Main Camp Day 4 (Reports and Discussion)

Mike

"But let the record show one of the most-impressive passes thrown through the early days of camp was an absolutely perfect spiral that covered 50 yards after simple a flick of a 48-year-old ex-quarterback's wrist." 

Author? Ed Tait

Who he was talking about?  Danny McMannus

Well Danny is 48 so I guess so!  Wonder if his body could hold up for a whole season....

Is that the same injury he had last season? I hope not, b/c it would suck to have your career possibly ended by a cheapshot. Not that there's a good way to end your career to an injury, but still...

"But let the record show one of the most-impressive passes thrown through the early days of camp was an absolutely perfect spiral that covered 50 yards after simple a flick of a 48-year-old ex-quarterback's wrist." 

Author? Ed Tait

Who he was talking about?  Danny McMannus

Well Danny is 48 so I guess so!  Wonder if his body could hold up for a whole season....

The only thing Danny's body can hold up now is a pint of beer. :) I read the article about him and I'm so glad he's back in the Bomber fold. All we need is Khari back here and the whole picture is complete.

Everyone can breath a sigh of relief ... Pencer has not been taken captive by aliens.

He's got the sniffles.

Everyone can breath a sigh of relief ... Pencer has not been taken captive by aliens.

He's got the sniffles.

Thanks.  

Alright for you folks near and far, let me attempt to give my impressions of today's practice. Keeping in mind that some of you did have requests how some players were doing I did try and key in to watch them during the practice session. That being said here I go:

-Hall and Willy keep widening the gap between themselves and who's ever name is drawn out of the hat for 3rd.

-RB's- Cotton is AWESOME, (not big news I know but...) Made some defensive players look ridiculous. Volny had a pretty decent day, Brooks had a fumble and ran decently, Grigsby did nothing to stand off the page.

-Pontbriand had a really good practice showing some receivers how do their jobs by pulling in some beauty catches. Also laid out a DE in what of the "scrimmages" got some big cheers from teammates and coaches.

-WR's- The usual culprits (Denmark, Moore, Urrutia, Kohlert) continued to show what they can do on the field. Big impressions made this morning by Feoli-Gudino (dropped one pass, got after himself didn't drop a pass the rest of practice, dude is also really quick!) Carter stood on his head for a couple catches, received a bit of a hard knock next to sidelines, got up in the db's face and got a positive reaction from Bellefeuille. I like his chances of making this squad. Kemp and Barnes made some good catches, a couple of drops. Tarver seemed to struggle a bit today.

-OL- Had some really good battles when going up against the D-Line. Standouts were Goossen who absolutely plastered half the line, Stevenson (#59), and Everett. Everett is one quick kid, was all over the place. Neufeld also looked very good out there, pushing guys back pretty deep on rushing plays.

-DB's- I had a hard time telling who was having a good practice and who wasn't... During the "scrimmages"  Markett, Randle, Sears and Alexander were moving well getting to the ball. They all still seem to be struggling with Etch's system, you could hear him yelling all through practice where guys should be, but at the same time he was also challenging the players with questions. (For example on a certain play he was asking how many guys were supposed to be in the box and his players were responding to him)

-LB's- Dunn, Kuale, and Newman stood out. Wild seemed a little frustrated at times but was asking coaches questions. All LB's seemed to get burned when they tried to keep up with WR's on one of the drills. 

-D-Line- I specifically was looking at Moseley,Tate, Fraser, and Nzegwu. Tate was the only one who was pretty meh to me. Nzegwu was in the backfield a lot and not many of our OL were able to block him very well. Fraser was quick to get in to the backfield as well, I think he could bring something to the table this season if they see fit to keeping him around, And lastly, Thomas had a solid practice, was squashed by an OL or two during some drills but got up quick and kept going at him. The coached tapped him on the helmet a number of times. 

ST- Hajrullahu was by far the best kicker on the field, beat out Maher in all aspects.

That's all I got, if you have any requests for guys, I'm going back tomorrow, let me know.

He's got the sniffles.

He's got a cold? That's keeping him off the field? I was scared it was a hang-nail, feel better now. :) JK Tyson - please don't hurt me!!

LOL ;) hey man, those colds going around here are pretty vicious. I had one for a good week, it was awful. not fun. ;)

Couldn't imagine playing football or honestly doing anything really if you get one of these new ones. No bs, rumors are these vicious flu's are more awful than normal due to all the immigrants coming over here. (not saying i dislike that, just saying, i did read something that mentioned that being a cause) 

Great report and thank you for that. Sounds like Goossen is a quick learner, Neufeld is living up to his advance billing, and the whole line has some potential- very welcome news after the Keystone Kops routine for the O-line the past couple of years. Nice to hear that one of the RBs: Cotton is separating himself from his competition, and not so good to hear that our Canuck receivers aren't wowing the coaches.

He's got the sniffles.

He's got a cold? That's keeping him off the field? I was scared it was a hang-nail, feel better now. :) JK Tyson - please don't hurt me!!

