The TV Thread

13 hours ago, iHeart said:

it's not a ratings this it's up int he air mostly because the show runners bolted

I thought I had heard American Gods had been renewed already.  I just did some googling and surprise surprise, Fuller left over clashing with the production company.  Hes going to get a bad rep for this.  They have a $10 million per episode budget and wanted more and also had creative differences.  Similar thing happened with Star Trek forcing him out.  Its great to be a creative guy but if you cant play nice and you cant deliver on time and on budget, you wont get to see your creativity used to its potential.

13 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Disco is a bit of a mess IMHO.

The first two episodes (collectively, the Pilot) were rough in my opinion.  And I'd chalk that up to Fuller leaving.  They wasted a lot of money with the On-Location shoot for no reason and you could see the vision was sort of all over the place.  But starting with Episode 3, it's been really smooth in my opinion.

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

Not surprised.  He and Sara Gilbert are close and she's an exec producer.  Interesting that the characters of their children are named Harris and Mark.  I guess that means they will definitely write Mark out as having died.  Mark and David were brothers on the show, right?

Finally watched Punisher before Netflix account expired. Gotta say it was by far the best of the Marvel Netflix shows I've watched so far, DD season one being a close 2nd.  I'm surprised (but at the same time not really) how gruesome Marvel got with the Punisher but I guess you can't really have it any other way. Frank Castle was one of the first real anti-heroes and his whole story revolves around death and violence so it was fitting.  His (Bernthal) on screen chemistry with Micro (Moss-Bachrach) was probably the best I've seen between 2 people in any of these series so far imo.

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Not surprised.  He and Sara Gilbert are close and she's an exec producer.  Interesting that the characters of their children are named Harris and Mark.  I guess that means they will definitely write Mark out as having died.  Mark and David were brothers on the show, right?

yes they were brothers. when Mark and Becky started dating at some point David kind of tags a long with Mark and thats how he meets Darlene if I'm not mistaken

3 minutes ago, iHeart said:

uh....no I don't think so (I've never watched every episode so I wouldn't know)

Yup I just checked.  Mark Healy and David Healy.  If I recall, the gag at the end when it was revealed that the series was just an exaggeration of Roseanne's life that she wrote as therapy after Dan died was that Darlene was married to Mark and Becky was married to David.  Or something like that.  Anyway, brothers.

I'm five episodes into Godless on Netflix and it's been great.

Western with a bit of Deadwood flair. Not as good, of course, but very enjoyable.

There are only seven episodes so it's not much of a commitment.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5516154/

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/godless-why-netflixs-brutal-timely-western-is-a-must-see-w512344

32 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup I just checked.  Mark Healy and David Healy.  If I recall, the gag at the end when it was revealed that the series was just an exaggeration of Roseanne's life that she wrote as therapy after Dan died was that Darlene was married to Mark and Becky was married to David.  Or something like that.  Anyway, brothers.

From my memory of watching the show,   Becky was dating Mark.....  Mark would bring David over because he was the one who watched over David as they had a deadbeat mother who was abusive and an alcoholic.   

Darlene was majorly anti social at this point,  she warms up to David because he shares and interest in drawing comics / art.

In one episode it was Thanksgiving and for one reason or another Roseanne is at David's house and witnesses his mom abusing him mentally and possibly physically... Roseanne tells David to come home and eventually Darlene and David fall in love as they live together.

Mark works with Dan at his bike shop and it seemed that Becky and him were going to get married.

In real life the actor who played Mark OD'd on drugs so I assume they are writing him off the show to add more storylines rather then replacing the actor.

I also found out that the actress who played Roseanne's mother is still alive... I wonder if she comes back?

35 minutes ago, Brandon said:

From my memory of watching the show,   Becky was dating Mark.....  Mark would bring David over because he was the one who watched over David as they had a deadbeat mother who was abusive and an alcoholic.   

Darlene was majorly anti social at this point,  she warms up to David because he shares and interest in drawing comics / art.

In one episode it was Thanksgiving and for one reason or another Roseanne is at David's house and witnesses his mom abusing him mentally and possibly physically... Roseanne tells David to come home and eventually Darlene and David fall in love as they live together.

Mark works with Dan at his bike shop and it seemed that Becky and him were going to get married.

In real life the actor who played Mark OD'd on drugs so I assume they are writing him off the show to add more storylines rather then replacing the actor.

I also found out that the actress who played Roseanne's mother is still alive... I wonder if she comes back?

Roseanne was so ahead of it's time. Remarkable that this program, that dealt with real issues in a half-hour sitcom format, thrived for so long.

Rosanne Barr is a real piece of work but they created a masterpiece with this show.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

oh okay I can understand.

Actually I was exaggerating the number of episodes of the show I saw, I think I saw like a total of 4 tops, and they were two parter episodes

I don't know if I would consider the Disney World episodes important but it seems that it ended up sowing the seeds for everything going down.

The other was the series finale

Edited by iHeart

40 minutes ago, JCon said:

Roseanne was so ahead of it's time. Remarkable that this program, that dealt with real issues in a half-hour sitcom format, thrived for so long.

Rosanne Barr is a real piece of work but they created a masterpiece with this show.

I thought the show was good for the time when alternative prime time shows included Dinosaurs... But i wouldnt say masterpiece just a relatable show especially if you grew up in the middle-lower class family dealing a lot with financial instability.  In 10-20 years they will reboot hannah montana and my kids will call it a master piece too lol all nostalgic

8 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I thought the show was good for the time when alternative prime time shows included Dinosaurs... But i wouldnt say masterpiece just a relatable show especially if you grew up in the middle-lower class family dealing a lot with financial instability.  In 10-20 years they will reboot hannah montana and my kids will call it a master piece too lol all nostalgic

yeah I doubt that Miley would want to do it again, just because Raven is doing it again, doesn't mean MIley will do it, I think I'd rather see a Lizzie Mcguire reboot

I don't know, it was arguably one of the best shows for it's time. It dealt with real social issues and did it in primetime. They didn't trivialize the issues and kept a huge audience for a very long time. That was remarkable.

There were other shows that dealt with serious social issues of violence and drug/alcohol abuse during the same timeframe  but never kept the audience.

But we should never forget the deep social message of "Not the Mama".  :)

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I agree.  it was way ahead of its time and was so realistic.  I had a friend who's parents were very much identical to Roseanne and Dan to the extent even THEY recognized it.  Barr got too in the Hollywood bubble and the show became a parody, unfortunately.  But supposedly they realise this and the revival is to be more like the first few seasons.

The actress who played the second Becky, Sarah Chalk, is also going to be on the show in a different role, which is a pretty neat thing to do.  If I recall, there was one episode where they both appeared (or both appeared in the credits in a gag or something).

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Might be the only one who dont share Netflix :)

I dont.  When I was ready to try Netflix, I signed up for the free trial.  its worth it so I kept it.  I actually argued with someone over this "sharing".  If people do that, so be it.  But some guy was whining on a different forum about how Star Trek should be on Netflix because it's "free" because he uses a friend's account and he got some blowback about stealing.  His position was Netflix encourages this.  The only thing I found online was Netflix encourages family sharing but their intent is kids move out and get their own.  Dont be cheap.  lol

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Roseanne was really really good and ground-breaking in its portrayal of family dynamics, at least for that era.  Often compared to All In The Family.