't become maudlin. 

8 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The Conners:

oh if only there were more than one standup comedians on the show (I know Sandra Bernhard was one...I think but she had recurring status)

still I kind of wonder how Roseanne would bite the big one though, I mean one of the suggestions on the list is kind of hilariously ironic, I mean wasn't Chuck Lorre involved with the original run briefly? it's like one person on each of the shows he's worked on has self destructed (with Charlie Sheen being an extreme case), I don't want to know which Big Bang cast member will lose it

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

When Patrick Stewart landed the role of Jean Luc Picard in 1987, he was a little known but successful British stage & Shakesperian actor. He didn't know all that much about Star Trek & said that he took the role because he needed the money but did not like the thought of playing in a sci fi tv series. He looked down upon the role as well as being beneath him at the time.  Of course, thirty years , one successful tv series now in endless reruns all around the world, four motion pictures & tens of millions of dollars later, I guess his perspective has changed.

21 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

S3 of WestWorld won't start shooting until next June.

Looong wait.  And then, the shoots for this series have been long too.  So likely wont be til Spring 2020.  At least by then I wont remember anything that happened and will happily binge S1 & S2 to prepare.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Looong wait.  And then, the shoots for this series have been long too.  So likely wont be til Spring 2020.  At least by then I wont remember anything that happened and will happily binge S1 & S2 to prepare.

Well at least we got our answer as to why there was a falling bison in the opening credits.