LOL ;) hey man, those colds going around here are pretty vicious. I had one for a good week, it was awful. not fun. ;)

Couldn't imagine playing football or honestly doing anything really if you get one of these new ones. No bs, rumors are these vicious flu's are more awful than normal due to all the immigrants coming over here. (not saying i dislike that, just saying, i did read something that mentioned that being a cause) 

There have always been those kind of rumours about immigrants flocking in, bringing along crime, violence and disease- started by the native population here when the Europeans showed up in the 1500's. They were right- not so sure about the latest round, though.

I was there for a bit. Got kicked out of the sunny end zone too where I was trying to watch the O Line. There didn't seem to be much reason for it but let's move on.

I thought Grigsby looked good running the ball.

Kemp made some big catches in the parts I saw.

Mike Scheper is a complete maniac. In a good way I suppose.

Goossen was struggling when I was there.

After a winter of hemming and hawing I decided to renew my seasons. My old seats were taken so I am now sitting 4 rows below the Rum Hut. Which should be fun since I take my 10 year old to most games. I'm sure he won't here any words he hasn't heard watching the games with Daddy.

:)

It's interesting the different opinions you get on here from all the camp reports by those of you who have gone.

one guy says grigsby looked meh, other said he looked good. Goossen standing out as being good to one, as being not so good by someone else.

Quite interesting. Do appreciate the reports though.

It's interesting the different opinions you get on here from all the camp reports by those of you who have gone.

one guy says grigsby looked meh, other said he looked good. Goossen standing out as being good to one, as being not so good by someone else.

The ups and downs of training camp.  Depends on the times one spectator comes and the other one leaves.

The ups and downs of training camp.  Depends on the times one spectator comes and the other one leaves.

Some drills give the advantage to certain positional groups, other drills reverse it.

Mike Scheper is a complete maniac. In a good way I suppose.

I guess we needed to replace Creehan in some way shape or form...

-D-Line- I specifically was looking at Moseley,Tate, Fraser, and Nzegwu. Tate was the only one who was pretty meh to me. Nzegwu was in the backfield a lot and not many of our OL were able to block him very well. Fraser was quick to get in to the backfield as well, I think he could bring something to the table this season if they see fit to keeping him around, And lastly, Thomas had a solid practice, was squashed by an OL or two during some drills but got up quick and kept going at him. The coached tapped him on the helmet a number of times. 

Thanks for the report.... any idea how to pronounce Nzegwu? 

Nice job on the reports - So Cotton eh.... lets see what he can do in an game (has a good name at least, I can prounce it and remember it lol). 

Inconsistencies on reports - par for the course, different times, different drills, different level's of fatigue

Pencer has a cold and stayed home - GOOD - enough of this macho bs. It's training camp. Ever have a cold where you couldn't breathe - great. Next time you have one - go to a boot camp workout outside and get back to me on how you feel. Better yet, get back to the rest of the people in bootcamp you just got sick a few days later and see how 'macho' they think you are. Good on Pencer, it's the smart thing for him and coaches to do. Last thing we need is half a team (or more) sick. 

I was there today and agree with some observations not so much with others.

First...I don't know what it is, but in previous years I never ever got bored watching practice. This year not the case, I think it is because they are doing more teaching, which is probably a good thing! There just seems to be fairly long periods where not much is happening.

I hardly ever get to see what is going on with the OL. but Goossen and Morley are still alternating at centre. I'll tell you one thing, at the end of practice they had the OL doing sprints. Dan Knapp leaves all the rest in his dust. He is one fit dude! Someone who tried to keep up with him and almost did is Quinn Everett. Neufeld brought up the rear in last place and to me looked like he was limping at the end.

My general impression is that virtually all the OL are more fit than in previous years.

For me in previous practices, I wasn't so high on Brian Brohm...but he is really starting to grow on me and show me a pretty strong arm, good mobility, and accuracy. I am still impressed with Marve, Willy and Hall. Hall is smart and I still like him, but it is a struggle for him on long passes, certainly not the case with the others. In my opinion this is the strongest group of QB's we have had in a very long time, at least practice wise, we'll see in the pre season games.

For the running backs they all look good, again the strongest group for some time. Paris Cotton really stands out, Grigsby didn't show quite as much today, but I disagree with a previous poster about Tarver, the guy can catch and puts on some wicked moves. He is quick, quick, quick. I am also impressed with our new Canadian RB Errol Brooks. This is the second time I noticed him doing good things. Volny also looked good today.

Pontbriand was making nice catches, and Aaron Woods has great hands coming out of the backfield, and gets to his spot in a hurry. I hope they utilize him like that during the season.  Wasn't necessarily impressed with Feoli-Gudino in previous practices, but the guy can catch, not always with his hands though, but effort wise and toughness really shows. I wouldn't describe him as super fast, but fast enough. I thought Carter was just Ok today, but Taylor Renaud is having a very good camp. Kolhert is his usual steady self. Still not totally sold on Urrita though...I think he drops too many, and doesn't fight hard enough for the ball.

Didn't pay much attention to the defence...but tell you one thing, they are a hustling bunch, so there won't be a lack of effort.