Phaneuf to Jets?

Consider the source but fun to speculate.  As soon as I heard the Leafs were shopping Phaneuf, I thought "he'd look great as a 3-4 pairing on the Jets but would they be willing to give up?"

hockeybuzz.com

There is a ton of speculation surrounding the two captains as we come into the draft and their names have been out in the rumor mill for many weeks now. This morning I talked to one of my favorite sources who is familiar with both of these situations to get a feel for whether or not the interest has picked up in the recent days:

"Spezza will have plenty of suitors. The Leafs are having a much harder time selling Dion Phaneuf to the NHL GMs," my source continued, " While it would appear he is the kind of defender most teams want, he is not only expensive, but doesn't have the greatest history of being safe with the puck in his own zone."

Phaneuf is also a very big personality to bring into any dressing room.

So far, the best I can tell is the Winnipeg Jets have shown the most interest in Phaneuf.

Spezza, on the other hand, is a much easier sale. At this point I am hearing the Wings, Sabres and Sharks could be among the teams interested...however, the Leafs could very much get involved with the Spezza trade game. They will have interest in him as a UFA a year from now for certain.

In the scenario you posted, your highest paid player (by 1.25 million) would be on the second defensive pairing. Not exactly the way I would want to go about it.

His cap hit would be the highest, but I have to believe Phaneuf is untradeable unless the Leafs eat part of his salary. If they ate $2M of his salary it would work out budget wise. We're not a cap team so we'd have room for him in that respect.

Having said that, I'll believe it when I see it.

True true.  Jets could see him as a top pairing guy.  I think most teams look at DP as a 3-4 guy in skill.  Leafs certainly paid him like a 1-2 guy.  It all depends on how much money they are willing to take back.

I believe he's a left D.  So would that give us:

Enstrom - Trouba

Phaneuf - Bogo

Stuart - Morrison

The problem with Phaneuf is that he is a top pairing guy and is paid like it and the leafs will expect that kind of return for him. He is a flawed player but he does have talent. Leafs paid him too much but I don't see him being traded for a small price either. 

I don't buy it, Jets need defensive d men not offensive d men who suck. Phaneuf is terrible, there is a reason toronto is trying to move him, lol at the Jets suggestion, just does not fit the teams needs or really the teams profile at all.

Plus who do you send to toronto for him? buff? kane? cuz that's who we'd have to move and i'd suspect other teams would be willing to offer more and better packages for those 2 then just dion paheneuf. 

However, if elisha cuthbert comes with him :P

I read one suggestion of Kane vs Phaneuf, 8th overall and another player and people thought it was giving up too much on Toronto's part.  I think thats what gives me pause.  All things being equal, I'd love to have DP here as I think we're building a solid D corp and he'd really cement that.  But I wouldnt want to part with any "core" players for him because if given the choice between Phaneuf and Kane, I'd rather have Kane.  and the same can be said for pretty much all the core guys. 

That might be in the ball park but I'd *hate* to lose Kane for a D-man that I think people will always be just a bit disappointed in.  *Maybe* if this years draft was deeper but Im not a big draft guy so Im not sure how "for sure" a player at #8 is.  But having #8 and #9 would certainly add to the Jets' "building through the draft" mentality.  But it leaves a gaping hole up front.  Though if you consider Kane had a poor year (mostly due to injuries) and Buff was a forward convert late in the season, perhaps it works if Buff gets pencilled in top six LW.  makes it easier to fill the 3rd line LW.

I'd see Edmonton as a better fit.  I think DP is from Edmonton and he'd likely have more value to them then to us (ie. he'd be a 1-2 D man for sure there) and they have the forward players that Toronto would surely love.  Flipping first rounders could easily factor into the mix also.

If we want to get crazy, how about we take the aforementioned Kane & Pavs to Toronto for DP, Reimer and 8th overall.  Then flip DP, 8th Overall and 9th overall to Edmonton for 3rd overall and Eberle  ;-)

Phaneuf's contract doesn't fit IMO.  The Jets need a second pairing LHD, but to give up assets and add a bad long-term contract for it, I don't think so.  If they are going to make a move like that I believe it would more likely be on a forward.  They've got Clitsome signed, Stuart just signed a 4 year deal, Morrissey on the way.  Seems unlikely they'd be interested in Phaneuf at 7 years.

If Toronto swallows $4-5 million of his salary, I say bring him in.

Maybe $3.75 to 4..... Princess Di isn't a bad hire for around 3 mill., and yeah he'd be on the 2nd pairing. Not a huge difference-maker but certainly solid experience and grit would be added. What would we have to give TO - neg rights to Kylie Wellwood?

If Toronto swallows $4-5 million of his salary, I say bring him in.

Maybe $3.75 to 4..... Princess Di isn't a bad hire for around 3 mill., and yeah he'd be on the 2nd pairing. Not a huge difference-maker but certainly solid experience and grit would be added. What would we have to give TO - neg rights to Kylie Wellwood?

try kane or buff.

I read one suggestion of Kane vs Phaneuf, 8th overall and another player and people thought it was giving up too much on Toronto's part. 

That's because it IS giving up too much on Torontos part. Toronto would probably like to get a replacement D in return for Phaneuf so you're probably looking at Phaneuf for Bogosian + (yes Phaneuf is a better player than Bogosian right now) 

A team that is pretty loaded with wingers and weak at centre and D (especially if trading Phaneuf) forgive me if I doubt the accuracy of that. I suspect they would prefer to get a top 6 centre for the guy but I don't see the Jets having the depth there to make that move either. 

I read one suggestion of Kane vs Phaneuf, 8th overall and another player and people thought it was giving up too much on Toronto's part. 

That's because it IS giving up too much on Torontos part. Toronto would probably like to get a replacement D in return for Phaneuf so you're probably looking at Phaneuf for Bogosian + (yes Phaneuf is a better player than Bogosian right now) 

But Bogosian has that exciting Jets element called "potential". I'd go Bogo for DIon straight up so long as Toronto either buys him out of his current 7 mill. salary or eats at least 2.5 mill. a year. I'd also give the Leafs Redmond or a 4th or 5th round draft pick if Chevy could pull it off.

But Bogosian has that exciting Jets element called "potential". I'd go Bogo for DIon straight up so long as Toronto either buys him out of his current 7 mill. salary or eats at least 2.5 mill. a year. I'd also give the Leafs Redmond or a 4th or 5th round draft pick if Chevy could pull it off.

of course you would, because that's a deal that still favours Winnipeg. Seriously Phaneuf has a lot of flaws to him but he is still a talent. Put him in a place where he's not expected to be the best guy and he can contribute a lot of things. Get him on a team with enough leadership that his idiocy isn't front and centre and he can contribute a lot. He is one of those guys who people started shitting on based on the hype he got and it just spiralled out of control to the point where so many people so badly under rate the guy.