Quinn Smith Tests Positive for Steroids

First question: Why do so many people here seem to know so much about different steroids, their uses, "cycles", etc.?

Second question: How are so many people seemingly okay with athletes using them to get an edge, since "everyone does it" or whatever? Besides the cheating aspect of it, wouldn't the fact that it's an incredibly unhealthy and unnatural alone make it a big no-no? I think steroids are far worse that marijuana, even though I'm not a fan of recreational drug use either.

I think if we just put it all out in the open, and still had drug testing, we could then see which players needed help and which players were able to work and train as hard as possible by just being disciplined and skilled. It would make me appreciate the efforts and results of those completely clean players all the more.

1. I work in the field. Have for 20 years. 

2. Steroids are not "unhealthy." Supra physiologic doses, sure, but not normal doses. Fact is they are extremely safe when used under the guidance of a medical professional. 99.9% of athletes don't do that though, as 99.9% of athletes wouldn't qualify for a legit script. Some older guys might though. 

3. Once you understand and respect the drugs and get past all the fear mongering and misinformation you see them for what they are -- drugs with an intended purpose.

It's like Vicodin. If you need it, it's a God send. Use it as a party drug or take 10 a day and you have problems. 

First question: Why do so many people here seem to know so much about different steroids, their uses, "cycles", etc.?

Second question: How are so many people seemingly okay with athletes using them to get an edge, since "everyone does it" or whatever? Besides the cheating aspect of it, wouldn't the fact that it's an incredibly unhealthy and unnatural alone make it a big no-no? I think steroids are far worse that marijuana, even though I'm not a fan of recreational drug use either.

I think if we just put it all out in the open, and still had drug testing, we could then see which players needed help and which players were able to work and train as hard as possible by just being disciplined and skilled. It would make me appreciate the efforts and results of those completely clean players all the more.

2. Steroids are not "unhealthy." Supra physiologic doses, sure, but not normal doses. Fact is they are extremely safe when used under the guidance of a medical professional. 99.9% of athletes don't do that though, as 99.9% of athletes wouldn't qualify for a legit script. Some older guys might though. 

3. Once you understand and respect the drugs and get past all the fear mongering and misinformation you see them for what they are -- drugs with an intended purpose.

It's like Vicodin. If you need it, it's a God send. Use it as a party drug or take 10 a day and you have problems. 

That's fairly cryptic, what field would that be? Because there is more than one field that offers important perspective to this issue of steriod use in sport. Also, curious with your #3, what point exactly are you trying to make in relation to Quinn Smith's predicament?

That's fairly cryptic, what field would that be? Because there is more than one field that offers important perspective to this issue of steriod use in sport. Also, curious with your #3, what point exactly are you trying to make in relation to Quinn Smith's predicament?

I work in training/fitness, with roots in higher-level athletics. 

I am not commenting on the issue of drugs in sports. If a sport is mandated to be drug free and you geared up anyway and got caught, that's on you. If you legitimately need the stuff, get a script and contact your union rep.

But none of that is the drugs' fault. Its the players. But the media blames the drugs. 

I don't really know Quinn's predicament. If you got dinged for Winny then accept your punishment like a man. Supplement companies used to taint their stuff with methyl test and even clenbuterol back in the day, but those days are done. I did hear a Gaspari product had traces of a legit anti-estrogen though. 

I hate that whole industry. See your doctor -- if you have low T, get a legit script and go on good, clean medication with doctors monitoring. 

I work in training/fitness, with roots in higher-level athletics. 

I am not commenting on the issue of drugs in sports. If a sport is mandated to be drug free and you geared up anyway and got caught, that's on you. If you legitimately need the stuff, get a script and contact your union rep.

But none of that is the drugs' fault. Its the players. But the media blames the drugs. 

I don't really know Quinn's predicament. If you got dinged for Winny then accept your punishment like a man. Supplement companies used to taint their stuff with methyl test and even clenbuterol back in the day, but those days are done. I did hear a Gaspari product had traces of a legit anti-estrogen though. 

I hate that whole industry. See your doctor -- if you have low T, get a legit script and go on good, clean medication with doctors monitoring. 

Okay, I have a better understanding of where you're coming from. The complexity with steriod use, whether for medical purposes, performance enhancement in sport, fitness industry, supplement use etc is that these different scenarios usually don't work in isolation from one another. This can cause misinformation, confusion, stereotyping, guilt by association, responsibility deflection etc).     

Nobody seems to notice that even before the combine and after it reporters and gm's were saying that he didn't come out of nowhere.

Duane forde said in a post combine interview that smith was high on the radar already. He just wasn't getting as much media attention.

A jump from 5.82 to 4.11 isn't so large and there were guys in the combine who made more dramatic improvements than that.

And his stats weren't large enough jumps to make people suspicious . How long does it take for the steroids to show serious improvement?

If you look at him from a year ago he's still the same size and speed. And he took a drug test at the east west bowl and was clean.

I'm not saying I believe he didn't know but maybe some people are just that dumb.

Nobody seems to notice that even before the combine and after it reporters and gm's were saying that he didn't come out of nowhere.

Duane forde said in a post combine interview that smith was on the radar already. He just wasn't getting as much media attention.

A jump from 5.82 to 4.11 isn't so large and there were guys in the combine who made more dramatic improvements than that.

And his stats weren't large enough jumps to make people suspicious . How long does it take for the steroids to show serious improvement?

If you look at him from a year ago he's still the same size and speed. And he took a drug test at the east west bowl and was clean.

I'm not saying I believe he didn't know but maybe some people are just that dumb.

He likely was on last year and beat the test, either by timing it better or using different gear. 

But even so wouldn't he have had much better improvements if he was on it for that long?

