Madani: CFLPA Recommends Strike Vote To Members

Noeller

i like these all "day" "night" type of negotiations, this is how the NHL solved theres. Basically got an announcement at like 1am or so our time telling us the "lockout" was over.

I remember watching it and seeing bettman and fehr walk out basically holding hands acting like they were the best of friends.

Suspect this gets done by sunday, maybe even friday.

There will be a significant amount of pressure to get this done today, or into the wee hours overnight.

Players flying into town while in labour limbo just isn't good for them or for the teams.  No one wants to spend time or money on uncertain projects.  

I don't see it stretching into the weekend, but labour negotiations can be very tricky, so I'm not placing any bets. 

I laugh, though, when hearing some people discribing the process, as they keep meeting, breaking, meeting, breaking.  Some seem to feel that unless they are in the same room talking that it isn't moving.  I've done labour negotiating for 30 years or so, and that's how this dance works.   You make a proposal, and answer questions regarding the proposal....then the other side says "give us some time to consider it" so either you or they leave the room.   They discuss the proposal, track the progression of the talks, and formulate a counter proposal.  Then you meet again, and they present their counter proposal, and answer questions, and you say "give us some time to consider it"....and the process repeats itsself.   You don't actually sit face to face for hours on end argueing.   So long as they are in the same building, albeit in different rooms, the process continues.

Got a feeling they will be close enough camps open on time with no deal in place.

No deal means current CBA remains in effect does it not.

Unless the CFLPA calls for a strike vote prior to camps opening (which means shits gone REALLY BAD) camps will open with vets coming in

Got a feeling they will be close enough camps open on time with no deal in place.

Unless the CFLPA calls for a strike vote prior to camps opening (which means shits gone REALLY BAD) camps will open with vets coming in

Don't think so.  I believe the players have said they wouldn't play without an agreement.  That may change if the two sides are close.

I believe this is the case. They will abide by the old contract unless a strike vote is called.

There will be a significant amount of pressure to get this done today, or into the wee hours overnight.

Players flying into town while in labour limbo just isn't good for them or for the teams.  No one wants to spend time or money on uncertain projects.  

I don't see it stretching into the weekend, but labour negotiations can be very tricky, so I'm not placing any bets. 

I laugh, though, when hearing some people describing the process, as they keep meeting, breaking, meeting, breaking.  Some seem to feel that unless they are in the same room talking that it isn't moving.  I've done labour negotiating for 30 years or so, and that's how this dance works.   You make a proposal, and answer questions regarding the proposal....then the other side says "give us some time to consider it" so either you or they leave the room.   They discuss the proposal, track the progression of the talks, and formulate a counter proposal.  Then you meet again, and they present their counter proposal, and answer questions, and you say "give us some time to consider it"....and the process repeats itself.   You don't actually sit face to face for hours on end arguing.   So long as they are in the same building, albeit in different rooms, the process continues.

This is what happens when you give people rooms, free food and per diems. Lock 'em up without food or a bathroom and you'd have an agreement in about three hours.

I'd cave inside 20 minutes.

This is actually a good way to get rid of unwanted callers very quickly- just tell them that your john is clogged and you're waiting for the plumber. That'll get them focused on their bladders and they will be gone in a half hour.

CFLPA offer of $5.8M cap increasing by 3% each year was just rejected by the CFL, per Madani.

I think that takes it close to $7 million by end of contract. 

What was the CFL's offer?  What is the cap now?  What does $5.8 represent percentage wise.  Compared to the CFL's offer (which I think was 9% increase), split the difference and play ball.

Offer also asked for $15k one time payment to each veteran player. CFL walked out rather than counter.

I bet the young players will be happy to vote for strike now knowing the veterans angled for a payday for themselves.  The CFL should counter with something that speaks to the younger players/rookies etc and drive a wedge.

Offer also asked for $15k one time payment to each veteran player. CFL walked out rather than counter.

I bet the young players will be happy to vote for strike now knowing the veterans angled for a payday for themselves.  The CFL should counter with something that speaks to the younger players/rookies etc and drive a wedge.

Keep in mind for the purpose of this discussion, I'm pretty sure "veterans" means anyone who is not a first year player.

Don't try to drive a wedge, that's ridiculous. Meet somewhere in the middle and be done with it. A strike hurts the league big time. This won't end well if the CFL tries to bully the PA and vice versa. Just suck it up, get a deal done, 15k per each vet? do it, who cares, you will make 15 k back in 5 minutes of ticket sales really, well no but you get the point.. It wont take long to make that money back.

CFL seems to being a little stubborn and pig headed here from the sounds of it, however, you need to remember that it does appear madani is very very PRO PA for some reason so gotta take what he tweets with a bit of a grain of salt.