Quinn Smith Tests Positive for Steroids

Good lord, what's with all the players being caught using illegal drugs? Seriously, get your **** together, players. Get some integrity.

Oh God don't be so naive.
University educated man intent on playing in the CFL & he claims he didn't know that what he was taking (Stanozolol) was a steroid? Who is being naive here? I think it's you Atomic.

I don't think you understood what he was implying.

I guess I don't. Seemed pretty clear to me. 

Good lord, what's with all the players being caught using illegal drugs? Seriously, get your **** together, players. Get some integrity.

University educated man intent on playing in the CFL & he claims he didn't know that what he was taking (Stanozolol) was a steroid? Who is being naive here? I think it's you Atomic.

You misunderstood. I don't believe that Quinn Smith didn't know exactly what he was doing. My comment was referring to Duressler47's apparent shock at the fact that some athletes use steroids and other drugs. It is incredibly widespread.

You misunderstood. I don't believe that Quinn Smith didn't know exactly what he was doing. My comment was referring to Duressler47's apparent shock at the fact that some athletes use steroids and other drugs. It is incredibly widespread.

Duressler (to me) was stating that it seems like more athletes today are using illegal drugs like marijuana or performance enhancing drugs like Stanozolol. I think his comments are directed towards them either not being very bright or that they are cheaters. Hence the integrity comment. Some will get caught & others won't but why take the chance? 

Duressler (to me) was stating that it seems like more athletes today are using illegal drugs like marijuana or performance enhancing drugs like Stanozolol. I think his comments are directed towards them either not being very bright or that they are cheaters. Hence the integrity comment. Some will get caught & others won't but why take the chance? 

It's a naive belief that sports are pure and he was called out for it. Performance enhancing drugs have been common place in sports for years and years, at this point it's all about simply not getting caught because the pressures to perform and keep your job are too much guys are looking for any edge they can get. 

Depressing news for everyone.

It affects the possibility that Ottawa may have been pondering Smith with their first pick.

Can anything else happen to keep Lavertu away from us?

2013 Season ends...

1. LDT is a can't miss prospect Ott will take him and we'll get our C of the future..... turns out LDT is too good for the CFL

2. Well Ott is strong at C, they will likely take Focault and we'll get Lavertu.... Hage retires and now Ott is weak at C

3. Quinn Smith impresses so much he could be on Ott's radar for 1st overall and we get Lavertu.... Smith tests positive for banned substance....

No, I'm not sure the "football gods" can really do anything more to us in this scenario...

Wow... Barker... "It really depends on the team," said Barker, who has the sixth overall selection Tuesday. "You can look at it as he's got one strike against him . . . or you can look at it as the kid really cares and wanted to do as well as he could."

Wow... Barker... "It really depends on the team," said Barker, who has the sixth overall selection Tuesday. "You can look at it as he's got one strike against him . . . or you can look at it as the kid really cares and wanted to do as well as he could."

He's not really wrong, to be honest.

Because for every one that gets caught, 99 get away with it. And the rewards are money, glory, beautiful women, and making a career out of playing a game you love. I can't blame guys for trying to get every edge they can.

Which is the total wrong angle to take IMO.  I think it is more likely that teams don't really care, maybe view it as a mistake, but I don't think you can spin it positively as the bolded could suggest, that he'd do anything to do well.  Why didn't Evan Gill or David Menard have to resort to old-school steriods to show well at the combine and be great CIS players?

He's not really wrong, to be honest.

I just didn't think he'd lay it out there in the media

Question for me is how much did these steroids affect his performance. Seems to me he came out of nowhere in the draft ratings and was slotted very high. He had a very good E camp but was this all due to his consuming steroids AND would it be necessary for him to keep that level of play by continuing to use them. Huge red flag just went up for anyone who was considering selecting him. Too bad as this going to have a big negative effect on his career. A bloody shame.

Question for me is how much did these steroids affect his performance. Seems to me he came out of nowhere in the draft ratings and was slotted very high. He had a very good E camp but was this all due to his consuming steroids AND would it be necessary for him to keep that level of play by continuing to use them. Huge red flag just went up for anyone who was considering selecting him. Too bad as this going to have a big negative effect on his career. A bloody shame.

Steroids affect his ability to train - He won't need to come off his off-season steroid use to be able to avoid mandatory testing in the CFL... just pay more ******* attention to his cycle so that he doesn't test positive when the season starts.