Doesn't work that way. You still have a genetic ceiling. 

The only measure I could see him getting consistently better, year after year, would be the bench press for reps test. 

And that's if he trained for that test all year, which no football player does. 

Duane forde said in a post combine interview that smith was on the radar already. He just wasn't getting as much media attention.

He likely was on last year and beat the test, either by timing it better or using different gear. 

Just doing sprint training will shave a load of time off a big guys 40.  OL and DL generally don't know how to sprint, they aren't the type to run track.  So they run a 40 just based on instinct and put up whatever time, train specifically on how to run the 40 and shave a bunch of time off, combined with them getting in better all-around shape for the combine.

Going from 5.11 to 4.82 under the circumstances isn't necessarily due to PED's IMO.  I've seen lots of big guys shave time off their 40's just by learning how to run properly.

Just doing sprint training will shave a load of time off a big guys 40. OL and DL generally don't know how to sprint, they aren't the type to run track. So they run a 40 just based on instinct and put up whatever time, train specifically on how to run the 40 and shave a bunch of time off, combined with them getting in better all-around shape for the combine.

Going from 5.11 to 4.82 under the circumstances isn't necessarily due to PED's IMO. I've seen lots of big guys shave time off their 40's just by learning how to run properly.

Thats what I thought. Having that kind of improvement makes his story of not really knowing seem somewhat believable. Although I could be totally off-base with that. You never know.

Going through his history on the concordia website and his high school he's been the same weight and size since grade 10. And I doubt he's been on it since then.

Also you do have to give the kid some kind of recognition to how he handled the whole situation. He could have tried to defend himself or blamed someone but he didn't.

I don't think this is going to affect his draft stock that much.

Just doing sprint training will shave a load of time off a big guys 40. OL and DL generally don't know how to sprint, they aren't the type to run track. So they run a 40 just based on instinct and put up whatever time, train specifically on how to run the 40 and shave a bunch of time off, combined with them getting in better all-around shape for the combine.

Going from 5.11 to 4.82 under the circumstances isn't necessarily due to PED's IMO. I've seen lots of big guys shave time off their 40's just by learning how to run properly.

Thats what I thought. Having that kind of improvement makes his story of not really knowing seem somewhat believable. Although I could be totally off-base with that. You never know.

Going through his history on the concordia website and his high school he's been the same weight and size since grade 10. And I doubt he's been on it since then.

Also you do have to give the kid some kind of recognition to how he handled the whole situation. He could have tried to defend himself or blamed someone but he didn't.

I don't think this is going to affect his draft stock that much.

Yeah, sorry, you are.

No one gets caught for Winstrol without knowing they were on it. 

It is POSSIBLE he thought he was taking a different drug and got sold Winstrol -- thats happened -- but the whole "Winstrol in my protein powder" thing is laughable. 

Doesn't make him a bad person. And he's not the first FB player to take gear. Just wish he'd man up and move on. 

I just want to clarify that I wasn't trying to demonize the concept of steroids in general -- they absolutely have a medical purpose. I called them unhealthy in the context of using them to attempt to get an advantage in sport, in the same way that using any kind of drug (legal or illegal) to gain a perceived advantage can often get out of control and end up harmful to the body.

Steroids, testosterone, etc. for a medically-relevant and doctor-prescribed purpose is absolutely not unhealthy.

I still think it's a ridiculous thing to try and do in sport. Too many risks (both professionally and personally), along with the morality of it all (arguable but still a thing).

I just want to clarify that I wasn't trying to demonize the concept of steroids in general -- they absolutely have a medical purpose. I called them unhealthy in the context of using them to attempt to get an advantage in sport, in the same way that using any kind of drug (legal or illegal) to gain a perceived advantage can often get out of control and end up harmful to the body.

Steroids, testosterone, etc. for a medically-relevant and doctor-prescribed purpose is absolutely not unhealthy.

I still think it's a ridiculous thing to try and do in sport. Too many risks (both professionally and personally), along with the morality of it all (arguable but still a thing).

Haha, I dunno -- if you were 30+, starting to break down and its contract time, 200 mgs of Test a week and 2-4 IUs of GH a day would look awfully appealing. 

Haha, I dunno -- if you were 30+, starting to break down and its contract time, 200 mgs of Test a week and 2-4 IUs of GH a day would look awfully appealing. 

Nothing against you, but that in itself, is a sad statement.

No offence taken.

I just know hundreds -- and that is not an exaggeration -- of men over 35 who have turned their lives around with a similar protocol.

Granted that isn't the same as a 22 year old athlete taking Winstrol to bang out more reps in a combine test, but I think most lay people have absolutely no idea what PED's do. And more importantly, what they DON'T do. 

No offence taken.

I just know hundreds -- and that is not an exaggeration -- of men over 35 who have turned their lives around with a similar protocol.

Granted that isn't the same as a 22 year old athlete taking Winstrol to bang out more reps in a combine test, but I think most lay people have absolutely no idea what PED's do. And more importantly, what they DON'T do. 

Funny you say that. I remember listening to Barry Bonds, when asked at the time about his alleged use of PED's, explain that PED's can't help with eye-hand coordination, proper way to hit/field the ball etc. implying either you have these superior skills or you don't, PED's won't solve that for you. I thought this was a creative, albeit limited, argument.      

No offence taken.

Funny you say that. I remember listening to Barry Bonds, when asked at the time about his alleged use of PED's, explain that PED's can't help with eye-hand coordination, proper way to hit/field the ball etc. implying either you have these superior skills or you don't, PED's won't solve that for you. I thought this was a creative, albeit limited, argument.      

Bonds is/was an insufferable a-hole. He's also dead right. 

The PED's helped him hit it farther and play less injured. That's about it.