Quinn Smith Tests Positive for Steroids

Quinn Smith has tested positive for steroids, more specifically Stanozolol. If you have dabbled in steroids at all, you likely know it as Winstrol or "Winnies". There is no getting around this one as saying it was in a supplement... it is a very well known anabolic steroid. Really bad news for Quinn Smith.

Woooooooow.. Thats a big blunder on his part.. Way to ruin the start of his career...

Depressing news for everyone.

It affects the possibility that Ottawa may have been pondering Smith with their first pick.

Can anything else happen to keep Lavertu away from us?

Strike one against him, he won't be suspended but he's now subject to mandatory testing. It automatically carries over from the CIS and if he's caught a second time, he's suspended for three games.

I'm curious to see how he handles it, because trying to say he wasn't sure that he took it would be a red flag for me. You're not likely to find trace amounts of Winstrol in anything you'd take regularly. Chances are if he was found with it in his system, he KNEW he was taking it.

Here's Smith's account:

I can assure you it was not my intention to use a banned substance or to try to beat the system. I did not properly research the contents of supplements I obtained online and I will accept the consequences of my actions.

Since it was inadvertent on my part, I have asked to have my B sample tested and am waiting for the results.

http://ww2.canadafootballchat.com/cfl-combine-drug-test-failed/

And the CFL's reaction:

http://cfl.ca/article/concordias-quinn-smith-tests-positive-for-banned-substance

The one thing worth pointing out is that while he won't immediately face a CFL suspension, he's got CIS eligibility left and that likely went out the window. I'm pretty sure the suspension will be 2 years in the CIS.

how this affect his CFL stock, Mike? big time ?

Impossible to say. It's going to be all about how much credit executives give the steroids for his combine showing.

Without knowing the levels found in his sample, it's impossible to tell.

What I will say is that it's not going to UP his draft stock, that's for sure. He'll certainly get drafted and for the sake of squashing any speculation, I would definitely not count on him suddenly being available with our 3rd rounder.

The one thing worth pointing out is that while he won't immediately face a CFL suspension, he's got CIS eligibility left and that likely went out the window. I'm pretty sure the suspension will be 2 years in the CIS.

Yep.  Could also put Concordia under a microscope from CIS and CCES.  Hopefully the other Concordia guys in the draft aren't using the same trainer.

If it's determined he knowingly took this banned substance, can the CFL governing body take more of a hardline stance other than mandatory testing and harsh words?

If they can, they should and send a message to all players/CFL teams that this will not be tolerated even it it means top talent not playing in this league. If they don't follow-through on where they stand with performance enhancing drugs, that also sends a message but with a different meaning.  

If it's determined he knowingly took this banned substance, can the CFL governing body take more of a hardline stance other than mandatory testing and harsh words?

If they can, they should and send a message to all players/CFL teams that this will not be tolerated even it it means top talent not playing in this league. If they don't follow-through on where they stand with performance enhancing drugs, that also sends a message but with a different meaning.  

I don't think any professional league distinguishes between guilt and guilt with intent. It is not up to them to determine intent. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that even if he showed them a picture of a needle in his butt, he'd be penalized the same.

To be honest, all this "I didn't know" stuff is just window dressing anyways. If you're taking stanozolol, the chances that you didn't know it are incredibly slim and anyone in professional sports would know that. They'll deflect and claim ignorance, but the reality of the situation is that if he tested positive, it's not because he didn't know he was taking it, it's because he ****** up his cycle.

I don't think any professional league distinguishes between guilt and guilt with intent. It is not up to them to determine intent. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that even if he showed them a picture of a needle in his butt, he'd be penalized the same.

To be honest, all this "I didn't know" stuff is just window dressing anyways. If you're taking stanozolol, the chances that you didn't know it are incredibly slim and anyone in professional sports would know that. They'll deflect and claim ignorance, but the reality of the situation is that if he tested positive, it's not because he didn't know he was taking it, it's because he ****** up his cycle.

Agree. By knowingly I mean his story will look like swiss cheese, full of inconsistencies, lacking logic, contradictions and not so much a smoking gun of pictures and needle holes.

Will he be the CIS/CFL version of Shawn Merriman? Look like an absolute beast until he goes off the juice and turns into just another guy.

A guy who comes out of nowhere to blow everyone away at the combine, then tests positive for steroids, would have me thinking twice about using a high pick on him.

Good lord, what's with all the players being caught using illegal drugs? Seriously, get your **** together, players. Get some integrity.

Oh God don't be so naive.

University educated man intent on playing in the CFL & he claims he didn't know that what he was taking (Stanozolol) was a steroid? Who is being naive here? I think it's you Atomic. 

Good lord, what's with all the players being caught using illegal drugs? Seriously, get your **** together, players. Get some integrity.

Oh God don't be so naive.

University educated man intent on playing in the CFL & he claims he didn't know that what he was taking (Stanozolol) was a steroid? Who is being naive here? I think it's you Atomic.

I don't think you understood what he was implying.