Steroid use is particularily effective at helping you train in the off-season... Yes the use had an effect on his combine numbers, largely in that he was able to train more effectively (less downtime = more reps) up to the combine.

The thing about steroids is that they aren't some magic pill that suddenly makes you a monster athlete... all that they do is let you train harder by making your recovery time faster/more effective. 

AAS helps mainly with combine tests like bench reps, vert jump, etc. Maaaaybe 40 time but that would be a stretch.

Does NOT make you a better athlete. 

Winstrol dries the joints out like crazy so he's a fool for going that route. Then again, its not like it was for training camp. 

If he chose winnie for the fast clearance times he would've been better off with a $20 bottle of test suspension. 

Because for every one that gets caught, 99 get away with it. And the rewards are money, glory, beautiful women, and making a career out of playing a game you love. I can't blame guys for trying to get every edge they can.

Not likely he's going to be all that popular with the ladies for long- any steroid is essentially synthetic testosterone, and if guys are on it for extended periods, the steroid suppresses the natural production of testosterone. The testes slow down and finally shut down production of testosterone, eventually permanently. While on artificially high levels of the drug, typically male attributes like aggression and sexual attentiveness are heightened, but once back off the steroids, arousal and erection are very difficult to impossible, and estrogen begins to take over. The testes shrink to almond size and the person has to be on daily injected synthetic testosterone permanently to avoid losing male sexual differentiation characteristics. And that doesn't even talk about possible cardiac myopathy and loss of bone density.

Not likely he's going to be all that popular with the ladies for long- any steroid is essentially synthetic testosterone, and if guys are on it for extended periods, the steroid suppresses the natural production of testosterone. The testes slow down and finally shut down production of testosterone, eventually permanently. While on artificially high levels of the drug, typically male attributes like aggression and sexual attentiveness are heightened, but once back off the steroids, arousal and erection are very difficult to impossible, and estrogen begins to take over. The testes shrink to almond size and the person has to be on daily injected synthetic testosterone permanently to avoid losing male sexual differentiation characteristics. And that doesn't even talk about possible cardiac myopathy and loss of bone density.

Wow, is this 1982?

Come on man. That's painfully outdated info.

I don't even know where to begin. The bolded line is particularly LOLsy.  

What the hell else have you been tracking? :P

Stanozolol is used in some cheap fat burning diet supplements available online. 

Seacoast had several in their diet section. Not totally sure but some of the Muscle Mass Fuel supplements from Australia may include stanozolol still. 

In India there were two runners on their national team that tested positive and submitted their supplements which tested positive. 

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/supplement-positive-for-two-steroids/article2462754.ece

Stanozolol is used in some cheap fat burning diet supplements available online.

Seacoast had several in their diet section. Not totally sure but some of the Muscle Mass Fuel supplements from Australia may include stanozolol still.

In India there were two runners on their national team that tested positive and submitted their supplements which tested positive.

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/supplement-positive-for-two-steroids/article2462754.ece

So the question still remains... Was he really that dense or was he willingly aware and planned to cry foul if and when..

First question: Why do so many people here seem to know so much about different steroids, their uses, "cycles", etc.?

Second question: How are so many people seemingly okay with athletes using them to get an edge, since "everyone does it" or whatever? Besides the cheating aspect of it, wouldn't the fact that it's an incredibly unhealthy and unnatural alone make it a big no-no? I think steroids are far worse that marijuana, even though I'm not a fan of recreational drug use either.

I think if we just put it all out in the open, and still had drug testing, we could then see which players needed help and which players were able to work and train as hard as possible by just being disciplined and skilled. It would make me appreciate the efforts and results of those completely clean players all the more.

First question: Why do so many people here seem to know so much about different steroids, their uses, "cycles", etc.?

Second question: How are so many people seemingly okay with athletes using them to get an edge, since "everyone does it" or whatever? Besides the cheating aspect of it, wouldn't the fact that it's an incredibly unhealthy and unnatural alone make it a big no-no? I think steroids are far worse that marijuana, even though I'm not a fan of recreational drug use either.

I think if we just put it all out in the open, and still had drug testing, we could then see which players needed help and which players were able to work and train as hard as possible by just being disciplined and skilled. It would make me appreciate the efforts and results of those completely clean players all the more.

True dat.

I'd still take a chance on him, kid looked great at the combine, although I doubt he falls low enough for the Bombers to pick him up.